Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Moflash, where are you getting your AGMs?

I got mine from Randy @ Best Converters.Great prices and delivered to my front door.I also bought my upgraded converter from there.Very satisfied

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Fort Riley , Kansas
So I spoke to the Airstream authorized service facility today in Springfield MO. They are about 6 hours away from me, the service person I spoke to agreed with me that the batteries may be finished due to the Airstream standing on the lot for that long, without anyone worrying about the batteries charge. He said since I am still within my first year after purchase, the batts are warranted still. I told him what was happening and honestly I was prepared from reading all of your replies, he talked about monitoring the battery for leaks with the amp meter, then figuring out the issue. Point is that we have to leave the Airstream for almost 2 weeks at the dealer/servicer, because it's so far away from us and we won't be able to go back within a week. Anyway, I asked about the converter and possible replacing it and he said he never did this before? And he said we can certainly research it and it would cost in the "thousands"? I am trying to figure out how to relate to him the issues at hand and the converter issue. I know I am not the most versed in anything Airstream electronics related, but I am learning. This is right now where i am standing in terms of finding a solution. There are a lot of great tips on this threat and it will take me some time to sort through them. I wish I was more handy.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You actually get very little charge added to the batteries when driving and pulling the trailer. At least that is the way it has been for the 2 trucks I have towed with.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
You are going to get the same batteries from Airstream that you have now Just buy some high quality batteries and change your converter.
Read up on this forum for info many of us have done it for a reason.That is the purpose of this forum to learn.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You actually get very little charge added to the batteries when driving and pulling the trailer. At least that is the way it has been for the 2 trucks I have towed with.

Depends on your converter,your vehicle charging system and how far you drive.My oem converter was overcharging my batteries as it was a single stage (full charge always) That is standard equipment in a new Airstream. I went thru two sets of batteries before changing to a three stage converter that incorporates a float stage when batteries are fully charged.A lot of times I will drive 600-1100 miles at one sitting.I have a heavy duty alternator in my Ford f350 Super Duty.The new converter is a much higher quality unit and whisper quiet.All for a couple hundred dollars and one hour or so of work.Then switched the standard group 24 batteries for Lifeline group 27's and now the system is what it should have been to begin with.But Airstream can't afford to put all the quality components in standard because............

Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkiemand View Post
So I spoke to the Airstream authorized service facility today in Springfield MO. They are about 6 hours away from me, the service person I spoke to agreed with me that the batteries may be finished due to the Airstream standing on the lot for that long, without anyone worrying about the batteries charge. He said since I am still within my first year after purchase, the batts are warranted still. I told him what was happening and honestly I was prepared from reading all of your replies, he talked about monitoring the battery for leaks with the amp meter, then figuring out the issue. Point is that we have to leave the Airstream for almost 2 weeks at the dealer/servicer, because it's so far away from us and we won't be able to go back within a week. Anyway, I asked about the converter and possible replacing it and he said he never did this before? And he said we can certainly research it and it would cost in the "thousands"? I am trying to figure out how to relate to him the issues at hand and the converter issue. I know I am not the most versed in anything Airstream electronics related, but I am learning. This is right now where i am standing in terms of finding a solution. There are a lot of great tips on this threat and it will take me some time to sort through them. I wish I was more handy.
Your batteries are warranted by Interstate, so any Interstate dealer should be able to replace them for you under the manufacturer's warranty.

Your dealer is an IDIOT! Full retail on the PD-4655 conversion is $270 and they can be had for less. A well qualified Certified RV Technician can swap the converters in an hour or so.....so where is the 'thousands' the dealer was talking about. I just did a couple of PD-4655 conversions at Balloon Fiesta and both were under an hour with replacing the fuse panel, and both were in difficult access locations.

Your dealer only knows what Airstream tells them, and all of that is certainly not the best answer for a given situation, as is evident here!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We just went to the balloon fiesta rally where we boon docked for the first time in our 6 month old 2014 FC. Every morning the batteries were dead even though we had run the generator the day before to charge them. We were EXTREMELY conservative with our power usage but they just kept running down. Several people suggested we find Lou and talk to him. One afternoon the hubs and a fellow Airstreamer tested the batteries. It just so happened that the Interstate battery rep drove by to hand out goodie bags. He had tools with him and tested the batteries. They had 5 dead cells. Further research indicated the batteries were made in 11/13. They happily replaced our batteries under full warranty and saved the day. I am wondering if you have the same kind of situation going on.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:03 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Fort Riley , Kansas
Silverlabs,

Thank you so much for your input. I'm deeply suspicious of the state of our batteries as well and too think that they are goners. I have set up an appointment to get this looked at and hopefully fixed under warranty. We purchased our Silver Girl on 12/23/2013, and then it stood on the lit until June, unattended.
You got lucky to have the Interstate guy driving by, WITH tools!! I will make it hopefully to the balloon fiesta next year, did you go with WBCCI?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
A couple things I have learned from my short experience with my new Serenity….. the subwoofer is on all the time and most likely contributed to the depleting of my batteries overnight when boondocking recently.

However, as my unit is plugged in when at home in storage, and the converter supplied as original equipment is a single stage unit which subjects the batteries to an over charge situation when left connected to a 50 Amp shore line, I switched out the converter/charger as in this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...-126429-2.html

While this is fairly straight forward, unless one is used to doing some hand craft work, it may be best left to a professional.

Now, I have the batteries under ideal storage conditions and will monitor my voltage aver time, also check the cells in a month or so to make certain the batteries are good.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
A couple things I have learned from my short experience with my new Serenity….. the subwoofer is on all the time and most likely contributed to the depleting of my batteries overnight when boondocking recently.

However, as my unit is plugged in when at home in storage, and the converter supplied as original equipment is a single stage unit which subjects the batteries to an over charge situation when left connected to a 50 Amp shore line, I switched out the converter/charger as in this thread.

While this is fairly straight forward, unless one is used to doing some hand craft work, it may be best left to a professional.

Now, I have the batteries under ideal storage conditions and will monitor my voltage aver time, also check the cells in a month or so to make certain the batteries are good.

Ditto for me

I am not "handy" but found this conversion from parallax555 to the equivalent boondocker unit quite easy so far

It does require a bit of tinkering to make a new mount for the dc fuse board but so far easy - I bought a simple piece of flashing from HD and it will be used

My stock converter used a ton of the water in the batteries - oddly my neighbor with same exact AS and batteries and converter only has head to add a very small amt of water so far - no idea why the difference - they stay plugged into 30amp - I stay plugged into 15amp - they drive a 3/4 ton suburban - me a 3/4 ton diesel ram - perhaps our alternators differ and in transit was a diff??

Either way I'm feeling great about the change - my photos of final install will be on the other thread linked to above

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post

While this is fairly straight forward, unless one is used to doing some hand craft work, it may be best left to a

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Actually, while a 3 stage converter is far better than the single voltage Parallax battery burner, it is still far from 'ideal' charging conditions.

That would attainable from a quality inverter/ charger like a Magnum. These are fully programmable for type of battery (charge voltage profile) the size of a battery bank ( variable absorption times), the amount of amperage being sent into the battery bank and most importantly.......full temperature compensation.

Depending on the ambient temperature of the batteries, they need more charging voltage as the temperatures drop below 77 deg. F and less when the temperature is above 77 deg. F. This feature prevents over/under charging and all of these features combined can be considered as 'ideal' charging conditions.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 10-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Lew - if you are a "weekender" typically, do you have the same risk with the parallax? It seems like the problem is pronounced if you're plugged in to shore power continually. If you pretty much go out 2-3 weekends a month, is that enough to burn the batteries?

And if out for say a week, could you just put the battery switch on store every 3rd day or so?

Just curious - thanks for your thoughts on this.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
Another One (2) Bites The Dust

Twinkiemand,

I just replaced my Interstate batteries yesterday, even though I purchased my 2014 AS in May (2014).

Fortunately, I have an Interstate Battery store locally that determined both batteries had bad cells. There is a barcode on top of the batteries which provided a date code.
Interstate replaced both batteries (with new) and provided a new warranty.
[Tip: take a picture of your battery cable connections before removing them to make the reinstallation go smoother]

Next year I am planning on replacing the converter/ charger as other knowledgable Airstream owners have suggested.

Best of luck
SilverBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Lew - if you are a "weekender" typically, do you have the same risk with the parallax? It seems like the problem is pronounced if you're plugged in to shore power continually. If you pretty much go out 2-3 weekends a month, is that enough to burn the batteries?

And if out for say a week, could you just put the battery switch on store every 3rd day or so?

Just curious - thanks for your thoughts on this.
The problem with the Parallax is two-fold: it doesn't properly charge a battery, nor will it let the battery float when full........

• Batteries like 3 distinct charge stages..........
*BULK The voltage rises with the charge current to the maximun set point for voltage and the maximum output of the charging unit. Most batteries like a bulk charging voltage of from 14.2-14.6VDC, depending on the construction and manufacturer specifications. The Parallax' output is a continual 13.6.....never reaching the minimum 14.2 that batteries require so they never approach a proper charge.
*ABSORPTION also known as a taper charge. The voltage remains constant at the Bulk value, but as the battery begins to fill with charge, the amperage starts to decrease from the maximum seen in the bulk phase, or 'tapers'. Again, the Parallax unit does not do this either.
*FLOAT This is the finishing stage where the voltage drops to the float set point required by the battery manufacturer, usually 13.2-13.6VDC. The amperage also decreases significantly, often approaching zero when the battery is full....now properly charged. Parallax, with it's constant voltage of 13.6VDC, never allow a battery to float. This is when the boiling, loss of electrolyte and gassing occurs.

CONCLUSION: DUMP THE BATTERY BURNER AND BE GOOD TO YOUR BATTERIES. THEY WILL REWARD YOU WITH MANY YEARS OF EXTENDED SERVICE.....depending of course on how you treat them with respect to depth of discharge.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
You need good batteries as large as you can fit( the standard ones are undersized cheapo's).Lifeline is the battery of choice(($475 a pair).You need to get a new converter ($220) as the one that came in your Airstream is substandard and will cook your batteries as you drive.Once you have replaced these things mentioned life will be good.Airstream builds upper scale trailers but uses some bottom end pieces also.Then you will want new Maxum skylights,quieter water pump,Michelin 16's and a new mattress etc.......But this will be a good start
Listen to Lew !
MoFlash- What water pump are you using? Thx.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote