Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

2018 30' Flying Cloud
easton , Kansas
City water hookup filled the fresh water tank?

Not sure if I am posting this to the right place so if not let me know.
Camping last week at a campsite that had really high water pressure. Wasn't concerned because the camper has the built in pressure regulator. After a couple days I noticed water coming out of the locked cover to the fresh water tank fill inlet. Opened the cover and observed water coming out of the overflow port that is next to the tank fill inlet. So I shut off the city water and the flow stopped. Then checked the level of the fresh water tank and it showed 100%. Interesting considering when we started camping the tank was empty. Once we got home I drained the fresh water tank and hooked the city water inlet up to our residential hose bib for 3 days. No water filling the tank and obviously no water coming out of the overflow. First question is, do I have a problem that I am not aware of? Second what would cause the city water hookup to fill the fresh water tank, I didn't think that was possible. Is my pressure regulator not working and somehow back feed the tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
jwerthmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This is a common issue. There is a check valve built into the water pump to prevent this from happening. Sometimes running the pump will clean out the check valve and it will work properly. If that does not fix the issue, you may need to replace the water pump.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The problem you report is not rare. It has been reported here many many times. There is a check valve in the pump and it can get some sediment in it and allow city water reverse flow and overfill the tank. If you are not filtering all your city and clean tank fill water, you should it's a best practice. Consider draining the fresh tank and flush some water through it. Run the pump a bit and watch for a repeat of this issue. If it happens again, you may have to take the pump apart and inspect the valve or replace the valve, they make a repair kit.

Edit: Beat me to it!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Ditto to earlier comments. You might want to review the following search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=city...=airforums.com

. . . as well as the Fresh Water Systems forum:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/
Or Pumps sub-forum: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/

You may have dirty water in the water tank, so drain that, and fill with fresh city water, using a new potable water hose, and an inline filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-10ft-Pr...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Always use that kind of hose and filter both for filling the tank, as well as for hooking up to city water.

After you have good water in the tank, turn the pump on and bleed all air from all the hot and cold faucets etc., including the outside shower and toilet. Then turn the pump on and off in rapid succession, in hopes of dislodging any grit caught in that previously referenced check valve. Very often this will solve your problem. If not a new pump may be in order.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Have a faucet open when you turn the pump on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
. . . Then turn the pump on and off in rapid succession . . .
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I still use a pressure regulator on the hose bib in addition to the internal one. Had pressure so high at one RV park the water hose swelled.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote