Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Back-up Camera Antenna

Hello, we have a 2017 23FB and when I left on our trip this week my back-up camera worked for the first hour then lost connection.

I wiggled the 7 pin plug, tried to turn off/on and paired a few times without success. I checked the camera in back of the AS and the antenna was screwed tightly into the unit but the antenna itself spun around freely right above the connector.

I'm not sure if it is designed to do this or if it is broken. Please let me know.

Can someone also let me know and has anyone purchased a new antenna which fixed the communication between devices?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Wayne
Astw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The antenna should not spin as you describe and I, as you do, suspect it is the problem.

I would guess the issue is the connector is not wedging the antenna post into the pot thus allowing the entire antenna to spin. I would remove the antenna and see if the inner metal post spins freely. If it does not, then I would work on the fitting till it fits tight.

If the internals of the antenna seem broken, you could use a short stiff wire temporarily to test this theory, just bring the receiver close to the camera since your short wire will not have the same impedance as the designed antenna. I don't guarantee this will work and confirm the antenna is the issue, but if you like I will test it and report back. You could also carefully remove the protective outer film and reconnect the conductive inner as a test also.

I broke my antenna and then repaired it carefully this way. I soldered the break and used heat shrink tubing of multiple sizes to reconstruct the outer skin.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The antenna most likely has a RP-SMA male connector.
You can buy replacements on Amazon for under $10.
Unscrew the existing one, and try another (made for wi-fi 2.4 ghz.)
Right now getting the length perfect is less important than testing the antenna.
The antenna should have a center pin.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The antenna most likely has a RP-SMA male connector.
You can buy replacements on Amazon for under $10.
Unscrew the existing one, and try another (made for wi-fi 2.4 ghz.)
Right now getting the length perfect is less important than testing the antenna.
The antenna should have a center pin.
^This. Lots of antennas on Amazon. Pick one.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yeah good idea, I'm going to order a new on to replace the hack repair I did.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote