Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

B190 opinions please

My husband and I are looking at a B190 (Well, honestly, it's more me than him). It would really be for our adult children to use to come camping with us or to use on their own on weekends, vacations, traveling to see other states/areas etc. Maybe 10+ outings a year but probably less than 10K miles per year. We don't want to spend a lot of money and found this one on ebay which looks as if it is still in good condition: Airstream 190 Class B Van LOW Miles Maintained & CLEAN | eBay

Does it make sense to buy one this old? What should we be thinking of that might be important in making our decision? Feel free to pm me if you need more info.

Karen
2008 FB Ocean Breeze
Husband Brad (nilesrob)
Lucy and Rosie
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Don't know how this compares with an Interstate, or if it just precedes the Interstate...
Attached Images

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would not be too concerned about the age. The biggest risk is buying anything sight unseen on the internet, and not knowing what kind of care it has had. I do think this is a bit safer than just buying a car though.

My biggest question is what do your kids think of this?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia

Thanks Dan. They think it's a great idea but well have to see how much use it gets. I'm a little concerned too buying without seeing but this buyer has good feedback.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Karen

I have looked at the ebay listing. This looks like a decent B190. It looks like it is being sold by a used car dealer, so definitely buyer beware. He probably bought it at auction, has cleaned it up some, put new stripes on it and is ready to sell it to make some money. Nothing wrong with that.

Here are my thoughts. I would try to find out the previous owner so you could chat with him. My position on buying anything used is always to buy something that has been well cared for and has served the previous owner well. That is more important than how much you are paying for the item.

I would ask the owner how old the tires are. There should be a date stamp somewhere on the sidewall. Regardless of the tread, it will need new tires if they are more than 5 years old. The owner should know about this since he is a dealer.

He says he has tested everything. Period. He did not say if everything works (sorry, but I am an engineer and a home inspector). Did he test the fridge on electric and gas? If he has not done much rving he may not know how to test everything and all the systems. I would want assurance from him, that if you were the high bidder that you (or your representative) could test all systems and that they would work properly or he would pay for repairs needed.

I see nothing that would stop me from pursuing this further. Hope that this helps. You can always call me at 434-401-4060. I will help all I can.

Dan
Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Karen

I lived in Cumming for a while, just east of you..

A couple of thoughts for you on the B-190.

First of all, B-190s are not rare and if you want one you should be able to find one in the southeast somewhere if you take your time. That would avoid the costs and risks inherent in a dealing with a seller 2000 miles away.

There is a B-190 web site - B190 Enthusiasts • Portal - with its own forums which may answer many of your questions.

Although I am not a B-190 expert, as with any older motor home especially one on a van chassis, the condition of the running gear (the underlying van with the engine, transmission, steering, brakes, etc) is a major concern. If cared for, the interior and the body on these will last long enough for the engine, transmission, and other chassis components to require overhaul or replacement.

Finally, B-190s are small and entail a unique set of compromises. They are ideal for couples who value mobility and ability to park almost anywhere above space and creature comforts.

Best wishes for your search.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Karen,

We can't really advise you on buying something older, but can tell you that B-Vans ROCK!

We agree with a previous poster who advised that you look for one that is used and loved and well cared for. They are out there, we have seen them.

Certainly, take your time with one and check everything carefully so you know exactly what works and what does not. Don't buy anything sight unseen, in our opinion.

Carolina Coach & Camper in Claremont, NC, has lots of Class B's, and these are fine folks. Might pay them a visit.

Aside from camping, B-Vans are just ever-so-handy for trekking around! Frig and cooking area present, plus the very important potty.

We love and cherish ours, have I said that?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Doug & Maggie
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia

Thank-you so much everyone for your responses. They were very helpful! I think I will wait to find one closer to home so we can actually see it (and maybe have it inspected before buying). I tossed and turned last night thinking this over but I feel much better now. Sage advice from you all!

Maggie, I will look into Carolina Coach and Camper - so nice to have a name of someone trustworthy. Jammer - that website sounds great - I suspect I'll enjoy the 'bull" part of it also Dan, you really helped me pay more attention to what I should be looking for rather than getting caught up and led by the excitement. I'll let you all know if we find/buy one!

Karen
husband Brad (nilesrob)
17Ft FB Ocean Breeze
Lucy and Rosie
Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Karen

I am glad you decided to hold off on the Vegas B190 van.

Excellent advice from Jammer and Maggie. So easy to buy, but you want to buy the right one. You want to always be able to make an informed decision.

Dan
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I agree with pretty much everything said above. At some point, age becomes much less important than condition. Keep in mind you're buying a 20 year old vehicle and a 20 year old camper all in one, so the usual problems that apply to both will apply here, too. I don't mean to dissuade you, but it's also much less expensive than a new motorhome for a reason.

For the miles, keep in mind that non-use may actually be worse on them than use. Rubber is more likely to dry out from non-use, for example. Low hours on the generator may mean it wasn't exercised regularly as specified in the manual, so it may not run "like new" despite having few hours on it. Of course there's an upper end of use where things start to wear out, too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote