Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
any crazy airstreamers in Santa Cruz CA?

Hey, not sure where to post this, please move as appropriate, just wondering if there is anyone local to me who could look over my baby (31' 1972 Sov) and give me some pointers for sealing her up.
she leaks for sure around some window frames and rear compartment needs some serious sealing up.
I can bribe you with really good wine or if you're a professional restorer can obviously pay the going rate for a consultation. I want to do the work myself but would love it if someone could show the best techniques / materials to save any potential learning mistakes, don't have the time for that!

thanks
nick
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

you're not giving us enough info

Are you looking for regular run of the mill crazy?

Or like…..Life of the party type crazy?

Just a little weird crazy?

Full on Bat Shirt Crazy?

Or Schizoforumatic Aluminitis Maximus ( which is what I would recommend )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Welcome…sorry for not answering your question

I'm three thousand miles away. Just bumping your thread to give it a chance.
I use a different " caulk " than you would use, as I have a white Argosy

But here's the skinny…DON'T USE SILICONE. Aluminum hates it

Folks here on the forum will most likely be able to talk you through it. Taking the old stuff off, if you need to, can be a pain. I wouldn't do it in direct sun, hot or cold day. I found it very easy to do. Put on a tiny bit more than you need, wipe off, without leaving a valley for water to pool up. I am not the best person to ask!!!!

In the mean time do a search ( Not the forum search as it is a PITA )

Do a google search and include" Air Forums " in your search

Inland RV, in Corona, California (951) 734-8130 is a GREAT source for Airstream parts and such. I'm like 99% sure that he can supply you with the stuff you need for sealing
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Well I'm not in Santa Cruz but crazy is my middle name. I live in Modesto but have friends in Santa Cruz and have been looking for a good reason to visit.
read this link I think it is the best one out there concerning sealants.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ry-116214.html
You can private message me with questions, I'll give you my digits.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

1979 31' Sovereign
aptos , California
hi-
i hope this is not repetitive as i just joined this site. i am in aptos. just purchased a '79 31'. would love to connect and share resources, etc.
also, my purchase partner informs me that our manual details window removal/sealing, if you don't have...
please message me with your 411 if you'd like to share our AS issues!
kelly
kellybd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

1979 31' Sovereign
aptos , California
batman-
i too am in SC county. however, i'm from modesto! ouch. anyway, would love to be able to ask questions, etc., as i am the new owner of a '79 31' and it is in need of...everything.
thanks.
kelly
kellybd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybd View Post
hi-
i hope this is not repetitive as i just joined this site. i am in aptos. just purchased a '79 31'. would love to connect and share resources, etc.
also, my purchase partner informs me that our manual details window removal/sealing, if you don't have...
please message me with your 411 if you'd like to share our AS issues!
kelly
hey Kelly, would be glad to meet up & maybe start a santa cruz airstream group!
i've got a load of work to do, #1 is sealing, then trouble shooting some electrical, followed by water heater and trim / lighting upgrades etc I also need new curtains but am loathed to spend $1000 for professional made , so have a sewing machine on order to try myself !
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
So funny. My 1964 Safari was made in Santa Fe Springs, CA and first sold in Santa Cruz,CA. from "Santa Cruz Trailer Sales". She "Ethel" spent her whole life in the area of Ben Lomond and Aptos. I purchased her from the second owner in San Jose, CA. in 2010.

-Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	246174  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
hey Kelly, would be glad to meet up & maybe start a santa cruz airstream group!
i've got a load of work to do, #1 is sealing, then trouble shooting some electrical, followed by water heater and trim / lighting upgrades etc I also need new curtains but am loathed to spend $1000 for professional made , so have a sewing machine on order to try myself !
Check with your local fabric shops - many of them offer sewing classes and usually it's $25 to $100 per class (they make the money because you buy fabric and supplies from them). Anyone can make curtains, but with just a small amount of coaching, they'll actually look pretty darn professional. You might want to progress beyond basic sewing techniques and curtain sewing to upholstery, which few people can learn from reading a book, though I've seen a couple of very good DVD's on. I still like live classes.

And for the men here on the forum, once again I remind you:

A Sewing Machine IS a Power Tool!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

And for the men here on the forum, once again I remind you:

A Sewing Machine IS a Power Tool!
I picked up an Elna Lotus at an estate auction and I made quilted mattress covers for my Excella - including the rounded corners for the twin beds. I also made fitted sheets for these beds. The Elna Lotus is a very small sewing machine and it has a permanent place in my AS.

As for the pleated curtains in my AS, I'm trying to get a handle on whether it is cost-effective for me to make them. The cost of fabric, lining, stiffening for top and bottom (for making the pleats) as well as the nylon slides, ribbon & elastic comes quite close to actually having them made by one of the advertisers for AS curtains. If I also factor in the frustration of making a mistake (which Murphy's Law will ensure I do), the decision will tilt to having them made professionally.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I picked up an Elna Lotus at an estate auction and I made quilted mattress covers for my Excella - including the rounded corners for the twin beds. I also made fitted sheets for these beds. The Elna Lotus is a very small sewing machine and it has a permanent place in my AS.

As for the pleated curtains in my AS, I'm trying to get a handle on whether it is cost-effective for me to make them. The cost of fabric, lining, stiffening for top and bottom (for making the pleats) as well as the nylon slides, ribbon & elastic comes quite close to actually having them made by one of the advertisers for AS curtains. If I also factor in the frustration of making a mistake (which Murphy's Law will ensure I do), the decision will tilt to having them made professionally.
I note you have an older Airstream which did use the pleated curtains. Finding the top and bottom hooks for the curtains will also be a challenge. Even with the internet, I surrendered and bought mine from JC (for too much $). Generally you need 3 to 4 times the width in fabric to make a pleated curtain. Lotsa fabric, big cost. Look at the Serenity and Signature curtains on the internationals. Much more simplified, but look cheap, too. AND just to make matters worse the wrap around windows don't get a rectangular curtain... It's trapezoidal, wider at the bottom than the top.

So first question is How persnickety are you? And how original? There is one good idea here for making a replacement for the folding doors that give you "privacy" in the bath area which could be adapted to curtains. This link - see post #5

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ors-47944.html

You'd have to be brave/crazy to use plaid, because everything has to be done perfectly or it'll look like zhit... easier if your machine has a walking foot. This idea gives you pretty close to perfect "room darkening" - but on the wrap around windows you'll have to cut slats on the diagonal - or leave them out on the lower ends where they snap in to the wall.

You can also make a curtain that is two layers - gathered on the inside where you see it - and then lined with a piece of material that both lines and darkens the room. (Gathering is less of a PITA than pleats, and looks better with a fabric that is solid color and has minimal texture)
Make a "test pattern curtain" with an old sheet or some super cheap "closeout $1 per yard" stuff you find at the clearance bin - use the same stuff for the liner - it's just to get the look/fit YOU want. Don't bother stiffening the edges or put on the curtain carriers on your test.

One thing to watch out for no matter what style of curtain you choose - get the sew in curtain carriers properly placed. You want the elastic a little stretched, but not obviously straining the fabric.

The lining is cut to fit the window - plus 2 inches top and bottom or for seams and 1 inch to spare on each end. The top and bottom of the liner are folded over and stiffening is sewed into the lining in sort of a pocket. (you can use Iron-On stiffening material if you want. Fold the side seams in and press them. Sew the curtain carriers to the stiffened liner 3 to 4 inches apart (OR you can sew the carriers on last through all layers. ZigZag them.)

The curtain fabric needs to be cut slightly bigger than the lining - at least 1 inch, to allow 1/2 inch to extend beyond the lining and cover the rods on the top and bottom, and the side seams. Width should be at least 2 times the length of the windor, to 3 times if the fabric is thin/sheer. How "gathered" you want it to look. Fold it 1 1/4 inch top and bottom and machine gather (sew two lines of stitching 3/8 of an inch apart*** LONG stitch, low tension across the length of the fabric, then carefully pull the bobbin threads from each end until the curtain is gathered to fit on the liner.) Fold the side seams of the curtain in and iron them.

Pin the gathered curtain to the liner. The gathers should extend above and below the liner to cover the rods. Then sew the curtain front to the liner sewing between the gathering threads top and bottom, then pull out the gathering threads (Pull one side of the bobbin thread as far as it will go and cut it off, then pull it completely out from the other side. Top gathering threads will release completely.) Sew the side seams shut - and hang the curtains.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Foiled Again - This is waaaay to complicated for a simple guy like me. I got a quote from one of the advertisers of AS curtains for $1,600 for all the curtains in my 32 ft Excella. My gut feel is that if I did attempt to fabricate them myself, I'd be looking at about 200 hours of labor plus all the material, supplies etc and it would likely cost the same $'s. On that basis I'll defer to the professionals. That way the curtains should look really good.

Just as an aside, the Elna Lotus is a very small (portable) sewing machine and working on a large piece of fabric, especially where it is all pinned, can be very challenging, not to mention fraught with damaging the fabric with my blood!

I do want to thank you for the additional complications I would have faced with the curtains being trapezoidal - I hadn't thought of that.
WBCCI 8080
Old 08-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
That post #5

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ors-47944.html

could come in handy if as and when the vinyl accordion door that closes off the front from the back of my trailer gets to point of requiring replacement.

Thanks.
WBCCI 8080