Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Big problem, well two problems

I have been busy with new decks and guest houses being built around the place, so the restoration of the AS has been put on hold for awhile. But really i just need to finish the cabinets. The problem now comes in the form of Twins, (TWO PROBLEMS) which my wife is pregnant with. really they are a blessing...

I re-did the AS with bunks for our two kids and a dinette to sit at. Well the dinette will work for a few years for the twins to sleep on but when they get to be about 3 we will not all fit in the AS.

Now, I'm not gonna get rid of it, but we will have to get something bigger. Which will probably mean a SOB with a slide, or a bunk house or something to sleep all 6 of us..
I can't even believe I'm saying it......

But the reality is AS just weren't and still aren't designed for families.
But I love ours and have a lot of hours into it. So for now it will get finished this winter, and when the wife and I want to get away without the kids it will get hooked up.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Congratulations on the impending additions to your family. Before you leap ship to SOB, try looking at some widebodies from the late 90s. That extra girth makes a huge difference in how much space you have. Check out some of the bigger floor plans - you just might be surprised

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Yep,your right. We cant routinely fit all ours in Christine. We are fortunate that my twins, boys, 6'0" - 230 lbs, prefer not to sleep inside...they say it's not cool! Also have a 12 yr old boy and another 16 yr old daughter in the house.

We decided not to force everyone to go camping when we go. Thats when we discovered our daughter hates it.....so be it. The boys only end up inside when severe weather hits which is rare. The boys like to "set up" their little camp and have a blast.

The back side of the issue for us was that when we go camping, Christine is mainly sleeping quarters, so he floors work out fine when needed. We own land in West Texas where my wife and I boondock, the kids prefer not to go.

When the issue came up, my wife and I were discussing the same issues as you. The kids got REALLY upset with the thought of replacing Christine.........funny how that aluminum illness spreads huh...........

Well, enough rambling....

TWINS! Congratulations! Outstanding!

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good suggestion Janet. Jason, just don't buy the name 'six sleeper' and figure your problems are solved. It probably has less comfortable sleeping space than your Airbassador.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Congrats on the news about the twins! Will the two older kids be old enough in a few years to sleep in a tent outside the trailer? That's what I hear lots of families do when there isn't enough sleeping space. The trailer becomes more of a living space than sleeping space.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Good suggestion Janet. Jason, just don't buy the name 'six sleeper' and figure your problems are solved. It probably has less comfortable sleeping space than your Airbassador.
Bob,
I'm wondering if that's accurate when you're talking about very young children. Since they are (usually! ) quite small and light, why would the dinette and front sofa not be comfortable for them...?

While nothing is forever, it seems to me that little kids are much more flexible in terms of sleeping area.

Good thing though that the 6'3" 230 pounders decide to sleep outdoors!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can also get one of those Safari Bunkhouse models, there is one in the forums classifieds now. I've slept in the bottom bunk in one, and it was quite comfortable.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
My twin boys (6'2") fit quite nicely on our dinette, and pull out sofa when they go with us. When the girlfriends go we sleep 6 in our 25 footer. All adults.

I say try it for a while before you ditch the trailer.

You can use a safety rail that slips under the cusions that keeps them for rolling off the bed, and just put one at each end of the couch bed, or dinette bed.

Oh, and congtrats! Twins are a blessing, they were alot of work, but I'm thankful everyday for them.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
utilize the TV

just a couple of cents here, I do not know what TV you are using, but how about a van? convert the back row(s) of seats into a sleeping area and voila! two more can sleep comfortably, and still go camping with the rest of the fam...

and congrats on the twins! be nice to mom
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
All great ideas. We have used our friends wide body and to tell the truth our floor plan seems to have more room... It a few years down the road and even if we did get another trailer other than an AS there is no way we would ditch our baby, I love that thing and have a lot of sweet into it...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Hi Purman,
Congratulations on the family addition!! I agree with the previous posts; keep the treasure you have. I have one possible suggestion.

You might be able to add the ceiling/sidewall mounted single bunks from the late 60's to mid 70's; useful of course only when the offspring are adequately sized for ths adventure. I really enjoyed this when I was young. I think all the parts can be re-created with relative ease as they are relatively simple.

My Caravel is ( and was originally) so equipped. Location & availability of this option varied with the interior arrangement and place of manufacture.

I think I have still have the photos from a post some years back if you want to see what I am talking about; snd me a private message and ( if you are interested) I am willing to forward them to you via Email if I can locate same.

One caution: Generally only those under 55 can sleep in these.
WLJ1943
wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
have your considered getting an older Airstream MOHO that can tow your current AS?
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote