Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Can you solve this mystery?

Today I noticed some unusual scratches on my Safari's tongue, and since I'm sure I didn't make them, I'm very suspicious. Could someone have tried to steal my Airstream?

These scratches were made recently, they're evenly spaced, they go completely through the paint and down to the metal, and they were made after my storage yard put the "security tag" in place a couple of months ago. While the trailer was stored, I had two locks on it: one on the ball-hitch socket and another through the latching pin.

What the heck made these scratches?

Thanks for your help solving this mystery!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer-scratch3.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	58976

Name:	trailer-scratch 1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	58977

Name:	trailer-scratch2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	58978
TitusLivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Are the scratches on both sides? Evenly? If you store it in a security type rental space, there is a possibility that they (the storage people) moved it around. That's how some of the guys/gals have had their rigs damaged.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

1982 34' Limited
panama city , Florida
My Guess

It looks like natural scratches from the weight distribution hitch.

Who put the plastic ties on there and when?

Have you used it since the security tags was stuck on?

Is the black bracket part of your hitch?

Was it ever attached on the scratched part of the tongue?

James
Tool Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
If this was my unit, I would be inquiring also !
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Time
Is the black bracket part of your hitch?
This trailer uses an Equal-i-zer brand hitch (I use the same brand). The black bracket you are inquiring about are the "L" brackets that equate to the tension chains on a conventional weight distribution hitch. The spring bars rest on these brackets when the WD hitch system is engaged.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Maybe they have a really LARGE cat roaming the storage facility?

Does the guy in the spot next to yours wear golf shoes? Looks like he could have put his foot up to tie his shoe and it slipped.

We have that same hitch and the spring bars don't come in contact with the tongue (they ride on the bracket) so I don't think that is the answer.

Did you remove your batteries when you stored your Safari (she's beautiful BTW) - maybe you scraped them down the side of the tongue?

Ditto for the propane tanks? I don't think the propane tank cover is heavy enough to scratch like that.

Did you use a ladder to clean the roof? Maybe it scraped?

You're in Arizona - any desert beasties that could have done it?

Too far apart for rattlesnake fangs - unless he's a REALLY big boy!

They are evenly spaced - like the tines on a rake. Is the surface in the storage lot gravel? Somebody raking it and got carried away?

No other marks on the Safari or around it?

WAIT!!! Weren't there FOUR strange lights in the sky out your way afew days ago? Four lights, four scratches .... you do the math!!!

That's all I can think of - let us know if you figger it out!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Thanks for all these helpful replies!

As some posters noticed, we have an Equalizer hitch, and I double checked to make sure the anti-sway bars couldn't have made these scratches. I'm also sure I didn't make them myself (while removing batteries, etc). It's quite a puzzle, since the scratches are deep and evenly spaced, and they were made in an up-and-down motion. What could do that?

Our storage facility doesn't move rigs, and I checked with them to see whether they could explain these scratches. Not a clue! They also have excellent security procedures...but still, I've started to worry about theft. I think I've heard that if a trailer is well secured (mine had two locks on the ball latch), then thieves try to connect to some other part of the tongue and drag it off.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments! I'm sure one of the Airstream geniuses will soon solve this mystery!

Titus
Old 04-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
hope it wasn't one of these!

We haven't had the courage to go inside to see what this is

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Your scratches are indeed mysterious...I'm thinking that if they moved it with a tractor and the hitch point is really close to the back wheels of the tractor, tight turns will put the tires in contact with the tongue...I know from experience using my Kubota to park mine.

I'll keep studying this though...I love a mystery.

Marc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	creature within1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	58994  
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Who or what is parked next to you at the storage facility? It looks like something fell against the tongue.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Uh oh!! I'm starting to think maybe B25Guy and some other posters are on the right track. There WERE mysterious lights in the sky above Phoenix not too long ago. And there have been lots of rumors that the you-know-whats (hint: NOT of this Earth!) are moving west from Roswell! The truth IS out there! I'm just hoping it isn't covered in green slime.

As for the neighbors, I don't think they've moved their rig in a long time. I agree, though, that it looks like something fell and swiped the tongue on the way down. Our storage lot is covered w/gravel, so I guess it's conceivable someone dropped a rake while they were spreading it around. Maybe...but it sounds like a long shot.

In the meantime, I'm glad no one has said, "Oh, yeah, that's an obvious sign that someone was trying to grab your rig." Whatever the explanation, I'm starting to think it's a freak occurrence and nothing to be concerned about.

Still...on the very remote chance that the slimy green aliens from another time dimension are among us, it makes sense for all us Streamers to be extra careful with our rigs. After all, if you were invading Earth would you waste your time on Some Other Brand?

Thanks again for all the great replies!

Titus
Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you're that worried about theft, I would also chain or cable the trailer's wheels together.....makes it kinda-a tough to simply drag away!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Some things to consider.
1)The forward scratch seems to be covered by the plastic tie, hence it must have preceeded the installation of the tie.
2.)The scratches appear to be related to the abrasion on the top outer frame edge.
3.) The four scratches seem to have been made by something pivoting with the center on the top of the frame rearward of the rearmost (smallest) scratch, because the scratches, especially the longest scratch (the most forward) appear to be curved.

Does/did something clamp there?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Those look like marks from two tines, done twice, same tool. Not 4 marks once. Possibly something that was put on that shelf behind the propane tanks.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
I agree with your analysis, Excella CM, and with yours too, NevadaGeo. It really does look like a series of tines swept across the upper part of the tongue. If so, it's motion was complicated. In other words, if you look carefully, you'll see that the upper portions of the tracks are pretty straight and that the curves show up at about the halfway point of the longest scratches.

Oh by the way, someone asked whether there were any similar scratches on the other side of the tongue, and the answer is no.

It's really quite a puzzle, because I've never seen anyone in the storage lot except RV owners, and I've never seen any of them use a tool that could leave such marks. Still, I'm leaning toward the conclusion that someone had a rake or a "weeder" of some sort out there, and they dropped it. Not a very satisfying theory, but I'm coming up dry.

As I've said, I'm relieved that no one is saying these marks look like someone was trying to haul the trailer off (with a cable wrapped around the frame or ????).

I'm hoping it's a freak event with no real importance.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments. And for those of you who are scratching your heads about this, please keep thinking...because the truth IS out there!

Titus
Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking you might want to...

get one of those Lowjack type systems...just in case....the piece of mind will let you sleep at night...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusLivy
Today I noticed some unusual scratches on my Safari's tongue, and since I'm sure I didn't make them, I'm very suspicious. Could someone have tried to steal my Airstream?

These scratches were made recently, they're evenly spaced, they go completely through the paint and down to the metal, and they were made after my storage yard put the "security tag" in place a couple of months ago. While the trailer was stored, I had two locks on it: one on the ball-hitch socket and another through the latching pin.

What the heck made these scratches?

Thanks for your help solving this mystery!!
They look almost like claw marks from a bear.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusLivy
As I've said, I'm relieved that no one is saying these marks look like someone was trying to haul the trailer off (with a cable wrapped around the frame or ????).
If it were a cable wrapped around the tongue, there would be abrasions on all square edges of the tongue, there would be none on the flat part.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
could it have been a garden spading fork?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Lagrange , Kentucky
As I see that the AS is appearantly away from storage, could these scratches be from prying the load bars off of the brackets when you disconnected at home?
grtwhthuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I think it is paint related and a UV issue since it looks like it is on the bend or edge
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote