Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Steve,

Most of the folks commenting on your slide out fantasy probably aren't aware of your impressive credentials as a designer/fabricator. I have no doubt that you could pull this off.

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Anyone ever added a slideout to an Airstream?

I suppose I should have looked at the OPs profile before answering but I didn't. If I had I would have saved my breath, I didn't say anything that was not already known.

Being aware of a persons capabilities and experience makes a difference in any recommendation, especially as it relates to seeing a difficult job to completion.

Fwiw... I have no problem with cutting up a mass produced trailer.

My responses prior were written as if I was responding to a DIY guy starting out on a road that is going to be more difficult than a person might think.

Anyone who has been around projects knows well that our nation is littered with ambitious projects that don't get ever finished.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Woodland RV in Grand Rapids, Michigan told me they could, and would do it. The are one of few AS dealers who can take delivery on AS shell to customize....
I promise you if they do it, the final product will appear that it came from the factory, and the price will reflect that!

I've had them do maintenece on ours, and never had a reason to complain..

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Keyair, Anything is possible! I am very hopeful that you can do this. As an ex-Aircraft maintainer and CV-22 program test team member, I would suggest doing as much on paper as possible --getting extremely detailed and answering tough questions -- before breaking skin, though. You have the right inclination, asking around, so I have faith that your final product will be one for the books. I hope you keep up on the forum so we can all share your thoughts and learn from the decisions you make!
MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thanks for the support... Not going to hack into this unless I am sure I can do it right.
I have sketched it, measured it, drawn in to scale. Figured out the slides, framework and sealing. I think it can be done.
My only concern is am I up to it... And right now, that's a no.
Costa Rica called, and I said yes... Will be back at the weekend, so will begin to look again...
Pura Vida!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
From what I understand the reason they stopped building slides is a combination of factors. Sales volume never became that high so on the occasion that they did sell one it took considerably longer to build which slowed the entire line down. With the lost production of other models figured in it was costing more to build each one than they were selling it for.

With the plant expansion I would think we would see one again sometime but I would not expect it soon.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote