Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop View Post
No, that was a 98 Bambi that sold in 2019 I think. I included for potential value in restored, usable condition.
Copy. OPs Bambi at that price world be a go for this guy. Lol.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:32 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi98 View Post
We are new to the airstream world and trailer world. (We have always loved airstreams and thought they were beautiful but were more than we could spend) fast forward to a week ago a neighbor or is selling their 1998 Bambi.

Trailer has been sitting for 4+ years with nothing done in that time.

We would love any help/advice after receiving the inspection report. We are a little overwhelmed with everything it will need and just do not have any idea of what the cost for these things are to get it safely on the road for our family.

Some of the tasks are minor and expected in an old trailer:

Caulking needed everywhere, new tires, new propane tanks, new antenna, new battery, wheel packed
Big things or we think?

1) skin was hot - registering 20+ Volts

2)oven didn’t work but stove worked

2) electrical: ground and neutral cables were together? Inspector said need to be required to put red with red, black with black etc.

3). Owners removed A/C unit but did not know how or if the wires were capped/taped.

4) one outlet only measured 30v so losing energy somewhere ?

5) water heater could not be tested

6) dewinterized and appeared to have some small leaks on the outside of vehicle and pump did not hold pressure. The inspector due to this was not able to inspect the water heater However, when winterizing the trailer the pump held pressure and the person was able to get the fluid all the way through the system?

Any thoughts on anything about purchasing this trailer, the repairs, costs, value etc would be appreciated. I am handy with smaller things but those big items it would have to go to a professional, which seems very expensive.

Do we walk away or if it’s worth it what would you offer for this trailer ?
Sounds like a good deal for someone who can do a little themselves if the only problems are what you mention.

Sounds like most of the problems are wiring related.
Probably a wire vibrated against the skin and wore through or idiot hack job wiring damage.
If you cant do it all yourself get a pro to look at the wiring and then finish the recommended repairs you can do.

Might be worth having towed in or pro visited for a checkup to get an estimate.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Folks that buy a fixer upper with the plan of farming out the work are mostly in for a rude surprise. It is often far better to acquire a newer model for a higher price and pay up front.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
This sounds like a great trailer for someone who wants a project. If I we’re looking for a trailer in that size I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it if I could get it for a price where I would be ahead after making all the necessary repairs.

However if you are not looking for a project or can’t do this type of work yourself then this probably isn’t the project for you.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:54 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
That's what I'm talin' about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Is that the actual listing?

People love the little ones for so many reasons. The '98 Bambi goes for $18,500 and if you scroll down the ad there's a same year 34' for sale in the same condition for WHAAATTT???? just $6,000 more. Granted, those are asking prices and we don't know what they sold for. But, come on, the big one is almost twice as long!
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
That add was pre-covid, my guess if this trailer was in good shape and ready to camp would probably be worth about $20,000 now. The list of needed equipment plus an axle that is almost definitely needed would be close to $5,000. IF you can do the work, you wouldn't be too bad off at $15,000 should be $1-2,000 less for unknowns. IF you can't do the work figure BEST CASE guess $5,000 for labor plus $5,000 for parts, so would need price to be $10,000 or less. Worst case having someone else do the work it could cost more then $20,000 for parts and labor and not be worth the cost if free.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
With the exception of the air conditioner and electrical, these are repairs and maintenance that any trailer will eventually need.

If you bought a new trailer it would need tires, brakes and plumbing repairs sooner or later. Based on many of the posts on this forum it might be immediately for a new trailer lol.

None of the required work makes this a deal breaker unless the purchase price is so high that the cost after repairs would be higher than the repaired value.

Look at some one the restoration threads and you’ll see the amazing work airstream owners are capable of. I’ve seen our members bring trailers back from the dead that really were close to beyond saving. Like new frame or fire restoration.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Another important question is whether this size and layout of trailer is right for you.

This trailer is probably too small if you are planning on full timing with a family lol.

The first trailer I looked at was too big for my parking space and too big for my truck, and it needs more repairs than I wanted to do. I wouldn’t have taken it if it was free.

What is your intended use?
Old 12-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

redding , California
I would walk. There are better deals out there. The guy I bought my 93 Excella was annal about upkeep. Same for his 2002 Duramax with 71K miles on it.
We, however redid the entire inside and added second AC. Paid $10K for AS and $15Kfor truck. On first cut polishing now.
howell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , California
I have a 1983 - 32' During Covid I was offered $100,000 the Dealer wanted to gut it and sell it for a profit!!!!!!!, This was in California, near LA. Said no because its a family trailer. That being said, for the thread, if you are handy and its a good price, take the trailer and make it yours. In California, they are purchasing old trailers and making them new to save on Taxes$$$$$$
nhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:16 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
20 Volt HOT SKIN VOLTAGE can be DEADLY!

Immediately disconnect any power to that trailer! Make sure you are not standing on anything damp or in casual water!

May be a good buy? May be DEADLY?

Above is your number 1 negotiating point!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
Project or Camping

I think the question you need to answer first is what do you want with an Airstream? Do you want a massive expensive project or do you want to go traveling and camping? If it’s the latter, don’t buy this trailer!
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #33
Rhode Islander

Currently Looking...
Arcadia , Florida
It depends

Lots of good questions posed. Many owners of old Airstreams study and learn lots of DIY. Also, original Airstream stuff is reversed because they think they are preserving something special. If it comes at a low enough price, I suggest treating it like an aluminum camper. One thing you might consider is when you have to work on something, cut an access hole on the interior skin, make life easy for yourself, and repair it with a very neatly done cover plate fastened with sheet metal screws rather than rivets. This camper doesn't sound like all original perfectly maintained, so, patching here and there gives you function. A year of Saturdays an Tuesday and Thursday nights is flying out the window the minute you hand over the cash .
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
I bought my 1972 25' Trade Wind Land Yacht in 2004, for $2700.00. Everything was original equipment, and everything worked. The original A/C, stove/oven and refrigerator still works today. I replaced the furnace in 2012, even though it worked fine, because I was not comfortable with a forty-year-old heat exchanger. The water heater had also worked fine but was accidentally replaced by my Airstream dealer when they mistook my trailer for another 1972 that was in for a new water heater! I was just in for a quick check-up! Last year I finally upgraded from the original Univolt.

I am inclined to believe there is more going on with the trailer you are looking at and would recommend looking for another unless you are quite handy and/or are ready to spend some money.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Do you LIKE working on stuff…?? Or do you want to Travel…??

Buy the BEST AirStream you can afford. It will always be better than a junker with which you’ll always be frustrated as it dollars-you-to-death.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:27 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
No one can say if this trailer is a good deal without knowing the price.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeanfan View Post
no one can say if this trailer is a good deal without knowing the price.
bingo!

If I were close, I'd jump all over this for the right price!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop View Post
bingo!

If I were close, I'd jump all over this for the right price!
I have a friend, when he was younger (93 right now), He drove all over the US picking up Airstreams for Cheap, and re-modeling and selling them. His best purchase was a FREE airstream. He drove to Kansas from California. The Airstream was in a barn that was falling over. He took 4 tires with him since the trailer had not moved in 10 years.
On arriving he put the 4 new tires on, he had to support the barn then tear down the barn doors, and pulled the trailer out.

He has kept this trailer and has used it to this day. He did add solar, and a new water tank. BEST DEAL EVER!
nhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #39

1998 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Thank you to everyone for your responses and guidance. We decided to move forward with the purchase and are going to spend money for professionals and hope to learn a lot in the near future to complete some tasks ourselves as well.
Bambi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
walk away
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote