Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Can't attach curtains to sliders!

I've made my curtains, but I'm having a really, really difficult time trying to sew them in place! Is there an easier way?

As you can see from the photos, everything is pretty original to my '66 Ambassador, and I don't want to modify any more than I have to. It looks like the PO was trying to pry the track open enough to get the curtain sliders out, but gave up. Some of the other windows are pried open further, so I can get those sliders out and sew them on to my curtains easily. But then, of course, the curtains tend to fall back out.

I could take the wooden end-cap off, but I'm afraid I will break it. Staple the fabric? Ugly. Pry the track open further? Curtains will fall out. Is there an easy solution that I'm missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain slider 1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	222970   Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain slider 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	222971  

mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
I've made my curtains, but I'm having a really, really difficult time trying to sew them in place! Is there an easier way?

As you can see from the photos, everything is pretty original to my '66 Ambassador, and I don't want to modify any more than I have to. It looks like the PO was trying to pry the track open enough to get the curtain sliders out, but gave up. Some of the other windows are pried open further, so I can get those sliders out and sew them on to my curtains easily. But then, of course, the curtains tend to fall back out.

I could take the wooden end-cap off, but I'm afraid I will break it. Staple the fabric? Ugly. Pry the track open further? Curtains will fall out. Is there an easy solution that I'm missing?
That drape tab, known as the "kirsch" tab, is attached to the drape by being sewn on with a sewing machine.

That's how Airstream did it in all of the four years that tab was used.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Easy-peasy.

If you don't want to mess with the valance, you could:

1) drill out the pop rivets holding the track on
2) take the sliders out
3) sew the curtains to the sliders
4) put the sliders with the curtains attached back in the track
5) pop-rivet the track back in place

If the tracks are really messed up, you can straighten them or replace them with new ones while you're at it. New sliders are also available if you have broken or lost ones.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
My curtain attachment arrangement is totally different. May I offer this solution. I would use a drill bit slightly larger than the inner button of the curtain thingy (attacher) inside the track. This will allow you to insert the button into the track with the curtain attached. The closer to the end of the track the better less the button will slip out. once the curtain is installed, I would insert into the track a square nut to which I would screw a screw into. This will prevent the buttons to pass over the drilled hole and come out. I wish I was there to help. It is rather difficult to describe what I mean. I wish you luck.

I just noticed Insideout's suggestion, Great idea. Great minds!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Can the whole valance come off as one piece ?
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
My curtain attachment arrangement is totally different. May I offer this solution. I would use a drill bit slightly larger than the inner button of the curtain thingy (attacher) inside the track. This will allow you to insert the button into the track with the curtain attached. The closer to the end of the track the better less the button will slip out. once the curtain is installed, I would insert into the track a square nut to which I would screw a screw into. This will prevent the buttons to pass over the drilled hole and come out. I wish I was there to help. It is rather difficult to describe what I mean. I wish you luck.

I just noticed Insideout's suggestion, Great idea. Great minds!
Drill a hole... why didn't I think of that? That worked perfectly for me. Of course, hubby knocked off the wooden end-cap in the process, so now I have TWO options.
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote