Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Cracked window rock guard

My front window center rock guard got a hole during a recent travel day. I did a temp fix on the crack and hole so I could keep traveling with a protected window. That being said, I think it looks terrible and I want to replace the tinted acrylic piece only since the frame is in excellent condition still.

When shopping I noticed they only sell the whole assembly? It is over $600 which seems like overkill for my issue. Does anyone have a lead for replacing the acrylic only?

I can either hire someone to do the repair or I can do it myself if I can find the part. Advice/leads would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8844.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	384825
reginac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Are you talking about the flat section in the center? Our town, and I suspect most places, has several commercial plastic shops that sell acrylic sheets and that can cut and fit it. You could at least buy it cut to size. Lots of signs made from this stuff. I expect a lot of glass shops can do it too. Lots of acrylic storm doors out there. You can order acrylic sheets from Amazon but I expect a lot of waste depending upon the actual size.

Glad you had the rock guard aren't you?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The Google is your fiend...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Are you talking about the flat section in the center? Our town, and I suspect most places, has several commercial plastic shops that sell acrylic sheets and that can cut and fit it. You could at least buy it cut to size. Lots of signs made from this stuff. I expect a lot of glass shops can do it too. Lots of acrylic storm doors out there. You can order acrylic sheets from Amazon but I expect a lot of waste depending upon the actual size.

Glad you had the rock guard aren't you?

100% yes
Old 12-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I replaced the acrylic in my center guard a couple of months ago. A glass shop cut the replacement piece for me for less than 70 bucks.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I replaced the acrylic in my center guard a couple of months ago. A glass shop cut the replacement piece for me for less than 70 bucks.

Good to know, thank you! I was really worried it wouldn’t match.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
I have replaced several curved ones. I use Lexan (polycarbonate) instead of acrylic (plexiglas)
It is much tougher, easier to cut, flexible and more expensive. About $100.00 for a 4x8 sheet.
Google lexan distributors in your area. They have a color which is pretty perfect match . Don't remember with certainty what they call it's but it may be "smoke."
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Wow, just an observation.....given the height and center placement, that had to have been tossed up from an oncoming vehicle.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjumper View Post
I have replaced several curved ones. I use Lexan (polycarbonate) instead of acrylic (plexiglas)
It is much tougher, easier to cut, flexible and more expensive. About $100.00 for a 4x8 sheet.
Google lexan distributors in your area. They have a color which is pretty perfect match . Don't remember with certainty what they call it's but it may be "smoke."
I agree, go with Lexan. It may be more expensive, but you're less likely to have to replace it.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #10
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I also agree, go with Lexan - darn near unbreakable
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Your picture doesn't seem like the damage is on an Airstream - at best, it looks like the rear window of a camper shell. So, what's the model of your AS? Also looks more like a puncture from a BB, not a rock.
Good luck with your DIY venture - you can do it as others have said.

Happy trails!!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
El Paso , TX
What is a window rock guard? Are you talking about a sprinter airstream? Sorry, the picture was not clear.
lrlevine117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I owned a glass shop for almost 40 years and when I did mine a few years ago I used Lexan. Lexan is unbreakable Plexi.
If you can remove frame.... then remove old plexiglass and use this for a template... take it to a shop that sells Plexi/lLexan and have them cut it for you. Mine was a bit of a battle but worked out great. I believe I used 3mm tinted Lexan. Have fun
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
So joined the star club ( 3 small star cracks) that are developing after our last trip and was thinking about this last night as a winter project. Thinging... need to find that saved link link with a great downloadable pdf that janet arranged tobe retained.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ml#post2393936

I need to reread as this as i believe it was a replacement post and i'm not there, yet.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeydog View Post
Your picture doesn't seem like the damage is on an Airstream - at best, it looks like the rear window of a camper shell.
Appears OP took the picture from inside the trailer. Could be wrong .
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
I owned a glass shop for almost 40 years and when I did mine a few years ago I used Lexan. Lexan is unbreakable Plexi.
If you can remove frame.... then remove old plexiglass and use this for a template... take it to a shop that sells Plexi/lLexan and have them cut it for you. Mine was a bit of a battle but worked out great. I believe I used 3mm tinted Lexan. Have fun
I am due to replace all 3 panels. Could you give details?
Can you flatten the old plexi...with heat...without heat to make template?
Can the lexan be flexed to the curved frame without heat and danger of cracking/crazing?
What thickness and size of retention cording?
Any other tips?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:52 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Yes, retail from Airstream its expensive. That said, when purchased it comes complete with the hinge assy, gaskets, and rubber latches and bracketry so its more than just the solar plexiglass.

Agree, no need to change all those items and a glass shop can likely do a good job of replacing just the shattered plexiglass but you will have to remove it from your coach which will require drilling out the rivets at the both ends of the hinge to remove it, then replacing them.

We replaced all our front solar shields and stainless segment guards of which all got pitted up from a trip to/from the lower 48 and Alaska. In doing so, we also applied XPEL clear-bra (i.e. paint protection film) on all 5 segments to add further protection. Was not cheap
Old 12-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginac View Post
My front window center rock guard got a hole during a recent travel day. I did a temp fix on the crack and hole so I could keep traveling with a protected window. That being said, I think it looks terrible and I want to replace the tinted acrylic piece only since the frame is in excellent condition still.

When shopping I noticed they only sell the whole assembly? It is over $600 which seems like overkill for my issue. Does anyone have a lead for replacing the acrylic only?

I can either hire someone to do the repair or I can do it myself if I can find the part. Advice/leads would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment 384825
What is a Temp fix on the crack and a hole?
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:08 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
This sounds like the answer
Hi OH Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Wow, just an observation.....given the height and center placement, that had to have been tossed up from an oncoming vehicle.

I’m pretty sure it got kicked back from a semi during a rain storm. It was pretty bad that day.