Old 05-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Charlottesville , Virginia
Best use of time: polishing or repairing...

Hello all!
My husband and I have a 78 Tradewind that weve gutted and are slowly piecing back together. Weve done new floors and have moved to exterior work (fans, lights, random holes, etc).

Were currently in debates as to what is the best use of time is right now, and what the proper order of operations should be :-)
One of us thinks that the polishing should be done before all of the seam sealing and leak checking. The other thinks it should be absolutely the last thing we worry about.

Would polishing after sealing the whole thing up be a bad idea? Would it potentially cause leaks? Or does it not matter as long as you tape off things?

OffTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You have done the floors so step one is to get it watertight. Then get the running gear sorted out, then interior, last is polishing.

I say that because once you get the running gear sorted out and a basic interior, you can go camping. This will recharge your enthusiasm for the project and give you some ideas for how you might want to complete your final layout.

Lots of folks burn out on a rehab you see lots of ads in the classifieds for project trailers. Critical loss of fun quotient in most cases.

Fun camping is the goal nice and shiny is later...

Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Ive got zero experience refurbing but it would seem to me that polishing would be last, as that is the finish item. I would be doing everything else in case something comes up and additional exterior work happens and then you have to polish all over again.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
Another (same) perspective: Finished rehab 12 years ago. Made the shell water tight. Lots of camping and cross country trips since.

Started polishing 4 weeks ago. I'm just about 50% finished. You don't need to wait that long.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
What gets you going

I think it depends to some degree on where you get your energy.

If youre flagging and the only thing that interests you is polishing, then Id do a little polishing until it gives you enough motivation to do other critical stuff.

I agree that until youre finished with the reno, you dont know if youll need to disturb the skin. But that may be a price your willing to pay.

Body integrity is really important to prevent damage to your Interior. If its an All Hands On Deck Thing to get that done, then Id go with that.

But if its not, if you have the degrees of freedom to make choices in a more relaxed way, then heres my philosophy about time management, which is basically energy management:

Engineers and their brethren are driven by order and logic. Those of us not motivated by order and logic have to find the stuff that gives us energy and then use that energy for doing the things that sap our energy. But there still is a logical framework that should help govern your choices.

Have fun AND get it done!
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I've taken a small bites approach to polishing. As I rebuilt/repaired items on the outside of the shell (windows/shore power/etc) I polished out about a foot around each opening before reinstalling. Of course I polished the pieces being reinstalled that needed it before reinstalling. I wanted a clean surface to mount on but also wanted to be able to mask around windows when polishing other areas to minimize clean up. Not necessary, just a nod to OCD.

A bit of a patchwork look for a couple years, but I worked on polishing the remainder as time and energy allowed. Still not completely done, but we are getting there.

Also still working on punch list. Until you do a few camping trips will you know what needs to be altered/replaced/removed.

Agree with n22916s, goal is functionality to camp, whether or not trailer is polished can be secondary. I never had anyone give me a negative attitude about appearance. Most will be glad you saved another vintage trailer and encourage you to keep going. Enjoy the process, take a break once in a while, stepping back and thinking about how to do the next step can make it go smoother and faster.

Beginning in 2013:

Click image for larger version

Name:	First Day.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	367817 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Sink Cab with Dixie stove.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	367819

Current:

Name:	Curb side 5 2019.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	367818 Click image for larger version

Name:	sink cab with new light under wall cab.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	367820

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Smile 57 Vintage

Hey Harold and Rebecca,

It's lookin' good!
Old 05-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
I'm about 1/3 thru a re-polish. I am finding the Nuvite is harder to find. Vintage Trailer Supply is sold out. Amazon is stupid expensive
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
57 Vintage - how sweet she is, especially her little kitchen.
PatLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Always always always fix leaks first......
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
As it relates to polishing......I am actually considering not polishing but doing necessary prep, and re-clearcoating.....I absolutely love the look and glow of the nice clearcoat.....not to mention, it lasts decades.....Now my '68 has pretty decent clearcoat now, so its a little easier for me to consider re-clearcoating instead of polishing....some Airstreams are so oxidized that it is not really an option......But I am not hung up on having to polish......Click image for larger version

Name:	twinkie2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	367846
Old 05-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #12
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
I'm about 1/3 thru a re-polish. I am finding the Nuvite is harder to find. Vintage Trailer Supply is sold out. Amazon is stupid expensive
Try Aircraft Spruce. A little more $, but they have it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Mkcurtiss - your Overlander looks so good as is, I don't blame you for sticking with the clear coat glow. And you won't have near the maintenance you would have if you polished, right?
Old 05-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Polish now.....

I myself would polish now if I had the help and could get it done in a fairly short amount of time. Then would reseal everything. If you reseal now, you'll probaly rip off the seal/caulking when buffing at a later time. IMO

I started mine last fall and hopefully will finish in the next few weeks. Mines a 23 footer, I have 3/4 of the airstream done with the first pass. Only 2 more to go. ugh! I also plan on putting white buskote on the roof, so I won't be polishing it and that should save me from some polishing time. See pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8880.jpg
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	367867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8885.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	367868  

Name:	IMG_8887.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	367869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Size:	546.6 KB
ID:	367870  

Mx468 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Ugg polishing, hard work however it is satisfying. I would do any and everything else first.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Mantua , Ohio
Maybe helpful

Hello there. Just wanted to comment on some experience I've had with buffing and sealants. In my experience, you want to buff first because the sealant will get *really* gummed up with buffing compound. I always really liked using the bone tool to clean out the old sealant, using a small buffing wheel to get into the corners and then make SURE every last bit of buffing compound is out of the joint. I'm using trempro 635 in the seams after I buff and I think the nozzle moves across the surface easier. Best of luck!
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
knowmercy - what is a "bone tool"?
Old 05-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Really not a right or wrong approach here. Pros/cons to both... If this is your first/only trailer, I'm voting for only polishing around items that you remove (running lights, etc) and putting your available time into the renovation / getting the trailer to a usable state. Sounds like you've removed the interior skins. If so, you can (and should) seal the seams from the inside. If needed, go ahead and do some exterior sealing as well to ensure it's water tight. Once the interior renovation is complete you can tackle the exterior polishing as time permits. If I already had a trailer to use (or simply wasn't in a rush to complete the renovation), I'd lean towards polishing the trailer early in the renovation (while the interior skins were out) since it may identify exterior panels I'd want to replace. I enjoy renovation as much as I do camping so I didn't really rush it.
Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Mkcurtiss - your Overlander looks so good as is, I don't blame you for sticking with the clear coat glow. And you won't have near the maintenance you would have if you polished, right?
Definitely low maintenance with clearcoat......i use spray wax and it is quick and easy.....i can wax the whole thing in about 40 min.

TY for compliment!
Old 05-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Mantua , Ohio
Bone tool clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
knowmercy - what is a "bone tool"?

Hello, Pat. A bone tool is a small scraper made from bone. Its my favorite tool for scraping sealant without damaging the aluminum. Here is the one I prefer: https://www.vencink.com/product/pendant-lamp/ I hope this is helpful. I keep several around for picking off tar, sealant, etc from the aluminum.

knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote