Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Dometic E1 code for zone to solved

Howdy all - I thought I would share my experience here.

This is from a 2014 30FB Bunk model.

On each AC unit there is a circuit board and there are two short phone cables that come down. On the rear unit, one cable goes to the inside controller, the other goes to another cable that connects the front AC unit.

These phone cables are connected with regular phone connector blocks, the type that you plug into and can get at most hardware stores.

On my unit, they were both corroded to the point of broken wires inside the phone connector blocks as well as severe erosion of the phone cable (normal RJ11) pins. This caused zone 2 to show E1 and not work.

I first ran a cable directly from the second jack on the circuit board to the forward AC unit and it worked straight away. Then I began troubleshooting the aforementioned connectors to isolate the issue.

In my case, the fix was a new cable from the rear unit inside, new connector blocks for all cables, and new tips for the OEM cable that runs inside between the AC units. The cable toned out, so I knew it was sound, but the connectors were clearly eroded.

I also put in plenty of dialectric grease to prevent this from happening again. We are based in Colorado and usually spend around 2-3 weeks in the midwest. So for us to have this much corrosion so quickly is concerning. But the grease should prevent it, and no evidence of any other issues.

Total cost was around $30.00 in phone parts from the hardware store. Back to being good as new! As much as I dislike Dometic stuff, their AC units are logically simple and easy to work on.

I hope this helps someone!
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
Ebb and Flo

Tulsa , Oklahoma
not a problem at all?

My dometic thermostat showed error code E1 "comm error". Hot, humid, pissed. could not get it to work on Saturday, July 4! Decided to go get dinner and figure out plan b for the weekend.

During dinner some research indicated it could be a heat issue, for me and the AC units. One post (don't remember what site) suggested a bag of ice and a fan blowing cool air on the thermostat.

A couple of hours later, and after shutting down everything (Shore power and Batteries ) While I am RTFM'ing wife starts up the AC as though there was no problem at all.

Thank God for the Wife, and patience to let everything cool off, including my temper

Does a wiring problem still exist? don't know. Maybe, but time will tell if we get this error back.

4 nights later no problem.

Cheers!

Ebb - 2015 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Flo - 2012 30' International Serenity
davidlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Cycling power forces a reboot of the CCC2 thermostatic controller so if the communication cables and connectors are a bit weak, a reboot will get you back up. I would get some electrical connector cleaner and dielectric grease and then clean the connectors and grease them up so you don't have this problem in the future. Your connection are likely weak....
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote