Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Classic Corian counter and cabinet movement

So after 15,000 miles on the AS, everything is "settling in". One thing I noticed is an abrasion line on the clear coated aluminum galley wall about 1/8" running horizontally just above the back splash. I was curious about this so I got my head under the cabinetry and noted that AS has employed a 1" aluminum angle running the entire length of the counter top with a piece if plywood on top of it, to which the counter top is glued (I presume). The vertical section of the angle has holes drilled in it, but there are no fasteners attaching the angle to the wall. Is this an omission or normal?

Should the angle be attached to the wall? with screws? With rivets? Or am I asking for popped rivets?

It appears there are L brackets sporadically placed attaching the woodwork to the wall and floor, but that's it.

Could any of you stick your head under the cabinets and tell me if your counter top is attached to the wall?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Anyone? Even if yours isn't a Classic....is your counter fastened to the wall along the rear top edge?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Rich,
Every Airstream galley I've ever worked on has the galley cabinet top attached to the wall in some fashion. I've never removed or installed a galley as new as yours, however.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Looks like it is riveted and screwed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	counter.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	209085   Click image for larger version

Name:	counter1.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	209086  

AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
WOW! Top's post gave me the encouragement to remove the stove and microwave and have a look. The line worker put 2 rivets behind the stove and went on permanent smoke break. Those 2 rivets had pulled out of the skin, so there was nothing holding the whole counter assembly in place save one L bracket and 2 small screws.

I went back with 9 screws between the closet wall and the right side of the sinks. Unfortunately in order to properly secure the full length, I'd have to remove the sink, faucet hardware and all pluming lines to get behind the sink to drill holes. So I have about the first 2 feet from the left end of the counter with no fasteners save one L bracket in the wall of the cabinet.

Think I'm OK?

How did I ever go 15,000 miles without the whole thing moving to the center isle, I'll never know.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, RLS, for taking the time to post and look. I appreciate it.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I'll take a look next time I'm out at storage, Rich.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
This just begs the question, Why is there aways time and money to do it over again but not enough time or money to do it correctly the first time?

This sloppy original work is not just the provence of Airstream, I find it nearly every day.

When we bought our current home, there is a wall around the roof that prevented seeing the structure from the ground. The roof tile was not completely installed and tar paper was the roof for years. How did the building inspectors miss this or the construction manager for the subdivision?

The lack of air flow in the heater ducts in the rear of the new trailer was caused by the ducts being crossed right at the furnace, like crossing your legs when in a chair. I photoed that just before the counter was installed. The warranty time was charged for the local mechanic to trouble shoot what I relayed to him and he was able to rework the ducts so they were not crossed. Suddenly there is more than ample air flow to that part of the trailer.

We are discovering more items of this nature during the modification process for the solar system.

Nuts!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They are what they are, some degree of less than perfect. This Airstream came to us very nicely assembled. Our first one was good, but less so. They are assembled by people of different skill levels and abilities, that's the way it is.

How do we deal with it.

I generally follow a quarterly inspection and maintenance plan. We clean the trailer in and out, while looking for any defects, corrosion, signs of moisture, or things out of place. When we find them we fix them as best we can. When we can't fix them, we make a list of items for the professionals at Airstream service Center in Ohio, planning to work our way through there in our travels every two or three years. Maybe there's good local service somewhere, but I like the folks at Airstream.

Along with the general inspection and checking everything for operation, I check for any moisture in the plywood subfloor with a moisture detection meter. If there is any at all, I've got a leak in the shell to fix. Then we go over the trailer exterior, treating it with corrosion preventive products (including the underbody), and touching up nicks with a clear acrylic pen. Once a rear we wax (wax, seal, polish, whatever) the exterior and shower stall with a best quality product.

Trying here once again to push inspections and maintenance. Everyone needs a plan, and it may be different to suit them and their trailer use.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
WOW! Top's post gave me the encouragement to remove the stove and microwave and have a look. The line worker put 2 rivets behind the stove and went on permanent smoke break. Those 2 rivets had pulled out of the skin, so there was nothing holding the whole counter assembly in place save one L bracket and 2 small screws.

I went back with 9 screws between the closet wall and the right side of the sinks. Unfortunately in order to properly secure the full length, I'd have to remove the sink, faucet hardware and all pluming lines to get behind the sink to drill holes. So I have about the first 2 feet from the left end of the counter with no fasteners save one L bracket in the wall of the cabinet.

Think I'm OK?

How did I ever go 15,000 miles without the whole thing moving to the center isle, I'll never know.

Would one of these fit in there, perhaps with a shortened bit? I have this or one very similar and find it handy for many things.

Makita 3/8 in. Angle Drill, Reversible-DA3010F at The Home Depot

Here's another idea

http://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-130.../dp/B000KICSGQ

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I got two more fasteners in by using two 10" extensions. A bit tricky with all that flopping around ,but got it done.

Close examination revealed some other needed "tweaking" due to the missing rivets. The stove section of the cabinetry had come loose from the sink section and the closet had moved about 1/4" toward the isle at the bottom. Everything is buttoned up and secure now.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile counter tops

Typical AS quality control as my 76 31ft. had same problem not fastened to wall, pulled away I used el brackets fastened to wall no problems since Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
All of these comments scared me so I went out and looked at our classic. I could see under the sink and behind the stacked drawers. There were screws and rivets hold the aluminum angle to the wall and they appeared to be fastened tightly. There was no sign that the counter top had any movement. Not sure how many miles my unit has covered, but certainly 15-20,000 miles.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our FC has an aluminum angle fastened with screws which are not loose.

There shouldn't be much force pulling this away from the wall. The shaking going down the road is about it. Inland Andy always advises us to look at running gear balance and rigid hitching when things start coming loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	209267  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This isn't a shaking issue. Only two rivets were installed at build. No witness marks on angle and no holes in skin for rivets.

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app