Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Cold twin bed base

We own a summer business in Vermont, so have to travel in the “off season”. We have camped in N.C. as low as 8 degrees. No freeze-up, but wet plywood under the mattress.
There is no insulation under the beds, especially over the storage lockers. When we got the AS, we could look down the wall from the bed right into the locker. Look at that back wall. Almost 1-1/2” gap. New weather strip insulation closed the gap, but that’s not enough. Plus, there is a tiny access panel into the rear locker. Why? I don’t know!
So, I decided to fix it. First we got some hypervent stuff to help with the condensation that wet the plywood. That helped with the moisture last year somewhat, but not the cold.
So today, I added some 1” EPS foam insulation and topped it with new 1/2” plywood. We added 1-1/2” width to the mattress base plywood since the mattress hung over and it was hard to tuck sheets in.
1” “L” trim will hide the EPS on the aisle side.
It should help during this coming trip after Columbus Day. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3101.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	353270Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3102.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	353271Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	353272
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Good solution. As an fyi, I took another route. Dehumidifier to reduce inside moisture. No humidity, no condensation. If it is really cold, I ran 120v cord to the under bed compartment and have a 200w personal heater which I can plug in with a thermostat. Temp above dew point, no condensation.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Google "Boat mattress ventilator". A very common on boats and lots of solutions to the problem there.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Google "Boat mattress ventilator". A very common on boats and lots of solutions to the problem there.

That’s the hypervent stuff under the mattress. We did that and it helped with moisture, but not the cold. Look at the before picture, there’s even a hole down the the rear locker. Hence the insulation.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Another "fix" might be a bit of heat in the storage compartment. Indeed that's what AS did on the newer Classic's.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
McPherson , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
We own a summer business in Vermont, so have to travel in the “off season”. We have camped in N.C. as low as 8 degrees. No freeze-up, but wet plywood under the mattress.
There is no insulation under the beds, especially over the storage lockers. When we got the AS, we could look down the wall from the bed right into the locker. Look at that back wall. Almost 1-1/2” gap. New weather strip insulation closed the gap, but that’s not enough. Plus, there is a tiny access panel into the rear locker. Why? I don’t know!
So, I decided to fix it. First we got some hypervent stuff to help with the condensation that wet the plywood. That helped with the moisture last year somewhat, but not the cold.
So today, I added some 1” EPS foam insulation and topped it with new 1/2” plywood. We added 1-1/2” width to the mattress base plywood since the mattress hung over and it was hard to tuck sheets in.
1” “L” trim will hide the EPS on the aisle side.
It should help during this coming trip after Columbus Day. Attachment 353270Attachment 353271Attachment 353272
Thank you for your post and pictures. It's very helpful. Did you put any "supports" under the new plywood to keep from crushing the insulation board?
jkallmon is offline   Reply With Quote