Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Reading the latest posts this morning reminds me of the line from the old Alanis Morrissette song, Ironic -, “advice I didn’t take.” CW gave us an appointment when they really didn’t have a slot, which we appreciated.

After about 2 hours, my Service Advisor came up for me. He told me my convertor was intermittent, but they would have to order the part. Continued with, “I have had news.” Imagining the convertor might have damaged other electrical components, I arrived at our unit to see the evidence of their porter having backed a motorhome into the front street side, damaging both rock shields. I was assured they had looked behind the panels with a light and confirmed no damage, but insisted we pull them back. A large crease in the front curved panel was obvious.

They couldn’t have been more apologetic or accommodating, accepting responsibility for the repair. Yes, we are taking the convertor and the repair to JC. It’ll extend our trip several days but the unit is usable and we are confident will be repaired to like new. So I really can’t help with a report on CW’s service department.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ugh!

Glad the damage was not worse.

So sorry for your troubles!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:50 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndews View Post
So I really can’t help with a report on CW’s service department.
Actually, you just did.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #24

1973 31' Sovereign
broken arrow , Oklahoma
I am looking for an owners manual for my 1973 soverian trailer.
anybody got a copy they can spare?
hdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! If you look at the Sovereign forum, and the sub-forum for 1970 to 1973:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f27/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f186/

. . . you will see some recent posts about locating a manual.

So that we don't hijack this thread, you could reply to one of the posts in the Sovereign forums about locating a manual. You will see some posts about how to find one at airstream.com.

For instance: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f210...al-134259.html

Also, the new search function above in the blue box works great, so enter "Sovereign manual" and there will be a few posts to check out.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Bob I have a 2009 Classic and after one battery exploded I changed out the AS single stage converter to a multi stage converter I check battery’s ever three months before the change out I was adding water each time now very rare do I add water.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Bob I have a 2009 Classic and after one battery exploded I changed out the AS single stage converter to a multi stage converter I check battery’s ever three months before the change out I was adding water each time now very rare do I add water.
Hi

In a "cell short" failure, the initial water level may have very little to do with what happens. You can keep the cells topped off and still short out a cell. Once the cell shorts, it's a good bet that you will dry out the battery.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Surrey , BC
I have an interesting situation (2016 25' flying cloud, 2 6V in series):
Batteries have been dying from using "store" mode, recently upgraded to 4 stage converter (4655VL PD 4655VL 55 Amp Converter Upgrade), checked voltages at battery were good when battery disconnected. Batteries charge fine on separate battery charger but did not charge in "use" mode when plugged in for a month or while camping.

Our Battery voltage sensor in cabin have always been off by at least a volt compared to multi-meter at battery terminals suggesting some sort of bad wiring to have a 10% voltage drop. With batteries connected battery terminals read battery voltages not converter voltages, even though voltage measured at converter in the interior is correct according specification (eg. 14.4V but at battery)

Our use/store switch was acting funny and seemed like it was not engaging/disengaging properly, I am thinking that there is something funky going on with the wiring/switch itself. Not sure where to start, we've been through about 4 sets of batteries. The next thing I will be adding a mechanical battery disconnect in the battery compartment, but if I can't get the batteries to charge on AC then I don't know what the F's going on.
Michael_TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_TW View Post
I have an interesting situation (2016 25' flying cloud, 2 6V in series):
Batteries have been dying from using "store" mode, recently upgraded to 4 stage converter (4655VL PD 4655VL 55 Amp Converter Upgrade), checked voltages at battery were good when battery disconnected. Batteries charge fine on separate battery charger but did not charge in "use" mode when plugged in for a month or while camping.

Our Battery voltage sensor in cabin have always been off by at least a volt compared to multi-meter at battery terminals suggesting some sort of bad wiring to have a 10% voltage drop. With batteries connected battery terminals read battery voltages not converter voltages, even though voltage measured at converter in the interior is correct according specification (eg. 14.4V but at battery)

Our use/store switch was acting funny and seemed like it was not engaging/disengaging properly, I am thinking that there is something funky going on with the wiring/switch itself. Not sure where to start, we've been through about 4 sets of batteries. The next thing I will be adding a mechanical battery disconnect in the battery compartment, but if I can't get the batteries to charge on AC then I don't know what the F's going on.
Hi

Since this is a trailer that's been around for a while, I'm going to assume that the batteries did charge fine at one time. If this is a "new to you" trailer and you don't *know* that they charged ok in the past, there are wiring goof's on the use/store board that could explain what's happening.

First thing to check is if the converter / charger is working or not. They do indeed die / the fuses blow / breakers trip. Your multimeter on the output of the converter should tell you if it is functional. Cycle the AC power and see if the DC output goes up when the AC is on.

Next step is to go from there, following the wiring shown in the owners manual, and see what is going on. The converter should go to the use/ store board. There should be a cable from there to the DC bus in the front of the trailer (with thermal breakers on it). There then is a cable from the DC bus to the battery. Ground follows along with hot over the same route.

As you go along you check both the hot and the ground. Voltage on the hot should be close to what you see at the converter. Ground voltage to a point on the frame (not always easy to get to) should be near zero. In both cases a tenth of a volt is no big deal. A volt is something to dig into.

Lots of fun.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote