Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2021, 06:07 PM   #1

2018 22' Sport
Humble , Texas
Axle creasing the flooring

Does anyone have an opinion. 22ft Sport was in an accident involving only the tow vehicle. It jackknifed on ice. Hit one side of the truck then the other. It then went backward down an embankment where it came to a very sudden stop at the bottom. The AS pulled the truck down the embankment backwards. Fast forward several months waiting for an appointment for repair. I have a crease or lump directly above my axle (single) on my internal floor, on the undercarriage there is a correlated dent in the metal plate above the axle. In a direct line above my axle internally nothing now aligns. Ie doors, base plinth even the shelf is sitting at an angle where things would simply just slide off. Everything above the axle internally in a direct line is off considerably. The factory say this has nothing to do with the axle and frame has not is not changed position. So if there has been no movement did the clasps on the doors just move position, did the table (side bed table) just change direction practicing for an audition for Ripley’s Believe it or not? I joke but it would fit in nicely. The plate that holds the gas tanks looks like an upside down u instead of - being flat to hold 2 tanks. If I tried to sit 2 tanks on without the casing they would simply fall off. Imagine trying to fit a 2 gas bottles on a base shaped like a wheel arch. Any input of feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13B9348D-8A3F-48EB-A08A-FDB22BC9DB4E.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	401433   Click image for larger version

Name:	1AC3F0A6-A74C-49FB-B335-AA21D17BBC08.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	401434  

Click image for larger version

Name:	184813AD-8D4D-43E4-A8F6-A63726446B86.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	667.0 KB
ID:	401435   Click image for larger version

Name:	70B1F011-21C3-4E7A-9450-39ECF1CB62C2.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	657.1 KB
ID:	401436  

Timtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
There is too little information in your post to make a judgement about the extent of damage and the pictures show a problem but not the cause. Airstream axles do have bow in them so that isn't unusual. I think a knowledgeable inspector would have to have a hands on inspection to make a judgement. If the coach has been inspected at the Airstream facility in Jackson Center, Ohio and they say the frame and axles are OK then I'd believe them. They have a good reputation for repairs and few other facilities have their knowledge and experience. Many items inside the coach could have moved and been damaged during the incident. Damaged items can be repaired or replaced. Best of luck with it.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:37 PM   #3

2018 22' Sport
Humble , Texas
Thanks for your response.. my point was not about the axle being bent, I experienced that when I drove it out of the dealership new with a twisted axle. My point was that the axle was impacted in such a way that the actual imprint of the axle bent the undercarriage and then left my internal floor no longer flat but with a corresponding hump. Furthermore everything above the axle the width of the AS no longer aligns. There was no evidence of any other internal damage due to items moving around given the sink lids were put puttied down. Only other thing inside was 2 pillows and a comforter. I was the first trip of the year, just came out of storage and had been previously winterized and emptied. Everything was in the back of the f150 back seats (groceries just purchased and suitcase. There were snowboards in the back of the truck which has a hard shell cover. The Airstream was empty. A little water in the tank just for a toilet break. Black tank empty. We hadn’t got to our first campsite to unpack prior to the accident.
Timtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sounds like during the accident, your trailer took a smack to each side, and then potentially got compressed axially. With all that knocking around, I would be surprised if the frame didn't get tweaked out of shape. Sure, something could have happened to drive the axle tube upwards against the floor, possibly when the trailer went over the shoulder of the road... At any rate, I suspect you will have an extensive and invasive repair on your hands, I can hardly believe all would be corrected with just a new axle.

Do you have any additional pictures of the whole trailer, both sides, post accident?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
You ask if all these changes could occur without damage to the frame and I would say yes, absolutely. People have cabinets fall off walls just from hitting pot holes and tables get out of whack from washboard roads or even regular use. So a jarring accident like yours could easily have caused everything you described when the frame flexed but did not permanently bend.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
I hope you have full insurance, as you should request a total settlement on this type of accident. That much flexing will not leave the frame straight. And the trailer backing down an embankment and stopping suddenly (when the rear axle dug into the bottom of hill) with the weight of your truck sandwiching it from above can't be good. The line on the internal floor sounds like the trailer backing down the slope hit and slammed the axle up into the floor...but that could only happen if the frame bent up at either end to allow that compression. What is the condition of the trailer outer roof shell above that spot?
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Based on your description of how the axle caused damage, I'd say your frame and monocoque structure is structurally damaged. Probably totaled. Get a professional opinion from someone who specializes in ASs.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Your accident certainly involved both your truck and your Airstream.

I would tow your Airstream to the factory for their assessment and repair. Good luck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote