Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Diesel Soot inside cabin

Help!
We have a brand new 2011 25' FB flying Cloud. We bought it and on the way home we found the water heater was sending carbon monoxide into the compartment. We took it to an Airsteam Service Center and they could not find a "smoking gun". they caulked around the water heater and we have not had any monoxide in the cabin.

However, the huge quantities of diesel soot that have spread throughout the entire cabin have persisted.....We thought the water heater was the culprit, but now we don't know what it is. The soot has impregnated the white plastic around the Fantastic Fans and it has stained the white covers of the sterilite containers. It has been found inside every cabinet in the cabin, and on the walls. We have taken it on ONE trip since we bought it.

We tow with a 2005 Dodge 250 Cummins and get 16.4 mpg. The vehicle is in top shape and does NOT emit tons of black smoke.

Can anyone help?
Thank you
vegangirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Are you using a modified chip or is it still a factory program?
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Firstly, welcome to the Forums - we're glad to have you.

The Airstream does not do anything with diesel. How could it come from the trailer?

As for your water heater, were you running the water heater while driving down the road? Why?

Not leaping to conclusions, but perhaps the truck should be checked out.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi pmclemore,

No, the water heater was not running during travel. The truck was serviced before the trip and after the trip. No problems. We are wondering why and how the soot is getting onto the cabin when all windows, doors, vents are closed and turned off. We are running the fridge only when we are driving. we do not think it is anything in the trailer, but do not know why we have black soot all over everything.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I think I would check the underbelly. Maybe there is some seams that are not sealed. Check the tongue
penetrations
Maybe you need to do a positive air flow test on the unit like the do for water leaks.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Firstly, welcome to the Forums - we're glad to have you.

The Airstream does not do anything with diesel. How could it come from the trailer?

As for your water heater, were you running the water heater while driving down the road? Why?

Not leaping to conclusions, but perhaps the truck should be checked out.

Pat

No but that 2005 Dodge Cummins Diesel in front of the trailer could have something to do with the problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Could you explain? I am sorry, but i know nothing about the chip!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi and thank you.. We think airstream should do this....How do we go about getting this accomplished?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Could reroute your exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	129755  
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Sorry, i did not explain myself well. We thought that the diesel soot was coming in through the pathway that the water heater monoxide was. when the monoxide problem was solved, we thought the soot problem would be also....but not so.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangirl57 View Post
Could you explain? I am sorry, but i know nothing about the chip!!!
A lot of Diesel truck owner buy programmers to change the settings on their truck for added power and towing. It changes all kinds of settings, some of that cause the truck to show more residue.

If the refrigerator is on the exhaust side you could be getting some through there.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
there are thousands of diesel trucks towing trailers...why might our truck be different?
Thank you
Old 05-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi and thank you...no, we do not have any mods on the truck. The fridge is not on the same side as the exhaust pipe, but the water heater is. We are wondering if there are still air gaps around the water heater that are allowing the soot to get in. I have spent more time cleaning the trailer than enjoying it. i am very disappointed in the quality control at the factory.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I am towing with a Powers Stroke.
From now seeing your truck and where the exhaust is I would think it could be coming down the Refrigerator Rain Hood area and see if there is soot on the inside of it.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I tow with a '99 Powerstroke with the trailer completely closed up. I never encounter soot or dust in the trailer. It would have to be horrible to get into all the cabinets, etc.

Something is very wrong here. First question I ask .. do you see exhaust smoke from your Dodge? Are you washing soot off the outside of truck or trailer? Are you towing with vents, windows, or Fantastic Fan open?
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Pretty wierd, to say the least. I've never, ever, heard of this problem. Something is missing from the equation. Have you had a friend follow you whilst towing to see if they can see any signs of the exhaust system smoking? Can you narrow it down to anyplace where it's really bad or a sign of ingress? A friend riding in the coach during hard acceleration might be able to spot (or smell) where it's coming in.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Can you borrow a gas burning TV from someone? Maybe this will help find out if it's the truck or maybe something else.
How do you know it's diesel soot? Our MH has the carpeting (mouse fur) on the walls. It gets a lot of black dust on it. We know that its aluminum dust.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your input! We are quite sure it is Diesel soot because of the color and how it impregnates plastic...it will not come out of a lot of the plastic. I clean and vacuum the trailer daily when on the road and there is a difference between the dust and soot.

Yes there is soot on the truck by the exhaust pipe. I also see this on just about every other diesel truck.
I really think that the airstream should be sealed well enough that no dust or soot or any other foreign matter should get inside.
These trailers are ,of course ,designed to be towed!
The truck does not emit abnormal amounts of soot; we get 16.8 mpg and we don't stomp on the accelerator.
I don't want to take it out because I know I will get soot all over and then spend most of my time cleaning it. Bummer...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Maybe post a few pictures of the soot stained areas inside the trailer. It's hard to imagine that much soot getting inside the trailer unless your truck is billowing black smoke.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
You may find that there is not just one quick answer to your problem and so far you have received some pretty good ideas on how to fix it and what is causing the problem. I had a similar problem as you with an old trailer (87 A/S) and truck combo (84 Ford diesel) I used to have. I found out it was the truck causing the problem.

When going up grades the truck pushed out smoke. You can divert the exhaust with an exhaust pipe extention or have dual exhaust put on the truck that exit out to the back on both sides of the truck. The duals must be pointed to the sides and not straight back.
The other thing you may find is that on your model trailer the back bumper area is like a giant scoop for air and exhaust, take a look and see if you can seal some of it. The pull down step may need to be covered, a piece of vinyl attached with velcro will seal that for you. Another area to look at with the trailer are the wheel wells, you might need to seal them with caulking. The person who told you to keep the roof vents closed is correct too. If you leave them open even a crack while driving they will act as a vaccuum and suck more smoke into the trailer thru the cracks or hole where smoke is entering now.
After doing all those things with my old trailer and truck combo I was able to travel without any problems with the truck exhaust entering the trailer.
The first big thing is to divert the trucks exhaust away from the trailer.
Yes it is a bummer, and I hope these tips everyone gave will help you find a solution.