Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Convert dometic to danfoss?

Has anyone done this? Remove the evaporative cooling parts and replace it with a kit from isotherm? Our fridge has started to not work every time we move. I got a norcold model that has the secop danfoss combo but the wife hates it due to the different layout from the dometic.

We live in the Colorado front range mountains and have decided that we are done with evaporative cooling.

The isotherm kit looks ideal with two cooling plates. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like an excellant project. I have built from scratch over a dozen marine fridges using Danfoss components. Basically plug and play. Definetly will require upgrades to your battery system. Increased solar and lithium battery (???????????) additions would be nice. I would also consider fridge box insulation upgrades. If my fridge ever craps out I believe that a Danfoss upgrade would be worth consideration.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Great advice on the power side, we will be addressing this too.

As an aside, any thoughts on the Atwood helium units? Reviews are mixed to say the least.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
When our Demonic fridge poops out, we'll be investigating Vitrifrigo as a replacement...hopefully after we've upgraded to Lithium batteries, etc.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
When I replaced my Dometic with an apartment-style fridge, I got 2 cubic feet more interior space in basically the same footprint. I've had my Igloo fridge in place now for about 7 months, it's still running strong. Not bad for $200!

If you're going to roll-your-own fridge, why not figure out how to make some sort of a super-insulated box that would make a Yeti ice chest slink away in shame?
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Sounds like a good idea to me, then you could have a solar powered fridge! I've always wanted to do this but never got around to it since the Sanyo apartment size fridge has been working well and I like shore power for heating and cooling anyway.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Sounds like an excellant project. I have built from scratch over a dozen marine fridges using Danfoss components. Basically plug and play. Definetly will require upgrades to your battery system. Increased solar and lithium battery (???????????) additions would be nice. I would also consider fridge box insulation upgrades. If my fridge ever craps out I believe that a Danfoss upgrade would be worth consideration.
How about a few details on building your own fridge?
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
How about a few details on building your own fridge?

Almost the same process I used. They explain it much better than I can.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...ds/page-1.html

I have never converted a prebuilt stand up type fridge. I would thank it would be a much simpler process than starting from scratch. All of the compressor kit makers have excellant customer service departments that will discuss fitment issues and what might be the best system components to use for a conversion. Good luck if you decide to give this a try.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I put a danfoss fridge per Lewsters recommendation - absolutely love it - I have only 1 150 amp Lifeline - just got back from a four day boon dock rally and only had to top off battery once - even then not sure it was necessary

Ken J

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
I put a danfoss fridge per Lewsters recommendation - absolutely love it - I have only 1 150 amp Lifeline - just got back from a four day boon dock rally and only had to top off battery once - even then not sure it was necessary

Ken J

Ken - which one if you don't mind? I am considering a refrigerated drawer from Isotherm or Dometic - both use the danfoss compressor and each are 1.3 to 1 cubic foot, respectively. The additional load should not be much and since they will be independent, we can turn them on for trips that need them. A little custom wood work but thats OK as it is one of my hobbies and I am well equipped to make anything needed in that respect.

As to the full custom idea - definitely considered that, but between my job and my kids, that level of project is a bit much. Some trim and basic electrical is well within reach though, hence the drawer idea to make up the lost space.

Love the boat build link. The level of thought and overbuilt craftsmanship that went into it is fantastic! I do plan to better insulate whatever solution we go with. There is at least a half inch of dead space that could easily be filled with some rigid board foam and definitely 'traditional' fiber glass batting, so long as we keep with the compressor vs. evaporative solution. The amount of fresh air coming in from the stock outside venting will be more than enough.

Next question I plan to answer is whether there are ceramic-bearing DC fans, and if so, whether the load reduction improvement is worth the cost. Each danfoss unit that I have seen at least, has a DC cooling fan. I know the value of ceramic bearings so.. the hunt for greater efficiency begins!

thanks to all who have replied, and I know how much of a proponent that Lewster is, and how much respect I have for his inputs.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Not sure what size - think it about 3-4 cubic in - anyway I had planning on insulating more and putting a fan in the back - in the end did not need to - in fact they recommend not putting in any additional insulation

Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Do you think 220ah 6v Lifelines is enough capacity to run a Vitrifrigo when towing all day? I'll have 200w solar on the roof that can charge while towing and the ability to hook up an extra 200w of portable panels if we dry camp. Or do you really need more battery capacity and solar to support this type of fridge if you do any type of dry camping.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Oh yes - you have tons of power for it - remember I just have one 12v 150 amp battery
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Cool. If my Dometic gives up the ghost I'll switch to a Vitrifrigo. I know just the place to have install it for me.

My Dometic was struggling this past weekend out at Table Rock Lake this past weekend, 96F and high humidity and the trailer as in full sun. Had all my awnings deployed. The Airstream sat in the sun at home prepping for the trip without the A/C on and it was 100F in the trailer. With a thermometer in the fridge is was about 28F at 7:30am but by 5pm it was up to 40. By the time we got to the lake it as about 43F. With the A/C and overnight cooling back down near freezing. With the A/C and the awnings out it kept below 40f. Kept the beer in an ice chest inside the trailer. Still had a fun time swimming, biking and taking a 5 mile walk. Why do I have to come home

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Only way to keep our Demonic (Dometic) fridge happy on hot sunny days is to deploy the street-side awning. Otherwise, the fridge control panel says internal temps climb into the low 40's - which makes me unhappy. Definitely interested in a Vitrifrigo once we get our battery situation addressed. Sadly, the battery upgrade is probably a ways off, but at least we have a nice long list of awesome upgrades we want to make.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Cool. If my Dometic gives up the ghost I'll switch to a Vitrifrigo. I know just the place to have install it for me.

My Dometic was struggling this past weekend out at Table Rock Lake this past weekend, 96F and high humidity and the trailer as in full sun. Had all my awnings deployed. The Airstream sat in the sun at home prepping for the trip without the A/C on and it was 100F in the trailer. With a thermometer in the fridge is was about 28F at 7:30am but by 5pm it was up to 40. By the time we got to the lake it as about 43F. With the A/C and overnight cooling back down near freezing. With the A/C and the awnings out it kept below 40f. Kept the beer in an ice chest inside the trailer. Still had a fun time swimming, biking and taking a 5 mile walk. Why do I have to come home

Kelvin

Those are respectable temps. Freezer should be around zero or a bit above and fridge around 40. Safe temps for food preservation.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
So I went ahead and did the conversion. I ordered the Nova Kool LT201F three plate kit from Binnacle.com. This came with the Secop compressor which is the same as the Danfoss, but newer since Secop bought it out or whatever happened. Still 12v, highly efficient and able to operate on an angle up to 30 degrees, permanently.

What I did was to pull the OEM cooling unit entirely off. The only wires left on the box were for the fridge light. From there I cut a slot in the freezer compartment that was wide and thick enough for the double plate, and the refrigerator cooling fins left a nice big hole in the fridge compartment that was perfect for the single cooling plate in the fridge - just had to notch for the tubes.

I mounted the freezer plate to the back, directly against the metal box, just like the OEM way. This will help the entire freezer box freeze, as OEM.

I mounted the refrigerator plate to the top of the refrigerator box since cold air drops. I may need to figure out a drip tray under it, but that will be simple to do. I left the OEM drain hose and associated pieces as-is just in case.

Some 8" wide aluminum flashing from home depot, and I mounted that with double sided tape to cover the old fin box hole. I caulked with pure silicone front and back.

I used 2" thick 13r foil sided rigid foam board to fill in the approximately 4" deep cavity left by the old cooling unit. This stuff cuts like butter with a Japanese pull saw!

We are very happy to have gone this route. I think I saved at least 50-60 pounds as well. That old evaporative cooling unit is heavy. I cannot believe those are apparently cheaper to make than an efficient compressor.

Pictures showing the progression below. I had to run to the airport as soon as I got it turned on and verified, so I'll get pictures of the compressor too later next week. I also created a custom 'cap' to the propane out of some hardware copper. I also closed up the fridge vent since that is no longer required with this setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160827_100441.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	270165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160827_102536.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	270166  

Name:	IMG_20160827_102543.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	270167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160827_103546.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	270168  

Name:	IMG_20160827_105507.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	270169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160827_112457.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	270170  

Name:	IMG_20160827_113843.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	270171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160814_163550.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	270172  

Name:	IMG_20160814_163604.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	270173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160814_163614.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	270174  

Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Brilliant conversion. I am surprised more people or pro RV fridge techs do not do this. Looking forward to your follow up report and photos.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is there a new control panel that comes with the kit. Is it mounted inside the fridge and the external Dometic control panel is now not used?

Kelvin
Old 08-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is there a new control panel that comes with the kit. Is it mounted inside the fridge and the external Dometic control panel is now not used?

Kelvin
A traditional control panel is no longer used.
Good reading here,
http://www.novakool.com/products/conversion_units.htm