Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Slidell , LA
City water connection not working.

I just bought a used 2015 25FB with the Shurflo water connection. On the maiden voyage we discovered the city water connection was not allowing water to flow into the Airstream. Everything operates fine from the water pump.

I read on the forum that a stuck check valve in the connection may be the culprit. I installed a new assembly and this did not solve the problem. Both the old and new water inlets flow water when hooked up seperately from the Airstream. I thought there could be a blockage in the piping coming from the water inlet, so I kicked on the water pump, with the inlet removed, and got a steady flow out of the pipes. I then reinstalled the new water inlet to no avail.

Is there a valve, or some other simple solution that I could be missing. It may not matter, but the water tank was replaced by the dealership when I purchased. My next plan is to eliminate the Shurflo connection and hookup directly to city water with an external pressure regulator.
blue01965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Suggest a simple thing over bigger thing first.

Remove hose connecting to trailer (for grins turn on water, water comes out of hose) now look into trailer connection. Does it have a debris screen? Clogged?

If that ain't it, now it can get uglier.

Welcome to the madness.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
When you say got a steady stream out of the pipes, I take that to mean you got water coming out of the internal trailer inlet hose to which the shurflow connects. One idea is to suspect that hose connector collapses or the gasket when connected to the shurflow.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you have an outdoor shower, it is on the same main feed and very close to the inlet, see if you get cold water out of it. If not, the problem is very close to the shurflo inlet likely the flexible tubing. maybe it is kinked and will only flow in reverse.

Another idea. With the pump the pump on and water flowing out of the trailer, connect the shurflo to the flexible tubing while also flowing some water into the shurflow from the garden hose. If there is a kink, maybe this will work it out.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Slidell , LA
Thanks for the suggestions. I eliminated the shurflo inlet from the equation, and connected directly to city water, but I am still not getting any flow. Tried it at the outside shower, as BayouBiker suggested, and get full flow there. Guess I have a kink or clog somewhere in that area. All piping looks good under the closet and by the water pump. Will probably take the bottom of the closet out so I can get a better look. Does anyone know where to find a schematic of the water system?
Old 12-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue01965 View Post
I eliminated the shurflo inlet from the equation, and connected directly to city water, but I am still not getting any flow.
You didn't mentioned if "it worked before" and "isn't working now", just that the trailer is new to you...congratulations!

I'm not sure on the "newer" trailers (mine is 1956), but could there be a petcock-type valve (manual or switch?) that needs to be opened up to change from tank to city water that you might be overlooking? Could be a very simple problem if there is, it might be "closed".

You may be able to located a 2005 manual for your trailer here.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue01965 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I eliminated the shurflo inlet from the equation, and connected directly to city water, but I am still not getting any flow. Tried it at the outside shower, as BayouBiker suggested, and get full flow there. Guess I have a kink or clog somewhere in that area. All piping looks good under the closet and by the water pump. Will probably take the bottom of the closet out so I can get a better look. Does anyone know where to find a schematic of the water system?
The parts manual https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals provides detailed schematics of the fresh water pipes for most trailers. Since it flows in the reverse direction but not forward, it makes more since that its a kink and not a clog. Given that the dealer changed out the fresh tank, I'd suspect they got the line twisted up somewhere between the Roadside main and the feed back to the pump connection area. Find the parts manual for your trailer and look at the water piping schematic to see if you can locate the suspect location of the kink favoring the idea that the tank replacement may have caused it. Maybe you can see it by accessing he pump. Otherwise consider my previous suggestion of trying to work the kink ou by simultaneously back flowing from the pump and feeding fresh water in.....
Old 12-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
On my trailer there was a ball valve in front of the water heater and under the check valve you mentioned. I believe it was originally designed to shut off the outside faucet and I think the city inlet for winterizing. Because the valve seemed to stick a lot I had the Mothership remove it. Now it only controls the outside faucet for what that's worth. Now, look for that valve and turn it on and see if you have city water flow. The only other thing to check is a stuck inlet water check valve in the SurFlo city inlet. Does it pass city water to the trailer?
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
On my 2015 25FB there was supposed to be a pressure reducer. I assume it was down under the closet where the water pump was in line with the hose coming from the City inlet. Could that be defective? There is also a bypass underneath the closet by the water heater next to the bed although that would only effect hot water flow I assume. One other thing you could do is hook up an air pressure valve used for winterizing to the city water inlet and apply low pressure and see if you get air out of the faucets.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Slidell , LA
I found some check valves that I am not sure are supposed to be there. They don't show on the parts manual. I was under the impression that the only check valves were supposed to be at the city water connection, and inside the water pump. Here are the check valves I found (Water pump hoses removed for clarity):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Check Valves.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	357645

Here is the piping leading to these:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Inlet piping.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	357646

I do get full flow at the outside shower and some flow at the inside shower.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Despite this issue we are loving this new to us Airstream.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Slidell , LA
That did it. Removed the check valve and everything works properly. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Congrats for getting water going. But I think I share one unanswered question that the full plumbing layout for YOUR rig would answer a lot. The plumbing worked for X years and then no flow.

Thanks for offering your conclusion, too many times the OP just doesn't follow up.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 12-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
That's great you found the problem. I guess I should not be surprised how many "human errors" occur (previous owner, shop and sometimes factory). In the original post, it was mentioned the shop changed out the fresh water tank just before the sale. I wonder what was wrong.... I guess there are at least two possible explanations for the "extra check valve".

1. The check valve in the pump leaks so the owner added another to prevent city water from overfilling the fresh tank. blue you may want to test this, drain the fresh tank, keep the drain open and attach city water. Then check the ground below the drain in a couple minutes and again after a few hours.

2. When they installed the new tank they added the check valve for some strange reason.....
Old 12-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Brian,

That sure could be part of the mystery. I've done some poking around in my 2007 Classic and I found a brass thing that might be a check valve under the water heater.

Not having a full system layout to inspect is a handicap in researching water and electrical issues.

Gary
Old 12-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1994 31' Legacy 30
Tampa , Florida
looking at the first picture the lower check valve appears to be installed backward.
ctatoday is offline   Reply With Quote