Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
RMPeters

1969 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Bathroom Paint??

Hello All,

my wife and I are continually upgrading our "4th Child" with new and better things. Our baby was born in '69 afterall, so some things will need replacing. One of the things we are looking at is our bathroom, weathered and worn out looking. This is not going to be a "showpiece" trailer and so we were wondering about painting it with a good paint that bonds to plastic. Has anyone done this already and can point out good/bad things that come out of this? Any other ideas?

Regards,

Csorba (aka Rob)
robertpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Hi Rob, I just did it to our 69 31'. There are a few options, I used TUBBY paint (my favorite) at $75.00 a qt can it will do your tub and sink. I had to get a second can for the front of the tub panel, the surround behind the toilet (2 pieces). Then I forgot the medicine cabinet, its door, the trim on the door of the white linen cabinet next to the toilet. Lowe's has Tub & Tile in spray and or paint can. I got the paint qt can at $29.00. I discovered I forgot the ceiling plastic I ended up buying the spray at $39.00 (comes with two spray cans). So I have about $200 plus in my paint job. LOOKS BEAUTIFUL
Our bathroom was gutted as we replaced the floor, put in new plumbing got rid of the old copper plumbing and put in Red, White & Blue pex and added a small gray tank in the closet for the Kitchen sink. We are hoping to get it all put back together this weekend it will be a glorious day for us to get those thousand rivets put back in.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
oakland , California
Hello,
I am new to the airstream world, just bought a 1975 Argosy and I have been restoring it myself. I made a mistake and rushed through painting the plastic(?) shower base and bathroom sink with spray (pretty, but stupid rushed decision). I can see this already coming off when even the lightest objects strike it.

I just want to make sure that before I strip and repaint, that I do it right this time. This TUBBY that you suggested, will it work on plastic? Is the tub in an airstream radically different than Argosy? My Argosy only has a small shower floor, no tub. I don't know what it is made out of exactly.

Any words of wisdom woud\ld be apreciated.
thoreaulycra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
painting interior

Painting the interior gel coated parts or the interior walls, is a simple process.

BUT, you must first clean the surface, so that it is grease and/or oil free.

Don't be fooled by the appearance, as some form of an oil film is there.

Next, sand with 120 to 150 grit sandpaper. NOT SCUFF, BUT SAND.

Then apply a good to best primer. Let it out gas and age for a few days.

Then and only then can paint be apply that will stay.

Caution. The use of any "CHEAP" paints, will lead to early failures.

Using top quality paints will last many many years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #5

1975 Argosy 24
oakland , California
RE Painting

Hello Andy,
THank you for your response. I did successfully paint the interior walls.

I am referring specificaly to the bathroom sink and shower floor. They appear to be some sort of plastic and not vinyl like the walls. What is the best way to paint this?

Thanks again,
thoreaulycra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreaulycra View Post
Hello Andy,
THank you for your response. I did successfully paint the interior walls.

I am referring specificaly to the bathroom sink and shower floor. They appear to be some sort of plastic and not vinyl like the walls. What is the best way to paint this?

Thanks again,
Those parts are plastic.

Use the method that I described above in post # 4.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
paint for bathtub & bathroom counter top ?

old thread here, but looking for suggestions. My bathroom is intact inside the trailer, no intention of removing and when I do it'll be for a remodel!
Plastics had turned that nasty orangy faded color. I've tried using cans of spray, very difficult, so looking for a paint suggestion, is there such a thing as enamel paint or something that will resemble a shiny plastic surface? that goes on without streaks ?
I'll take Andy's advice and really sand down first, apply a suitable primer ...

any further thoughts , much appreciated
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
this stuff sounds good ..?

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-805.htm
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote