Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
DOVER , OH
Best Batteries

I will be putting two new batteries in our classic 30 in March before our first trip of the year. Any recommendations on the very best Batteries for the job?
Navodlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navodlum1 View Post
I will be putting two new batteries in our classic 30 in March before our first trip of the year. Any recommendations on the very best Batteries for the job?
Lead acid or lithium?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Depends. Do you regularly boondock? Have any solar? Original equipment converter?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
DOVER , OH
We don't do much boondocking and our converter is working fine (per techs at the mother ship).
Navodlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I saw an interesting video (of course I can’t find it right now) on comparing batteries and the conclusion was to get the cheapest lead acid ones you can find. If you take care of them they will last as long and perform just as well as expensive ones. Assuming, of course, that they are the same size. FWIW!

Full disclosure, I have lithium batteries.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Dallas , TX
lithium batteries have come down in price so much is about the same as an AGM now.
hotdogakamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Sam’s Club has a deal on batteries most every spring. Watch for their sale, and pick up two 6v golf cart batteries. Bring in your old batteries to avoid a core charge. Instant, inexpensive upgrade.
Hook them up in series, obviously.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'm voting for keep it simple since boondocking it not a focus.

I just installed 27DCM $100 each from O'Reilly. These are AFAIK made by East Penn. One advantage is you should be able to have warranty assistance if needed anywhere an ORL store is.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Spokane , Washington
I have two AGM 6 volts that are about a year old ad want to add two more..is it permissible to use another brand on the new ones? I have Crowns CRV220s now..
Jerrylax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogakamik View Post
lithium batteries have come down in price so much is about the same as an AGM now.
Really? I did a research last night. the Chinese ones are cheapest compared to Dakota and Battlehorn lithium batteries.

Question is if i buy cheapest, how is its quality?

I have 2 interstate batteries that came with my Flying Silver. I had a Lifeline battery for my popup before i bought my previous Bambi.

I am waiting for the interstate batteries to die, then I will switch to lithium but it is a pain to change the inverter and charge controller.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navodlum1 View Post
We don't do much boondocking and our converter is working fine (per techs at the mother ship).

If you aren’t doing much boondocking (neither do we), I would buy simple, inexpensive deep cycle lead-acid batteries. If you have a Costco or Sam’s membership, I am sure you can score decent batteries for less than $100 a pop.

Check the water level regularly, keep the terminals clean and soldier on.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We do nothing but Boondock - started with two 12v international lead acid - which meant we had to run the stupid generator twice a a day for a couple of hours because the 200w of solar just didn't do it - so we exchange for two 6v trojans that was better as the solar just barely did the job but had to run the generator couple time a week to top them up if the sun was iffy . after one season we just about killed the poor things ... so now we run 200w of solar on the roof + 180w suitcase if shady and 200w of lithium (still carry the genny as back-up and to run the microwave for popcorn )
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
Really? I did a research last night. the Chinese ones are cheapest compared to Dakota and Battlehorn lithium batteries.

Question is if i buy cheapest, how is its quality?

I have 2 interstate batteries that came with my Flying Silver. I had a Lifeline battery for my popup before i bought my previous Bambi.

I am waiting for the interstate batteries to die, then I will switch to lithium but it is a pain to change the inverter and charge controller.

Don’t buy the cheapest (Unknown Chinese brand) or the most expensive (battleborn or higher rated). If you compare a SOK 100ah lithium to lifeline AGM for the same usable ah. It’s about the same price.

https://www.sokbattery.com/products/...-cycle-battery

$570

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...r/gpl-27t.html

U need 2 to get 100a usable: $660

I’d just get lithium for the price and other benefits that comes with it and there are many.
hotdogakamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Lead-acid:
I've used Interstate Batteries in all my vehicles and I think they're as good as anyone.
My FC came with two group 24 (2017) and they're still kicking. When the time comes I'll replace them with two more Interstates.

(I always suspected that there's one giant battery factory and they get the store labels slapped on at the end of the process. My "Die Hard" didn't work any better than a "Duracell")
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If I were in your position, I would go for a pair of Lifeline GPL-4CT batteries. They are 6VDC each and 220 amp/hours, which gives you a total of 220 A/H at 12VDC when connected in series. They are warranteed for 5 years and the main office in CA is very good about keeping up with warranty issues. They are also the only lead/acid battery that I sell or use, other than lithium.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
If I were in your position, I would go for a pair of Lifeline GPL-4CT batteries. They are 6VDC each and 220 amp/hours, which gives you a total of 220 A/H at 12VDC when connected in series. They are warranteed for 5 years and the main office in CA is very good about keeping up with warranty issues. They are also the only lead/acid battery that I sell or use, other than lithium.

Hey Lew. Great find....would any modifications have to be made on the front battery A frame box and/or would these fit in battery doors built into the body?
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Spokane , Washington
I intend to add two more 6V AGMS and install them behind the couch in our 2017 30 classic.. I will change out the factory converter as well..thinking seriously about changing the 1000 amp inverter too. Can’t seem to get an answer about adding the two 6V with another brand, say mixing trodden with crown etc..
Old 01-29-2021, 06:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Hey Lew. Great find....would any modifications have to be made on the front battery A frame box and/or would these fit in battery doors built into the body?
I don't think that these would fit in the battery doors in the coach wall, as they are too short, but they will definitely fit into your front battery box in the frame.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrylax View Post
I intend to add two more 6V AGMS and install them behind the couch in our 2017 30 classic.. I will change out the factory converter as well..thinking seriously about changing the 1000 amp inverter too. Can’t seem to get an answer about adding the two 6V with another brand, say mixing trodden with crown etc..
First, you can't really 'add' AGM batteries to a pair that is already in there; the charging profiles will be quite different and will cause the rapid degradation of the batteries. So..... if you really want 4 AGMs, you should purchase 4 new batteries of the same size, style and manufacture date.

The best inverter to purchase would be the Victron 12/3000/120 unit. When properly connected, it will operate your entire coach when off-grid with the exception of your A/C units, but one of these could be connected to the inverter/charger and operated for a short time on your 4 AGM batteries. You would also require a new dual 50 amp circuit breaker, 30 amp breaker and 20 amp breaker for one of your A/C units for your new inverter circuit that will house your main power connection and the 30 amp 'IN' connection for the inverter, as well as a circuit for one of your A/C units that you won't be using when off-grid. Your present converter would be no longer needed and could be removed.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Spokane , Washington
Thanks...I had an idea I should make them all new...that is what I did for our boat. I don’t think I’m interested in running the AC off the batteries but I might use the two honda 2200s for that. I know I should change out the converter, what would you recommend for that..and the solar controller? I appreciate your input.