Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy Design feature or possible Nightmare??

Newbie Alert!!

My Wife and I just purchased our first AS. Actually our first vehicle of this type period! (I Almost said the tr--ler word. Am I a quick study, or what?!) I admit it, I'm already obsessed. I don't even have her home yet, but I constantly look at the album of digital pix and dream of the possiblities.

I tried to check everything that I could before purchase. Unfortunately, there were no utilities close enough for a thorough checkout of all systems before purchase, but I will certainly have Everything safety-checked by professionals before use. Finally I just took a leap of faith! Truthfully, I was so drawn to the AS I just couldn't say NO. (Did the '76 models have a tractor-beam option??)

I could see some rust in a few places on the (barely) exposed frame, but the places I would really expect to see problems look fine - shock mounting points, built-in jacks, even the exposed frame around the hitch is "relatively" clean, but then something caught my eye...

The front of he AS bends in slightly just above the rub-rail behind the propane bottles. (skin is slightly concave) This extends the width of the "Flat" panel, and is very uniform. Please say this is a design feature, or a minor problem at worst. You can even make something up if you think it will make me feel better!

I checked for the crinkle that would help identify "rear-end seperation" as described in this glorius forum, but have never seen anything mentioned about this. Hopefully because it's not a problem! I have even poured over pix to see if I can spot this on other AS's, (my momma would slap me for that one!) make that Airstreams, but I can barely even make it out in the pix of mine! (Can you see the thin beam of light to the right of the tank bend out?)

Am I in Deep-water??

Thanks!!
Jason

(I'm not going to start apologizing for my stupid questions, it would only set a far too time-consuming precedent! But I will thank you graciously in advance for your input!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l side.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1218  
Old 01-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jason,

Let me attempt to set your mind at ease.

1. Say the following sentence out loud. The use of the word trailer is not bad. It is a trailer, but it is the best kind of trailer, because it is an AIRSTREAM.

2. Plan on using some elbow grease to simply pull the propane bottles and sand the A frame, treat it with some POR 15 to stop the rust, and them paint it silver again. This is a standard maintenence item.

3. The odd flex or bow you mentioned is more than likely just the way this one was put together. I looked in my "History of the Land Yacht" book and the new ones sitting in the factory have the same bow as you describe on some of them. One of the reasons that an Airstream lasts so long is because it flexes and springs back. I would watch the area, but don't lose any sleep over IMHO.

4. By 76 the rear end seperation issue from a design standpoint was addressed in manufacture. This is not to say that abuse and neglect could not cause it, but looking at the picture it looks great.

5. You are teasing us with the idea that you have many pictures of the trailer but only posted one. You have an album you can fill right here on the forum. Then we can all pour over them.

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to seeing more of your new prized posession.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Man! Was that quick?! It's about 10:30 my time, and I was hoping someone would reply before I shut down for the night.

THANKS!!

I do have some other photos, but let me warn you - she's pretty rough in a couple of areas. But hey, no excuses, it was a chance to own a classic piece of Americana that was actually in my price range!

I'll definitely figure out how to post more "Before" pix. If I don't, how can I ever expect to properly beam over the "After" shots!!

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Welcome!

Don't worry about the "before" pics, and the list of things to do. It gives all of us something to talk / dream about (hmmmm, NEXT project will be......). Above all, have fun. Your TT (travel trailer) looks great.
congrats!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jason.
If the front plate, the panel below the front window, is buckled, it suggests that the front of the trailer was dropped or that a severe bump was hit.
It could also mean the the front hold down plate welds, have failed or fractured.
If you can provide photo's in greater detail, we will be happy to assist you to ease your mind, or suggested repairs.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Andy, thanks for the info... I'll try to get a better photo in the next week or two. (She's still about 100 miles away)

Thanks again!