Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #1
ThB
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Gresham , Oregon
Basecamp 20X Window Replacement & Warrantee Issues

In September, 2020 we ordered a Basecamp 20X. It was delivered to the dealer August 4th of 2021. We knew that there was a backlog, and weren't totally surprised that it took that long. But it was delivered with several items that needed to be fixed - bent rock guards (from the factory), broken cupboard doors (plastic ones damaged in transit?), and an improperly installed window on the road side. This is the window toward the back of the trailer that pops open a couple inches. The window was installed so that it closes within 1/32" from the frame. The dealer noticed it and told they were concerned about the window hitting the frame and breaking or leaking. By the time that we showed up to take delivery, the dealer had already received an okay for all the warrantee work. (They ordered a completely new window and frame).

We paid for the trailer and left it there to be repaired - even though we knew it might take about a month. Six weeks later (end of September) all the new parts had arrived, but the window arrived broken. The end of October the second replacement window arrived - broken. The end of November (last week), the 3rd replacement window didn't even make it to the dealer. UPS sent it back to Jackson Center - broken. This week it will be 4 months since the trailer arrived at the dealer.

The dealer has been very good to us - mostly keeping us informed and always responding to e-mails and phone calls. They've ordered the new windows and talked with Jackson Center. But I also started calling Airstream Customer Service myself - not because of something the dealer did wrong, but to try to speed up the process of replacing the broken windows. (Note: calling Airstream always requires at least a 45 minute wait on the phone.) The agents I talked with were nice, and always said they would get a window out right away. But it has taken at least a month each time and they've all arrived broken. I must say the last agent I've been dealing with got the window from Ohio to within 100 miles of the dealership in a week. So I commend her for that. She's made the process faster.

In the short time that we've owned the trailer, I've learned a couple things:
1. We shouldn't be trailer owners yet. We should have waited to complete the deal until the trailer was completely fixed. Our dealer seems to have done everything they could do to fix it, but there are too many other unknowns in the process. I don't know if this would have sped up the process, but at least we wouldn't be making loan payments yet on a trailer we don't even have.
2. The parts department seems to be sending out windows the same way, expecting different results from the delivery companies. I asked the agent after the first window broke, if they could put it in a crate rather than a cardboard box, and send it by air to speed up the shipping. He told me that they couldn't do either.
3. We're disappointed with the Customer Service. This is our first RV and we decided to buy an Airstream because they have a quality product and a commitment to their customers. We're hoping that our traveling experience with our Basecamp (once we get it) will be better than the first 4 months of ownership.

Thayne
ThB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I am not sure I am following along with your question but it sounds like a dealer issue? Have you tried escalating it up to a higher position within the dealer?

You shouldn’t have to call airstream directly. The one time I had to get a mirror replaced, it came packaged appropriately (on a single pallet standing upright and strapped down correctly enough to receive in tact).

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Thayne,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.