Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Rednax

I'll try to remember to post a photo sometime but I have a larger-than-stock 5 pound dry chemical fire extinguisher in a vehicle/marine mount. Mine is from Buckeye but there are other quality-oriented vendors that make a product that can be tested and recharged. I have it more or less in the stock location. It fits although I had to move the magazine rack a little bit.

The main use of these, of course, is to extinguish a small fire -- cooking, bedding, tires -- before it grows.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Here's one supplier. I got mine from someplace else but they don't come up in the search results any more:

Buckeye Fire Extinguisher, ABC, 5 Lb., Vehicle - 25614 | Fire Extinguishers | Fire Protection | SustainableSupply.com
Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Regarding your question, the important thing is to get a good quality vehicle mount so that the extinguisher will stay in one spot. The wall hooks used for stationary applications, that usually come with the extinguisher, aren't suitable. A location near the door is ideal, of course, so that the extinguisher can be accessed from a place of safety, and also so that it may be brought to bear on fires either inside or outside the trailer.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thank you, Jammer. This is appreciated.

There is probably a handful of threads -- as 2Air started -- that ought to be collected as a sticky on safe evacuation, and not just tools (nor just fire) to be considered.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #25
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
A Coast Guard approved fire extinguisher will come with a mount that will retain the unit in rough seas which should be adequate for our trailers.
I have these in the Tin Pickle, Burning Man mutant vehicles, steam launch and several in our house and shop. Never used one yet, but....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
As a first-responder, I can tell you that a vehicle fire is next to impossible to put out with any size fire extinguisher. The nooks and crannies that it hides in, the types of materials, fuel and oil... all bad stuff. The fumes from burning plastics are nothing you want to get close to.

For a trailer, get an extinguisher that is going to be primarily for kitchen mishaps... or possibly to slow a fire down enough to get everyone out. I'd put way more effort into prevention... keeping ignition sources out of any living space... proper detectors checked frequently... dust and vibration are killers of smoke detectors. There are some great gas/co/smoke combos out there now... use at least 2.

As for shade-tree mechanics and fuel systems... I've seen some horrible stuff... how about stuck under the front-end in gas soaked coveralls and and ignition. In new vehicles especially, fuel systems remain pressurized and screwing with them if you don't know what is going to happen is bad news.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Friday is correct that a fire of electrical origin, that starts inside the walls or cabinetry, is going to be nearly impossible to extinguish. Such fires are more common than any other RV fire. Not much to do about these except prevention through careful wiring practices during maintenance.

In addition to kitchen mishaps, though, having an extinguisher is also useful for fires outside the traylah that pose a risk to it.

I do my own fuel injection repairs and a certain amount of fuel leakage is inevitable. Proper fuel line bleeding procedures do help a great deal. I keep a 20 pound CO2 extinguisher close at hand while performing such work and have a 20 pound ABC extinguisher next to it for backup. Also have great paranoia about getting gas and oil on my clothes, if it happens I go outside and wait for it to evaporate or change clothes if it's bad enough.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
Fire and Life Safety

Notice in Mac's schedule there are no airstream rallies.
I saw his demonstration. Now I want a non-toxic extinguisher. And getting fire safety equipment made for RVs.
Mac's web site is where I would go for information and equipment.
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
One thing about the dry powder extinguishers -- the powder settles and compacts -- won't work even if the gauge is in the green. Add to your semiannual preventive maintenance list: dismount the unit, turn it upside down, and smack the heck out of it on the bottom a few times with a rubber mallet to loosen the powder.

If you need to have one recharged because of age (hasn't been discharged), don't dump the powder. It's not cheap, but is reusable.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Corvallis , Oregon
I recently bought 4 of the Element Fire extinguishers. Didn't want the bulky bottles. Two are the 100-second and others are 50-second discharge. Located at the front door and rear bedroom. Videos at the web site: https://elementfire.com/
2022 F-250 Lariat 4x4, 6.7L, 3:31 axle.Titan 55-gal. tank.
W0X0F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I have a 9 lb ABC dry chemical extinguisher that rides behind our dinette and it is always placed outside at the bottom of the stair when setting up camp (we have a 27FB). It doubles as a weight for the corner of the outdoor mat. My plan is: get out first, fight fire second. So far no one has cared to steal the extinguisher from camp. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote