Old 12-03-2016, 04:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Granite bay , California
Axle replacement

Owner of a 1962, 22' safari single axle. I'm looking to replace the axle and brake system and would like to ask around to confirm what I'm doing.

I hope I'm in the correct location of the forum, only my second try at posting a question. If not I apologize now for my inexperience.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I've been looking at the Dexter Torflex Axle from Airstreamsupply.com. Has anyone replaced the axle and upgraded the drum brakes on a vintage airstream?

Thanks for any help

Culcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We have a Dexter Torflex on our 66 Safari and really like it. Raises the unit 2 or 3 inches which is a good thing. We have one on order for our 55 Flying Cloud but hasn't arrived yet. They are 22.5 degrees down. When ordering, make sure everyone is on the same page concerning dimensions. Dexter has a decent site with diagrams. Good luck

Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Culcha,

You may want to track down Colin Hyde from NY state. He's very experienced and knowledgable and can help you spec the correct (best upgraded) axle for your '62. If you order through him, he can arrange shipping to a commercial address near you. I'm pretty sure you can search on the forums and get his number. If that doesn't work, just PM me and I'll get it for you.
The two he spec'd and ordered for us fit perfectly, although I know that isn't always going to be the case.

Enjoy the project,
Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Dana Point , California
+1 for Colin Hyde.

Colin is the Man. I just replaced my axles on my argosy.

https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde...ions.com/home/
Peter Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Granite bay , California
Thank you, I'll definitely find him and go that route. really appreciate the help to keep the challenges away during my restoration process.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Granite bay , California
Thanks Peter for the link. I'll try and find him.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
When I replaced my axle I left the down angle at 22.5* because I thought it the correct thing to do. The original axle had lost it's torque, so when I had the new one installed it did indeed raise the height of the trailer slightly, maybe an inch. However, having lived with the trailer for about 3 seasons now, I wish I had raised it another inch or two. Some curb cuts when exiting gas stations are more severe than others, and I've lost 2 waste pipe caps at embarrassingly inappropriate moments. Fortunately no major damage but boy am I cautious.
I don't see a downside to raising the trailer by an inch or two from the original. If you order the axle at the original 22.5* down angle you'll theoretically end up with the trailer at the original factory height, which at least for my trailer, was lower than I'd like now.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Dana Point , California
I went with the 33 degree down angle I am glad I did.
Peter Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Granite bay , California
Thanks for including the remark about height. I definitely would like to go with a higher stance rather than original or what I have now. Even when I pull out of my driveway, I need to slowly drive out because the rear end is dragging when I entering the roadway. Even going through that I guess I wouldn't have thought of asking if I could get it with a longer drop. So with that said, thank you for the suggestion and I will definitely ask about having a higher stance when I order the axle.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Granite bay , California
Thanks Peter, I sent an email over to Colin. I will inquire about the 33 degree down angle too. If I don't hear from him I'll definitely give him a call this week. Just want to thank you again for offering suggestions and the link.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Granite bay , California
Thanks Roy! I sent an email to Colin. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Dude

1972 21' Globetrotter
1987 34' Excella
yep, still on the road , On The Road
Good luck. I have replaced four axels now. One on my 72 globetrotter by myself. A rolling floor jack, firm surface, creeper make it possible. I do remember wanting another set of hands. On my 34 excella triple axel, I hired two young men with minimal skills off craigslist. Two rolling jacks, three creepers. First axel, 90 minutes, third, 45. With wiring the new brakes,( I got the complete axel sets) the project took four hours or so. I did not get my hands dirty. Ok, maybe a little. It can be a diy project. Just be prepared.
airjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Culcha,

You're most welcome. You should recognize Colin is a pretty busy guy and it's the holiday season, so be persistent and reasonably patient.

I'm sure you've read many posts and suggestions about replacing axles by now. I agree with airjeff, it is a reasonable do it yourself project, especially with an extra set of hands. I'd add that you should ensure the trailer is supported safely with jack stands, blocks, or shoring blocks. If a single axle trailer comes down on you after the original axle is removed it'll leave a mess. I'd also consider adding a couple of contingency tools before you start. A 4 inch grinder with a cutoff wheel or a torch for removing the frame to axle bolts if they gall or for enlarging the slots, if needed. (I used my electric impact and the nuts spun off easily and the axles fit perfectly in the slots.) A small sledge hammer to encourage the original axle to drop from the frame slots (sometimes they stick due to rust etc.) A set of reamers or reasonably good drill bits to adjust the frame holes (just in case.) We didn't need any of these on the '68 twin axle trailer, but needed all of them with the '64 single axle trailer. Fortunately, I was the extra set of hands on the '64. Shacksman did the replacement and took way less than half the time I spent on the '68, even with stuck bolts and enlarging the slots.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Granite bay , California
Well I finally completed the order with Colin. What a great guy to work with. Turns out my 1962 has a 1961 setup. Not good news because I have to cut the exciting axle off and create a fabricated plate on either side of the airstream's frame to hold the new axle. When someone like Colin says, I haven't seen that setup on a safari makes your stomach drop a foot. He gave me suggestions and a schematic of the fabricated plate. Anyways just wanted to share with you all the latest.