Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

1984 31' International
Shreveport , Louisiana
Checklist?

Proud new member of the forum. Recently purchased an '84 international 31'. Can anyone provide a checklist of the things I need to cover to make sure she is operational? I picked up at a good price, and all the basics seem good except for the skylight vents leaking. Would like to do a run through this weekend, but not sure where to start or there is a specific order. Any help is appreciated. ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1408494567.404937.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	708.1 KB
ID:	219394
jkaslivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Best that you try to enlist the help of one of the Forum's inspectors, if possible. Go to the top of the page, click on the Portal tab, scroll to the bottom of the right side. You will see the inspector search function. Hopefully, there will be someone in your area that can help you go through your new-to-you AS with a fine toothed comb. Welcome to the Forum, and good luck!!

And if there is no inspector in your area, you will find an inspection check-list to help you.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #3

1984 31' International
Shreveport , Louisiana
Appreciate the tip. Have a good one.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

1984 31' International
Shreveport , Louisiana
Well, I'm using my phone app for this an don't see a portal tab at the top. Am I in the correct category?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Trailer Inspection Checklist

Sorry - looked on the app...didn't see it there. I've attempted to upload a pdf file of it to look at. Hope that helps. There are also a number of inspectors in LA, but not sure they are near you.

If you have leaky vents, then number one on my list would be to check the floor for soundness. Take a screwdriver and probe the perimeter for soft spots. The floor is the most important thing that holds the trailer together. If you have floor rot, especially in the back (if you have rear bath), then you are looking at extensive repairs...as floor rot leads to separation of frame and shell and suggests frame damage.

If you are going to tow some distance, check the axels and obviously, the tires. If it is sitting low on top of the tires, then the axels are suspect.

Make it safe first. Tires, Axels, Brakes, Running Lights

When you get it home, you can start to look at systems like LPG: Check for damaged gas lines due to freezing or other damage.

If it has a Univolt Converter, plan on replacing it with a 3-stage converter....it will boil your batteries.

Check your water lines for evidence of freezing or leaking.

After you check safety related systems, plan on spending some time sealing up any potential and/or obvious leaks...like the vents. You want to prevent any further damage until you can decide your eventual game plan.

Take lots of pics and post them. Pics help Forum members help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air trailer inspection.pdf (623.2 KB, 70 views)
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

1984 31' International
Shreveport , Louisiana
Thanks ark. I'll check out the portal online as well. Have a good one.