Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Do you have OTD?, I think I do!

What is OTD? Overloaded Tool Disorder! and yes, I am afflicted!
I am not even going to go into my ESPO (Excessive Spare Parts Overload)
>
Anyway, I was cleaning out the MH between events and decided to empty the unneeded crap out of the bottoms of the tool bags.
I also decided to weigh the contents of the tool bags and spread out the tools for some photos:
The first photo is "most"of my tool collection that I take in the MH everywhere I go, it is rather compact and I was surprised that it was only 60 pounds! That is still three 30 packs of beer!
I am not counting my tire tools or miscellaneous hardware or duct tape collection, that could weigh another 60 pounds!
>
The second photo is my hand tool collection, I did not realize I had so much electrical tape, so I dumped a few rolls.
The wench & socket set is about 30 pounds on its own, and although I may not have used everything in there, I have used most of them.
>
The final photo is my drill set, you may not think you need a drill on the road, but I use it often, if not for maintaining the MH, it comes in handy for drilling holes in wood buildings to get a power cord for shore power. (I do ask permission before I do this)

So, anyone else out there willing to admit to OTD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToolPile60lbs.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	292592   Click image for larger version

Name:	HandToolsAnd Wrenches.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	292593  

Name:	DrillSet.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	292594  
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For my last extended trip I tried to cut down on the tools I packed. No surprise that I needed almost everything I left home. Had to make the rounds borrowing tools that I left at home. Lesson learned, my bigger box has been restocked and ready to go.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
. . .
The wench & socket set is about 30 pounds on its own . . .
. . .
There's your problem!

On the other hand, if she only weighs 30 pounds with sockets . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
For my last extended trip I tried to cut down on the tools I packed. No surprise that I needed almost everything I left home. Had to make the rounds borrowing tools that I left at home. Lesson learned, my bigger box has been restocked and ready to go.
This has happened to me twice. (My tool box is too heavy.) So, I reduce the contents to reduce weight, but then I find I need some of what I have left behind. Very strange phenomenon. Makes me get closer to believing in gremlins, elves, ghosts or risk-averse angels (or similar entities).
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, that's a lot of tools.

Maggie
Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Do you have OTD?, I think I do!

With the right tools at hand, plus duck tape, we can fix anything.

Failing that, the essential tool devolves to a cell phone and the American Express card....

Personally, I'd rather use the tools...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I don't see a torque wrench, a breaker bar, or a 3' section of pipe for a persuader. (we called a torque amplifier).

Good start, though.

One of our driver's said his tool box had a six pack and a newspaper.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Well....I have at least 10 times what you have shown. Overflowing rollaway tool chest, hand power tools, Delta Unisaw with extensions that take up most of the garage, 6" Delta jointer, power stationary and hand held planners, 10 or more large wood clamps, 4" dust vacuum, 3 air compressors or various size with largest 240v 3hp, wire feed welder and old school Miller stick welder, 2 floor jacks, 5 ton bottle jack, box wrenchs to 1-3/8", sockets to same, Cyclo polisher,, 5 of every size tap made to 3/4", drill press, 25 diferant size and angle counter sinks, at least 200 twist drills up to 1", heli coil inserts and tools, Htvp spray gun, engine hoist, etc, etc, anyone bored yet? I am.
There is much more and I have been trying to sell off extras. Lol
I grew up doing mechanical work and my dad was a machinist by trade, when he passed I ended up with all his stuff on top of mine.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I don't see a torque wrench, a breaker bar, or a 3' section of pipe for a persuader. (we called a torque amplifier).

Good start, though.

One of our driver's said his tool box had a six pack and a newspaper.
No torque wrench needed, ever since my Air Force daZe, as a weapons mechanic, I have developed a calibrate elbow!
As for the other things, they are stored with the spare tire, jack and jack stand.

One other collection that is not on either list is my collection of cordage. Since I do festivals and try to do video projection and sound, having AC power is better than draining my batteries with the inverter or stinking up the area with my generator. I typically bring 300' or more of cord. Heaviest is 12 gauge, lightest is 16.

Between all my stuff, brew and family, no wonder I cant get over 7MPG!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Well....I have at least 10 times what you have shown. Overflowing rollaway tool chest, hand power tools, Delta Unisaw with extensions that take up most of the garage, 6" Delta jointer, power stationary and hand held planners, 10 or more large wood clamps, 4" dust vacuum, 3 air compressors or various size with largest 240v 3hp, wire feed welder and old school Miller stick welder, 2 floor jacks, 5 ton bottle jack, box wrenchs to 1-3/8", sockets to same, Cyclo polisher,, 5 of every size tap made to 3/4", drill press, 25 diferant size and angle counter sinks, at least 200 twist drills up to 1", heli coil inserts and tools, Htvp spray gun, engine hoist, etc, etc, anyone bored yet? I am.
There is much more and I have been trying to sell off extras. Lol
I grew up doing mechanical work and my dad was a machinist by trade, when he passed I ended up with all his stuff on top of mine.
I assume you dont pack all of that in your Airstream for y our voyages?

On your list, I did not mention my on board air compressor that does the suspension and air horn, I do have a air chuck and 50' of hose to fill tires or run air tools
Old 08-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I assume you dont pack all of that in your Airstream for y our voyages?

On your list, I did not mention my on board air compressor that does the suspension and air horn, I do have a air chuck and 50' of hose to fill tires or run air tools
Oh shoot, I missed you carry all that! No I carry bare minimum in trailer like maybe my Leatherman tool and hopefully some beer.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My first couple of years of solo travel, I carried Doug's entire tool bag with me, flat on the area between the two front seats.

It was huge, probably weighed 20lbs, and had things in it I couldn't even identify, much less use.

Last winter, I ordered myself a small, Stanley canvas toolbag, and reduced what I carry to the necessities, including a couple of those small items with interchangeable heads....perfect for me.

If anything is needed beyond what I carry, it is also beyond my level of expertise, and so time to call for help.

Maggie
Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
One of my most valuable tools was not in those photos, I keep it safe in the overhead storage, and without it, many tasks would never get done.
It is a Optivisor 2X
http://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVISOR-Binocular-Magnifier-Lensplate-Magnifies/dp/B000BPWPRK
It is great for working with small parts and the microscopic text. It was the best $30 I ever spent on a tool
Old 08-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Damn, I thought my 144 piece was enough. Time to go shopping!
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Definitely dealing with OTD here, working on building the ESPO. Is there such a thing as excessive spares?

Right now I'm in the process of packing up my entire sceen here in Az for a move to the Fl Panhandle to a new base camp property that my brother and I just got.

So not only will I be carrying the usual LOAD of tools. But many extras, as well as my total load of personal effects in the coach and towing the Porsche. Plus my sister is going to be driving my pickup truck loaded with overload shop tools etc. driving in convoy. Needless to say we are planning to avoid mountains as much as possible.

We may have stumbled upon a classic motorhome common denominator WayneG. I've got a VERY similar on hand kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	292691  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I carry at least that many tools. No 3' cheater, but, I do carry 24' breaker bar and usually a 6' pipe "cheater" in case I decide re-adjust or tighten the hitch bolts which I have done. I keep it with the flag poles.

I have, however, resisted the urge to carry a floor jack because I've been able to use the 12v air compressor the 4 times I've had flats. All tires were basically new Michelins, 3 times tires on the truck have picked up screws or nails and one on the trailer had the metal stem loosen and start leaking. It sure beats changing the tire. I have also used the compressor a number of times to assist others.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . guess that 24' breaker bar will give you some torque . . .

Old 08-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . . guess that 24' breaker bar will give you some torque . . .

Longest I ever used was a 6' canopy pole to loosen a lug nut. The pole was not sturdy enough
Old 08-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You mean the 30 pound "wench and socket set" was not up to the task? [See Post #3]

Old 08-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2010 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Toano , Virginia
Impressive set of tools you have there. Although I don't share the same OTD as you, I do have OJD. I've been weeding out junk I don't use or need for years, and I still have toooo much.
TinTikiHut is offline   Reply With Quote