Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #41
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
No that was 8 or so years back

Ok. Thanks.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
parkville , Maryland
Reliability my wife an I don't want to be on a week long trip and have a failure like we have had with the fan motor. I understand they are very well built. But I am not interested in have to climb up there to fix it when it does break. Also no one around me will work on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
johnamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:07 AM   #43
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Any new air conditioner you put on will be less reliable than your Armstrong from my experience.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
parkville , Maryland
Yea that's what everyone tells me. But finding someone to fix it now seems to be an issue.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #45
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
It is worth fixing. You need a commercial refrigeration repairman.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #46
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnamjr View Post
I am about to remove my Armstrong unit. Needs a fan motor. That's it.

How do you know it needs a fan motor?
Your profile says you are an AV tech. I see you are doing some rear end repairs on your TW. I think replacing an electric motor and checking electrical circuitry is within your capabilities. Nearly every part for an old Armstrong AC is available from Grainger.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
parkville , Maryland
From grainger? I did not know that. I am an av tech. But I also know my limitations. Hvac is one of them. I have had two different Hvac guys look at it. Neither of them wanted to be responsible for working on it up on the top of the as. They also did not seem confident in doing work on it At all. Even if I put up the scaffolding. And my local Rv repair facility said to just replace it. I would rather have something that every Rv facility can work on when it comes to that.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #48
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have a clients trailer out at a local shop having it's Armstrong repaired....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:27 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
parkville , Maryland
Frank it John Morris in parkville. I have talked to you many times. I don't know why I spaced on asking you about it. Would you know anyone who wants mine? I also have a penguin drain kit new in box.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #50
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The Armstrong is the last of the serviceable unites to be used. Now a days they just trash the unit no matter what breaks. This form of disposable items disappoints me so...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #51
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnamjr View Post
From grainger? I did not know that. I am an av tech. But I also know my limitations. Hvac is one of them. I have had two different Hvac guys look at it. Neither of them wanted to be responsible for working on it up on the top of the as. They also did not seem confident in doing work on it At all. Even if I put up the scaffolding. And my local Rv repair facility said to just replace it. I would rather have something that every Rv facility can work on when it comes to that.

If they aren't confident in fixing it, they shouldn't be in the business. It is as basic as air conditioning gets. RV techs don't work on AC units as a general rule. They will remove your old unit and install a new unit. I understand your thought process on this, but take a look at how many brand new or a few years old ACs are replaced around here. I'm sure that if Don above had fixed his Armstrong years ago, he wouldn't be fiddling around with another throw away RV AC unit.

I personally would rather have an AC unit that has proven to run for 40-50+ years and can keep on running with repair parts that are readily available.

But, if you chose to remove the Armstrong, I'd love to have it as long as it is carefully removed by Frank.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Unhappy Tough choice--replace my original Armstrong with new AC

Oh to be in my shoes. I have been following the many threads on the topic of Armstong AC replacement and AC replacement in general. Lewster! Adonh! you guys help to make this process so much easier..I am NOT mechanically gifted- but do fix some things. Tough choice to make. My AS is an original 1973 31' with very few changes to it. I just bought it last week. The Armstrong blows warm air, the compressor kicks on and off quickly, all operated on a Honeywell wall thermostat.

1. Some guys are strongly in favor of keeping the Armstrong and trying to repair it. That would be cool -except that no one wants to tackle it- or no one around here, is believable enough to me that they have the capability. How do I safely get an AC repairman on the roof of my AS?

2. Take out the old- and in with the new. OK- now do I get the RVP Mach 8, or the Penguin II? Both have their pros and cons..is it so close of a match that I am getting too bogged down in the small details?

3. Do I use the AS drainpan, or get the Dometic drain cup kit?

4. Do I route the drain line inside and be authentic (what if its blocked? I haven't had a chance to run the AC so I don't know if its working..)OR do I go against some threaders and let it evaporate outside?

5. If I get a new AC, I have to think about the thermostat now. Manual, Wall? Electronic, portable?Too many choices....lots to know

I dont want to make a mistake, and have a mess on my hands. I am almost ready to blow off the whole idea, and buy a few fans....

I would appreciate as much input from the community as possible to answer these questions- or be able to talk to someone on the phone? Call AS?
Shapmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I first bought my AS it had a Coleman a/c in it. That unit died while I was in getting service at JC. Rather than mess around with the old unit, I opted to get a new one, which JC happily installed. About a month later we were camped at a white-water rafting resort for a friend's wedding. We had what we thought was 30-amp service, so we switched on the a/c - and nothing happened. I was sure that the unit had gone belly up, but I then noticed on the monitor panel for the Xantrex inverter/charger that when I attempted to switch on the a/c, the supply voltage immediately dropped from 115-volts to 85 volts. So the safety feature to prevent compressor motor burnout had been kicking in.

Sometimes getting a newer a/c does have some benefits.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #54
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapmaui View Post
Oh to be in my shoes. I have been following the many threads on the topic of ............
I dont want to make a mistake, and have a mess on my hands. I am almost ready to blow off the whole idea, and buy a few fans....

I would appreciate as much input from the community as possible to answer these questions- or be able to talk to someone on the phone? Call AS?
Have an "RV"
Tech remove the unit carefully and install a new modern one.

Send the old one to TOP!!! He can get it fixed!

Any AC person can fix that.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Hey CWF- just wondering why you say to get a new AC AND have the old one repaired? Would someone want the old Armstrong for rehab purposes perhaps? Because once I put in a new one- the Armstrong becomes dead weight to me I would think-
Old 07-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Oh - I'm slow- CWF- I see that you were joking about getting the Armstrong repaired....
Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #57
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapmaui View Post
Oh - I'm slow- CWF- I see that you were joking about getting the Armstrong repaired....
Well, sorta kidding... if the Armstrong is truly 'dead weight' for you, perhaps Top or someone else WOULD pay to have it shipped to them..... then once fixed, it would be great to have...

Please don't just trash it without trying to share...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
parkville , Maryland
Well mine is coming down this weekend. I'll post it in the classifieds and see what happens.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
The one thing I am not completely satisfied with is the manual control air distribution ceiling assembly. It does the job but the actual vents, 4 of them 1 front and back and 1 on each side are just holes cut in the assembly with plastic doors that open and close. No directional vent louvers of any kind. Also the front vent get less air flow than the back and sides since the air must be funneled around the return air duct. This seems to cause the very front of trailer to heat up during day since the air flow does not reach that far. I am not sure about the side vents in a narrow trailer and I have these closed. Time will tell
Will covering the back vent force more air to the front?
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #60
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
The new Dometic Brisk II is installed and works fine including the auxiliary drain kit. The one thing I am not completely satisfied with is the manual control air distribution ceiling assembly. It does the job but the actual vents, 4 of them 1 front and back and 1 on each side are just holes cut in the assembly with plastic doors that open and close. No directional vent louvers of any kind. Also the front vent get less air flow than the back and sides since the air must be funneled around the return air duct. This seems to cause the very front of trailer to heat up during day since the air flow does not reach that far. I am not sure about the side vents in a narrow trailer and I have these closed. Time will tell
Don,
Dometic still make the older style air distribution box with directional vents. The older style is quieter and seems to flow more air.