Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
Long Beach , CA
Chicago Vintage AS Repair

Hi All,

We are on a long road trip from the west coast and are in need of some repairs to our 68 Overlander. Any recommendations on experienced shops in the Chicago Area? I need work to our toilet/ blackwater tank. Also may need subfloor repairs in the same area
hippy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2006 39' A-Series
Pioneer , California
Hi, I haven’t lived in the area for decades. Chicago there should be a lot of places to help you. However you might look into Rockfalls, where my father bought his Airstream years ago. About 100 west of Chicago. I have a question regarding your Overlander. I found one in the CA Sierra. Been sitting for 15+ years in the pine trees locked up. Looks like it’s worth restoring. The old lady might want it removed. It’s a 1968 Overlander . What do you think I should offer if interested. Probably need a complete refurbish
Davebunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Toilet, Black Tank and Floor does not sound like something I would get done while on the road. Maybe a better solution would be to purchase a portable camping toilet for the trip and address the repairs when back home.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Toilet, Black Tank and Floor does not sound like something I would get done while on the road. Maybe a better solution would be to purchase a portable camping toilet for the trip and address the repairs when back home.
What he said... I don't think you ever know how big a 'small' floor repair can get until you start taking things apart.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Iím assuming the black tank is above floor in a 68. If it the original floor and is rotting under the tank, the frame may also be rusted under the floor.
To do it right, I would remove the entire bathroom, fix frame if needed, and replace the entire section of floor under the bathroom.
Not a quick repair on the road.