Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Chapin , South Carolina
Coleman Mach 8 air cond

I resently replaced the air cond. unit on my 88 Airstream. I installed the new Coleman Mach 8 model 47204-876. The compressor fan noise on this model is extreme. If you like having rocks/verbal abuse thrown at you, this is the unit you want. DO NOT BUY THIS UNIT!!
Shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I was looking at this one...

Any other consumer reports here???
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Chapin , South Carolina
Coleman mach 8

The unit I purchased was the 15,ooobtu. It is a very low profile unit, wider than original unit. It does not fit the contour of the airstream very well and the inside adaptor mounting ring does not fit between the trailer braces. The unit sounds like I have a jet engine running on top of the trailer. The first time I used the unit was at Key West a couple weeks ago. My neighbor came over and ask what the **** I had on the trailer.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I'm looking at the Mach8 heat pump model as we plan on using the AS year round as a "guest house" when we're not camping, so I wanted to cut back a little bit on the electric heat.

How did you get it ito fit if it does not fit between the braces - which I'm guessing you're referring to as the frame ribs.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Chapin , South Carolina
If you have a wide body, you may not have the issue. On the 88, I used the mounting bracket supplied by Coleman by turning it up side down vs. the mounting instructions and cut and filed down some edges. The inside cover still lacks 1/4 inch from meeting the ceiling at the center. You will also have to notch some of the inside cover frame work that will not be visible when you install the cover. If the compressor fan is the same as the mach 8 15000btu air cond.-you will not be a happy camper. It is extreme noise.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Lewster has a thread about the Mach 8, check it out.

I just put one on my son's 5th wheel and agree, it is WAY too loud on the outside. We are leaving Friday for a week parked side by side with him. Good thing he's family.

The low profile requires a super high velocity fan which sounds like some type of jet up on top.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Dreading the potential noise issue. However, based on all the other research I've done, I don't see an option. I would have loved to mount a mini-split on the hitch, but my trailer is almost all original (that you can see - electrical and plumbing are new) so I wanted to keep to it. However, I wanted the usage of the heat pump. My wife is sensitive to noise, but she's already used to sleeping with earplugs for some reason....
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Chapin , South Carolina
Noise inside the trailer is not the issue. It is the outside compressor fan that is the problem noise maker. As long as you can camp at least 100yds. from your nearest neighbor, you will be ok.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Hi Folks,

This is Jim from Orbital Machine Works in Dallas.
We make aftermarket products for travel trailers (mostly Casitas but don't hold that against us!)

The Casita folks asked us to see if we could come up with a solution to their noisy Mach 8 problem.
Well we have finally got there with a workable fix.

If you are interested in the fix - pop over to Mach 8 noise fix for all the gory details.

Thanks,
Jim
widgetwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Thanks Jim, for working on a fix for the noise, and sharing the solution.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
This topic is a hot one in RV circles beyond Airforums. I read that with the changeover of refrigerant in 2007-2008, the noise level increased from same models of earlier years. Dometic is in the same situation though in my conversation about noise to their customer service when asking about it was told that the Brisk II was their better choice than the Penguin for noise.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Chapin , South Carolina
mach 8 noise reduction

I installed Jim's noise reduction fix on my unit. IT WORKS!! Thanks Jim! I am very disappointed in Coleman for not providing this correction at no cost to us consumers. Will never buy another Coleman product.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoulder View Post
I installed Jim's noise reduction fix on my unit. IT WORKS!! Thanks Jim! I am very disappointed in Coleman for not providing this correction at no cost to us consumers. Will never buy another Coleman product.
Yay! Glad you like it. Now spread the word...

Cheers!
Jim
Old 02-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #14
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Win a Free Mach 8 hush kit.

Interested?.

What we are looking for are short videos that show how easy the install is and the noise difference between before and after.
We never seem to get around to making these things. So we thought - why not bribe our customers to do it for us.
Rules are simple - video the noise your A/C makes now, you installing the kit, then the noise it makes after (from the same place - no cheating).
Upload the video to YouTube somewhere and send us the link.
Best one (in our humble opinion) gets their money back on the kit.

Deadline for submission is March 31 2016. Simple eh? What are you waiting for.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #15
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
First quick customer is up on YouTube - this is on a Casita and shows the difference that the partial kit makes.

Enjoy
Jim