Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2024, 10:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Critical Spare Parts

I recently had a thermostat fail on me while camping. It wasnt a big deal, Goldilocks ambient temperatures, but it got me thinking how miserable it would have been in extreme heat or cold conditions. Especially in cold conditions when if I was unable to run the furnace then suddenly I would be at risk of freezing of tanks and piping. So, I have concluded that the thermostat is a critical piece of equipment whose failure could have some rolling consequences, and therefore I should carry a spare, which I now do.

But what else should be on that list, or in that bag of critical spare equipment? Obviously fuses and the like. Spare water pump? Spare propane regulator?

Any thoughts from this Forum on critical parts?

Many thanks
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Propane regulator is not something I worry about but the water pump is certainly a great idea. I carry a new Sureflo 4008, if I had to do it again I think I'd purchase the Seaflo 42. Better design and seems a lot quieter in the Youtubes I've reviewed.

Thermostat is a good idea but I haven't got one yet. I think the furnace control board is more suspect so I purchased a Dinosaur Electronics FAN50PLUS Universal Igniter Board with Fan Control.

Get an extra furnace sail switch while you're stocking up.

Got a AC/DC clamp-on multimeter for troubleshooting. Having the ability to clamp onto a wire and know if current is present or not is invaluable.

Rivets, electrical tape, wire crimps, etc. I'm sure everyone has a pile of general maintenance stuff, I've got 6 full tubs in the back seat of my truck... :-)

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 02:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Spare propane hoses (braided stainless exterior) for the propane tank to regulator connection. These harden, crack, then leak eventually.

Spare propane regulator. These can gum up and restrict propane flow enough to prevent running the water heater, oven/stovetop, or space heater.

Pressure switches for trailer water pump

Spare water pump. Serves double duty for me as I use it to pump water out of jerry jugs when boondocking in order to have enough pressure to push the water through my water softener and 3 stage filtration system.

Sail switch for the propane space heater

Some folks carry a spare trailer brake rebuild kit and a spare set of brake shoes (I haven't decided whether or not to carry this yet).

Rivet gun, and of course a variety of rivets.

4 leaf clover for luck
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 04:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Sleeping Bag

Over the years I've had 3 furnace fails. I keep a sleeping bag rated for 20°F in the camper.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
For me, the question is, "What would happen if this fails?" Obviously, a furnace failure when the overnight low is going to be 65 is a lot different than if the daily high is going to be 40. If you are full-timers, as we are, and moving fairly frequently, extreme temperatures are less likely. The other questions is, "How easily can I get a replacement?" If I can pick up a replacement at Wal-Mart I'm less likely to carry the replacement part with me.

Another concern is whether or not I can actually replace the item in question myself. If I have to use a mobile tech or go to a shop I'll usually assume that they either have or can get the replacement part. Now, if there is an unusual (rare) item and I'm going to be out in the middle of nowhere for some time I may take it with me.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My thought process on essential spare parts-what parts if they were lost or broken would prevent me from trailering AND are not something easily obtained at a major hardware outlet, WalMart, or auto parts store? What would keep me from getting home?

So I decided I should have extra hitch pins, hitch reducer, and equalizer clips, because if these were lost or fell down the sewer or whatever I couldn't proceed.

We keep extra Airstream keys in the vehicle.

Aside from that we keep basic hand tools and fasteners in the rig. It seems to me the most often needed items are wood glue, screws, velcro, and zip ties.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"It seems to me the most often needed items are wood glue, screws, velcro, and zip ties." Followed by the spare part you own but left behind.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Mixing valve.

Tape that you can put around a leaky pex pipe.

Maybe some extra hinges or door latches.

I also keep extra hitch parts that are critical for my Propride (things that can easily be lost).
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Spare water pump. Serves double duty for me as I use it to pump water out of jerry jugs when boondocking in order to have enough pressure to push the water through my water softener and 3 stage filtration system.
What water pump do you use for this purpose? I am considering adding an extra pump to my kit, and would love to have it be double use like that, probably that can be AC powered by the exterior plug on my trailer.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:12 PM   #10
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
One often overlooked item in the spare parts bin is cash. It's inevitable that when you need it the most for an emergency repair you don't have enough cash. There are still many places, especially in remote areas, which only accept cash.

I meet more and more people who travel with virtually no cash nowadays, relying on phone app payment and credit cards. But, we always have at least a few hundred in cash for emergency flat repairs, tows, or even spare parts needed along the road, and have even had to tap into the reserve cash to fuel the truck when the only station around didn't have a working credit card machine.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:08 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Beside carrying a stocked tool box, I typically carry this stuff with me:

1 drum and a set of bearings (still need to get them for the new trailer)
Grease for hitch and bearings and other lubes for gaskets, hinges, etc
Duct tape, wire, elec tape
Misc door, drawer parts, screws, screw caps, etc
Window parts (not the glass)
Some window and door gaskets
"O"rings (various sizes)
Plumbers tape
Velcro
RV antifreeze (if I am traveling on rare occasion off season)
Replacement A/C filters
Canned air to blow out AC coils, screened fridge vent
Air compressor (12v)
Car wash soap, small bucket, wax, microfiber rags
Small step ladder 3'
Various small amounts of caulk. (Silkaflex, AdSeal, Acryl-R)
Water pump
Fuses (various sizes)
Water bandit
Extra fresh water hose
Extra fresh water filter
Military type folding shovel
Collapsible 5 gallon fresh water tote
Spare valve steel valve stems
Spare utility door locks
Spare service door cam locks (I lock my fridge vent door, fresh water fill, exterior shower door and battery box)
Drill with small selection of bits and a punch
Various power plugs and adapters (12v and 120v)
6 ton capacity hydraulic jack
Highway emergency triangles and lights
VW shipping solar panels (12x12) that connects to the TV cig lighter and maintains the TV batteries to negate parasitic draw
Misc bolts, nuts, washers, band clamps, etc
1-2 quarts of- Motor oil, trans fluid, gear oil, xfer case oil- gallon of premixed coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, oil filter
Flashlights, candles, 12v powered work light, 1 million CP 12v floodlight

I'm sure I have a variety of other things I pack. All in, minus the tool box, maybe 100lbs of additional weight, that mostly fits in one tub in the truck and/or some in a tub in the RV.

I also have an 900w inverter generator that runs off LP, but only bring that on long boondocking trips.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
What water pump do you use for this purpose? I am considering adding an extra pump to my kit, and would love to have it be double use like that, probably that can be AC powered by the exterior plug on my trailer.
I bought this pump for this purpose.

Anbull 12V Water Pressure... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YQ48XC4...p_mob_ap_share

It works well for pumping water out of Jerry jugs (it is self priming), pressuring it to 65psi, and pushing it through my water softener and 3 stage filtration system.

It is 12v powered. I added a 12v Anderson sb50 receptacle to my battery box to power my viair air compressor and this water pump (and any other 12v appliances I might buy in the future). You could also buy a zamp pigtail and connect this pump to the solar panel port on the side of your battery box since that port directly connects to the battery terminals inside the battery box.

I don't expect to use this particular pump as a long term replacement for the pump in the Airstream if it fails. I would probably only use this pump temporarily in a pinch if the airstream factory pump fails.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Spare Pump + Transfer Pump Kit

hikingcamera, like foobar I bought a spare pump (Seaflo) but it's the same footprint as the factory Shurflo. I made a transfer pump kit but can use the pump to replace the factory one if it fails.

I got to use the transfer pump last year while camping at Colorado SP with electric only. I have a 30 gallon bladder and used the pump to transfer it. I've used gravity in the past but the pump really sped things up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	471.1 KB
ID:	443450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	443451  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8900.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	443452  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
I bought this pump for this purpose. Anbull 12V Water Pressure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
hikingcamera, like foobar I bought a spare pump (Seaflo) but it's the same footprint as the factory Shurflo. I made a transfer pump kit but can use the pump to replace the factory one if it fails.
Very cool. Maybe this will be my next project. We have Jerry cans, one that is always in the truck and full of water, and another if we want to refill our fresh tank 5 gallons at a time. Filling is a pain though, this would make it easier.

Plus I have this delusion that someday I may need to run water directly from a lake or stream and push it through my two stage Blutech water filter.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Great ideas here.
I guess the list of spare parts could be endless; I'm a bit of a minimalist, but do carry:

Spare water pump (Shurflo)
Dinosaur control board for water heater (won't do me any good with my new rig, but could help a fellow Airstreamer)
Rivet gun/rivets
Spare electrical connectors
Extra 30amp power cord extension
6T bottle jack
Big Tupperware full of fasteners, nuts/bolts, plus cordless tools
Viair air pump
All spare tire stuff, plus orange vest in TV and heavy duty orange safety triangles

Like I said, the list could go on...
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Sail Switch
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
Dinosaur control board for water heater (won't do me any good with my new rig, but could help a fellow Airstreamer)
Do these boards not work with the newer Suburban water heaters in the recent models?
Old 05-14-2024, 12:41 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Do these boards not work with the newer Suburban water heaters in the recent models?
Don't think so. It was made for the Atwood water heater that was on our '19 FC27FBQ...it was a high-failure item.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
Don't think so. It was made for the Atwood water heater that was on our '19 FC27FBQ...it was a high-failure item.
Good to know!
Old 05-14-2024, 01:57 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Really appreciate this idea.

Also thinking the cash may not be paid needed to be pay for a service…

the cash may be as a tip or thank someone for going out of their way to help you in someway