Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Domestic freezer door won't open!!

Seriously anyone else had this issue? opened/closed fine ystdy. Now im trying to go on a trip and it wont open!!! has the plastic push in handle. Only dumb stuff happens to me! Nothing in there cept frozen water bottles but would like use of my freezer on this trip..plus the water Dont want to break cheap plastic handle.
Thanks
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Seriously anyone else had this issue? opened/closed fine ystdy. Now im trying to go on a trip and it wont open!!! has the plastic push in handle. Only dumb stuff happens to me! Nothing in there cept frozen water bottles but would like use of my freezer on this trip..plus the water Dont want to break cheap plastic handle.
Thanks
LilNomad
Dumb question (and remember, there are no dumb questions, only dump people asking them!) Does your freezer have a latch to keep it closed in transit? Other than the handle, I mean. My fridge has a metal tab on the top corner that swivels into place to block the door from opening.

If it's just the latch on the handle, try this… slip a knife blade between the seal and the fridge on the side with the handle, and slide it down until it makes contact with the latch, then try pulling the door open. Use a regular table knife or a butter knife; don't want to cut anything. If it doesn't work sliding down from the top, try again sliding up from underneath.

There are two things that might happen; the knife blade might move the latch, allowing the door to open, OR inserting the knife blade will temporarily break the seal, allowing air into the freezer and breaking a partial vacuum that could be holding the door closed.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If all else fails, try turning it off. Maybe your water bottles froze and the ice migrated to the door.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I suspect that when you opened the freezer and closed it some humid air flash-froze the door shut. Happens to me all the time, too. Just be sure that the plastic handle is fully released, then pull - takes a pretty good pull.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
No success with butter knife...will see if someone can get it open during the trip. Its moving when I pull from top and latch fully pushed down but it wont open. sigh..
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote