Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
BEST Converter Placement

Hi Folks

Could someone be so kind as to explain which is better placement for a converter. I am replacing the Univolt with a Boondocker 45 amp that I got from Randy at Best Converters a while back.

What I am wonder is it better to mount it on the wall or laying flat on the floor or shelf. If mounted on wall Fan up or on the down side.

Any other tips would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Heat rises so a vertical mounting should have the fan on the bottom to draw the cooler air. It can be mounted either way, whichever way your space dictates.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Heat rises so a vertical mounting should have the fan on the bottom to draw the cooler air. It can be mounted either way, whichever way your space dictates.
Actually, if you're using a cooling fan, the whole "heat rises" issue is less of an issue. That's for natural ventilation, not forced ventilation. But if you can do it, it's not a bad idea to mount it so that the airflow from the fan goes up as SeeMore suggests.

The real key is to mount it so that any switches and readouts are readily accessible. Mounted horizontally, the "front" of the unit should face the front of the opening. Mounted vertically below eye level, the front of the unit should face up.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
And away from water heater, pump, sink drains, or any potential leak.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
And away from water heater, pump, sink drains, or any potential leak.
Well that's pretty much the whole trailer
Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Flat on the floor as close to the battery as possible.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
On my Avion 34X (very similar to an Airstream 34' triple), I just installed a Progressive Dynamics PD-4560 power center, that includes the converter.

I put it in the original location, which is just aft of the kitchen at the bottom of a large cabinet. However, my new one is tall and narrow (if you mount it vertically, which is how I wanted to do it, with the fan and converter at the bottom and the panel at the top, with the door opening horizontally to the left, just like a power panel in a house) whereas the original was shall but wide. I had to cut the cabinetry hole deeper vertically, then shim it in on the sides, and them made a 3/4" thick spacer to set the whole unit out into the coach a little bit because the new unit is deeper than the old one, and would hit a duct.

New install works great. Gotta love the Charge Wizard! Really supposed to be good for the batteries.

And, I now have two buses of 50amp power instead of a single bus of 30amp, so I've got 12,000 watts available instead of 3600. Working great so far.

But to the other guys' point, airflow is a big deal. Also the maker of the unit will probably tell you how they want it mounted. I know PD did....

Best of luck,
Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for the help. This is the placement (mock up) I have come up with. With a new, large breaker panel. This is in a rear bath

The picture shows to new circuits, to be, in flex. also flex to run 12 volt to new Refer.

If I knew what I was doing it would take minutes. Not knowing takes way too long

If you see any problem with what I have planned please let me know

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2109.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	194115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2114.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	194116