Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Broken step mechanism

We have a 2001 30' Excella that just yesterday had a problem with the steps.

The bolt on the right side that attaches the step assembly to the Airstream is gone. (see attached photo when the bolt is missing)

There is one on each side that creates the ability for the two bolts to slide front and back to swing out the steps when in use and swing them back under the Airstream when not in use.

That right bolt is completely gone and it appears it might have come loose and fallen inside the area sealed on the side. To get into that area, it looks like I will have to bust several rivets to remove the black aluminum covering.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6415.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	264040  
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
That stinks. As you can see there's no great way to get to it. I think about this stuff all the time as I put mine back together from a full monte... In this case, you could:

a.) drill out a bunch of rivets underneath, with the hopes of being able to pull the belly skin back enough to reach behind... OR

b.) Cut a nice clean access hole, or square. And then cut a patch to cover it. You can make the patch look nice and even use screws for an access panel.

I'd probably do option "b". Any way you look at this, you'll need to be able to get a wrench on the back side. So pick your poison

Good luck!
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I just installed a new step.
Try this: magnetic wand that looks like an antenna, mine has a pivot for the magnet. Just reach in the slot and fish around.

My trailer has a light for the step on that side, I took the light out and then I could work through the hole. However you don't need to do this.

Knowing how to install the step will help, here is how I did it:
The two back fasteners, are put on the step before the step is mounted. Then by twisting the step each bolt head will enter the slot. Using a 9/16" box wrench you can sneak the wrench between the belly pan (you will find a small cutout, lined up with the inside nut) and hold the nut and washer for tightening.

Starting the nut is fun, I found swiveling the magnet to 90 degrees and putting it on the nut's hole. Fishing the nut and washer through the belly pan cutout. The magnet would hold it well enough so the threads could be started, then switch to the box wrench.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote