Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

1986 Argosy
Uxbridge , Ontario
Chilly Nights

Good morning Air Forums, from sunny Peoria, AZ. Ive been reading and referencing your material for many years as my wife and I searched for and eventually acquired an affordable Airstream in want of renovation, which we eventually found in our 87 Argosy, 27. After a 4 year, complete to the bones gut and reno, we hooked up and headed south about 2 days before the snow started flying and have been blissfully cruising the sun and warmth of the Southern States since November. Our only issue (knock on wood) is that the furnace, which worked fine throughout the renovation during a Canadian winter, but has started experiencing intermittency issues. After much research I suspect the culprit is the igniter and/or burner probably original but Im having difficulty getting the exhaust pipe off/out in order to access it. Ive read and seen on videos that the only fastener should be the wing nut on the top left upper side, and then the back of the pipe is housed about 2 into the heat exchanger? I can get about 1/8 play front to back, but nothing more. Ive also sprayed liberal amounts of WD 40s Penetrating Oil into the back area, but still nothing changes. Can anyone tell me if I am missing something ? Thank You

BruJay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum!

You might want to peruse the Argosy and Furnace sub-forums IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/

In the Argosy forum you could "Search this forum" . . . choose "show posts" . . . then put "1987" in the search box . . . then "Go." There are a number of Argosies from your era, although some posts are old. To send a PM [private message] to someone, click on the user name, then select "Send private message" from the drop down menu.

Good luck,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
If it is the orginal furnace I recommend not using it at all. A 30+ year old furnace is at the end of its life, a candidate to poison you with carbon monoxide in your sleep.
If you have hookups you can get an electric heater that will kep you fairly comfortable.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
If it is the orginal furnace I recommend not using it at all. A 30+ year old furnace is at the end of its life, a candidate to poison you with carbon monoxide in your sleep.
If you have hookups you can get an electric heater that will kep you fairly comfortable.
What he said, bite the bullet and get a fresh one! (I know from experience that rebuilts don't last very long) At night, we use the electric liquid-filled radiators; they're quiet and safe.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote