Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Breakaway Switch

I Have to admit, I have no experience with brakeaway switches. Should I be able to pull the pin at will?? I have no idea how old mine is,but I am sure its been replaced at one time, by the way the wires were put back together. So should I replace it seeing I cannot pull the pin?
Thanks
ROGER
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Pull harder! And yes replace it as it is an inexpensive safety item.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Should I be able to pull the pin at will??
Yes. I suspect it is not been pulled out for too long and any lubricant has dried out and/or dirt has gotten into it. I'd try some WD40 to loosen and lubricate it, and try to gently pry it out. It is supposed to lubricated with some oil periodically, but mine gets tough to remove after a while (which probably means I don't lub it enough). I don't remember what kind of oil, but if you still have the owner's manual, it should tell you what kind. It may be something like 3-in-One.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Roger,
The first time I tested mine, I thought it was stuck. It took a lot of force to get it out. So maybe you aren't pulling hard enough. If you find you can't pull it at all, then I would replace it. Keep in mind you do want it to be hard to pull so that it doesn't accidentally actuate. If you get it out remember to put it back fairly quickly, because the full 12 volts will damage the brake coil's if left applied too long. Unfortunately I don't know how long that is, but I'm sure some here does.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hi Roger,

One of the sites when I was looking for the Tekonsha breakaway switch said 75 lbs. pressure to pull the pin. We replaced ours twice in 6 years. The first one was one of the flat plastic case ones but it looked like crap in about two years of sitting out in the weather. The next one was the round metal Tekonsha 2009-P from Vintage Trailer Supply.
Breakaway Switch

Note the instructions say it needs to be mounted so that it can pivot somewhat on the mounting bolt....

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/down...on/N2009-P.pdf
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
3-5 yr replacement. If the tires are on a five year schedule, then it's also a convenient time to R&R the switch.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I dunno' - mine's still fine after "all these years" ... it has been engaged several times - when I got myself tangled up in the "trip wire" while trying to get between the trailer and tow vehicle. Klutzy for sure. It does take a tug to get it to come out, so that I've had no doubt when I've done it. I have also pulled the pin occasionally (and deliberately) just to make sure that doing so sets the brakes. It does. So then I put the pin back again and go about my business until I forget the trip wire is there and snag it wih my shoes again!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote