Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #1

2019 16' Sport
La Porte , IN
Cleaning "rusty" spots off vinyl

We have several rusty looking spots on the vinyl laminate floor of our 2015 27FB International that won't come out. They aren't rust, just look that color, and are sprinkled throughout, not concentrated in any one area of the floor. We've started with all purpose cleaner and a scrub brush, then I tried my floor steamer (great for cleaning everything else off these floors but apparently not these rusty spots), and then vinegar and baking soda with a scrub brush -- nothing has touched them. It doesn't look like anything is ground into the floor but more like some sort of reaction the flooring material has had. Has anyone else run into this issue? And were you able to get them out? Thanks!
TotalBettyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

I would first....Make sure the spots are not caused by the subfloor being wet.

I have this in the AS tool kit...handy for probing for moisture.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
There are moisture meters that do not require puncturing holes in the vinyl floor to determine if moisture is a problem, available on Amazon.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
rusty spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBettyB View Post
We have several rusty looking spots on the vinyl laminate floor of our 2015 27FB International that won't come out. They aren't rust, just look that color, and are sprinkled throughout, not concentrated in any one area of the floor. We've started with all purpose cleaner and a scrub brush, then I tried my floor steamer (great for cleaning everything else off these floors but apparently not these rusty spots), and then vinegar and baking soda with a scrub brush -- nothing has touched them. It doesn't look like anything is ground into the floor but more like some sort of reaction the flooring material has had. Has anyone else run into this issue? And were you able to get them out? Thanks!
I had the same problem near the door area. I tried everything to get them out. Finally I'd had enough and pulled the linoleum up, from the plywood. What I found was water penetration plus rusty bolt heads. I cut the ply wood out removed bolts and changed all the flooring with wood look alike linoleum. It was worth it finding the water leaking under and around the door from bad insulation.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Floor spots

We had exactly this. Floor rot.. wicking leak from rub rail leak. Act ASAP.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
There are moisture meters that do not require puncturing holes in the vinyl floor to determine if moisture is a problem, available on Amazon.
Please link it up.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Please link it up.

General Tools MMD7NP Pinless, Non-Invasive, Non-Marring, Digital Moisture Meter, Water Leak Detector, Moisture Testerup To ¾" (19mm) Deep, Backlit LCD Screen, Visual/Audible Alarms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HARYVUQ..._DWfKFbW3AJFGC
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

2019 16' Sport
La Porte , IN
Thank you all for your help! She's booked for winterization in two weeks so we'll talk to the dealership and get a moisture meter ordered.
TotalBettyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
General Tools MMD7NP Pinless, Non-Invasive, Non-Marring, Digital Moisture Meter, Water Leak Detector, Moisture Testerup To ¾" (19mm) Deep, Backlit LCD Screen, Visual/Audible Alarms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HARYVUQ..._DWfKFbW3AJFGC
Added to my amazon cart, thank you for the information.

Best,
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote