Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Buyer Beware

I recently purchased an exterior door latch assembly. The shipping time was 4 days. When I opened the package and inspected the part, I found that extensive modification would be required to the door skin both inside and out. I took the old latch apart and fabricated a new latch cam plate assembly. The latch now works good as new so I decided to return the part to the vendor I purchased it from. I naturally thought that I had 30 days to return the part but when I looked at the backside of the invoice, I found the part had to be retuned within 10 days of purchase.

I called the company and spoke to the receptionist, explained the situation of why I did not use the part and why it was more than 10 days. I was told the owner was the only person who could authorize the return and he would not be in for 2 days. After 6 days of the initial call, I recieved a phone message and was told I could not return the part. I had told the recepionist that i was willing to pay the 20% restocking fee and the return shipping cost.

I sent 2 E-Mails to the company and still have not had any response from them. I asked to be contacted by phone or E-mail hoping to discuss the matter further. In the past I have purchased axle assemblies, door and window weather strips, tail lamp lenses, and an assortment of sealants. This made no difference to them.

My point is: Beware of who you purchase parts from. Return policy is not on their website.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Amazing they couldn't cut you any slack even though you appear to be a good customer and spent some serious money with them. Sounds like you don't want to say the name of the company on this open forum but if you could, would you PM me the companies name so I can avoid getting burnt by them in the future?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sorry to hear about your experience and I suppose others will have it too since the vendor is not named.

I have had hassles over returns with retailers and told them I would never deal with them again. As a result they lose future monies. Two I can think of were over a 96¢ plumbing part and a pill cutter (about $4). Some people are so concerned they will be cheated they cheat themselves out of future business.

Gene
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Buyer Beware

I did not name the vendor because I read the forum rules and they ask that vendor disputes not be settled in the forum. I do try to follow the rules of the forum and of the vendor, however I do feel the vendor rules are not fair to the customer due to the shipping time lost, and not being posted on their website.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why would you think you had 30 days? We all must read the invoices when we order items. Company policies vary. jim
Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
30 days is the general policy from most companies. The policy is not stated on their website and I was not informed of it when I ordered the part. I am not blaming anyone but myself for not examining the invoice but instead examining the part. My point is simply: Buyer Beware!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Well, lets see....you're in Ohio, and the shipping time was four days.....Hmmm, may have come from the West coast?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Whatever the establishment is, not very good customer service in my book especially with your track record of big ticket purchases such as axle assemblies. I'd avoid future dealings.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Why would you think you had 30 days? We all must read the invoices when we order items. Company policies vary. jim
While I agree that it is up to the buyer to read the policy, and thus they should not be entitled to a return, even with restocking fees, etc., I do think that not returning emails or calls is a strong sign of overall poor customer service.

Furthermore, I am in the boat that a respectable company offers 30 day return policy or CLEARLY states the contrary. It is just the standard. For instance, I am especially fond of the clarity stated by certain ebay sellers, who explain that they can not except returns at all, and most even give a justifiable reason of why. That's just my impression of most sales companies, not an absolute truth.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Well, lets see....you're in Ohio, and the shipping time was four days.....Hmmm, may have come from the West coast?
It was not Neiman- Marcus!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Whatever the establishment is, not very good customer service in my book especially with your track record of big ticket purchases such as axle assemblies. I'd avoid future dealings.
One of the things that I find most objectionable is the fact that the owner would not return any contact requests. Did not have that problem when I called to order the axles. The call was returned promptly. I do not plan on any future purchases from this company.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Don't know for sure, but I'd bet the seller is watching this thread right now.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Ya know, if I was the seller, and actually proud of my parts return policy, I'd step foward, identify myself/company, and explain why this part is not returnable, and why I'd not returned my customer's calls and emails.

How about it seller? Want to identify yourself?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
P&K
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Some of these parts distributors have found ways to "make themselves necessary," like "we are the only one that can get this part with the exact radius of kanooder bracket for your trailer" or "its not safe if you dont buy this one that only we carry for 3000 dollars" or "others parts are inferior."
Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&K View Post
Some of these parts distributors have found ways to "make themselves necessary," like "we are the only one that can get this part with the exact radius of kanooder bracket for your trailer" or "its not safe if you dont buy this one that only we carry for 3000 dollars" or "others parts are inferior."
It is funny that you mention this. The website says "Must SLIGHTLY modify door". The thing I found out when I received the part was that the slight modification was that you have to cut the inner and outer skins and rivit in new filler plates. I did not want to modify the apperance of my trailer and the new plates are not polished, my trailer is. That is when I fabricated the new internal cam plate that is attached ti the striker. If anyone else wants to know how to do this, I would be happy to assist you so you will not have to do the "slight modification".
Old 09-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
This is always a 'sticky' salutation for the vendor when it comes to return parts...

Usually a 'return policy' is stated plainly, so that both parties know what's expected at the time of sale...

That being said, there's nothing preventing a vendor from 'stretching' his own rules to accommodate a good customers concerns over a particular transaction made in good faith...

If the customer purchased the item using a credit card for payment, there are charges that were 'absorbed' as it were, by the vendor to complete the sale, along order processing time (for the sale and restocking), shipping supplies, etc...

These are real costs for the vendor, and if the part is being returned for a reason other than a legitimate 'warranty', the customer should expect to pay for these costs - hence the 'return charge' as stated, etc...

The complaints regarding feedback info, etc. is another subject and vendors with poor customer relations usually suffer in sales as a result - unless of course they're the DMV,...

I use 30 days in my business, but we're all different, and some vendors with long lead times for specialty items have much more 'tighter' constraints - many specialty or 'slow moving' items might be limited as to quantity, and an order for a replacement has already been generated, causing the return to be in excess of what the vendor would normally carry - just some thoughts here - don't know the actual situation...

Buyer beware is ALWAYS a good policy...
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richfield , Ohio
Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
This is always a 'sticky' salutation for the vendor when it comes to return parts...

Usually a 'return policy' is stated plainly, so that both parties know what's expected at the time of sale...

That being said, there's nothing preventing a vendor from 'stretching' his own rules to accommodate a good customers concerns over a particular transaction made in good faith...

If the customer purchased the item using a credit card for payment, there are charges that were 'absorbed' as it were, by the vendor to complete the sale, along order processing time (for the sale and restocking), shipping supplies, etc...

These are real costs for the vendor, and if the part is being returned for a reason other than a legitimate 'warranty', the customer should expect to pay for these costs - hence the 'return charge' as stated, etc...

The complaints regarding feedback info, etc. is another subject and vendors with poor customer relations usually suffer in sales as a result - unless of course they're the DMV,...

I use 30 days in my business, but we're all different, and some vendors with long lead times for specialty items have much more 'tighter' constraints - many specialty or 'slow moving' items might be limited as to quantity, and an order for a replacement has already been generated, causing the return to be in excess of what the vendor would normally carry - just some thoughts here - don't know the actual situation...

Buyer beware is ALWAYS a good policy...
I was and am still willing to accept the 20% return charge. I understand the costs the vendor has on returns. However, the only place that I could find the part was at this vendor which leads me to believe that the part could be easily resold.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
so my lock system on my 86 excella is broken. I looked at the " some modification necessary" parts and decided to just use the deadbolt.( yup 2 lock system) BUT -- could you make me some new parts if I sent you the broken ones?
others may be interested...

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
........ If anyone else wants to know how to do this, I would be happy to assist you so you will not have to do the "slight modification".
Yes indeed. I would really like to see a few pictures of this. Fashioning a $2 part beats the heck outta all that time and money of the non-oem stuff.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Shhh! $20 dollar part, $20 dollar part