Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
When I had to trim my water heater hole a bit taller, I grabbed my aviation tin snips after marking the line. Used the left and then the right hand ones to trim away the skin in the way, filed off the sharp edges, and drove on. No hesitation once I triple checked measurements. It's an AS, not solid gold....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #22

Berkeley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
What's the best way to cut a 3" hole
Yes, one of the most important tools in my toolbox, is a hole saw kit with different mandrels . The best to cut clean holes.
airator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
I have cut four round holes in my vintage AS skin (shore power, water fill, and two for the furnace). I used hole saws for all four. Once the agonizing measurement process was complete, cutting the holes was relatively easy.
If using a hole saw select a metal cut saw and drill slowly counter clockwise to prevent the the teeth from digging in the aluminum.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #24
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
The basic RotoZip tool has a circular guide. Set the tool at a 1.5 inch radius, drill the pilot hole on center, then set the tool to cut the hole. Metal cutting bits are available.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
Here is just a suggestion:
Try getting a Greenlee hole punch in a much smaller diameter and a hole saw of the same diameter and try both on a scrap piece of aluminum.
One of the best hole saws I've ever bought was this Greenlee carbide cutter. I've used it on aluminum up to 5/16" thick, usually in a milling machine but also freehand, and it does an awesome job. The carbide teeth make for a very smooth cut and a bit of tilt once the cut is started lets you steer clear of the ripping that can occur when you use a dull cutter, or too much speed.

Budget permitting (the 1 1/8" cutter was around $100 if I recall correctly) I would get this 3" cutter and the matching quick-change arbor.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
I definitely over-thought it. Skin is thicker than I expected... Made it easier to deal with.

I simply used high speed, and some "feel" ...making sure not to dig down too hard and poking the teeth through systematically. Ended up with two perfect little circle shaped tin can lids!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have possibly observed a tendency of some folks to over think things on this forum....

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
I definitely over-thought it. Skin is thicker than I expected... Made it easier to deal with.

I simply used high speed, and some "feel" ...making sure not to dig down too hard and poking the teeth through systematically. Ended up with two perfect little circle shaped tin can lids!
Hole saw?

I think the hardest part is making sure you have the right spot and the thought that you're putting a big hole in your trailer.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Of course we're overthinking it, we're cutting holes in our Airstreams.
mshumer995 is offline   Reply With Quote