Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2002, 03:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Antenna & Oven Difficulties

Ok, we are in the midst of checking out all the systems on our newly aquired A/S to prep for our first trip in mid August. (1966 Overlander International) So far I have two questions I hope someone can help me with - I'm sure they are real no brainers, I just can't figure them out....

First, there is an older crank antenna, made by Braund, on the trailer. We don't plan to use it at this time, but it blocks one of the vents from opening. I have tried and tried to raise, lower, or rotate it but it doesn't budge. Is there a secret password I need to get this thing to move?? The directions on the handle are simple enough - Pull to raise or lower, Push to rotate, and there is an arrow for which way to turn the crank....it's just that the crank doesn't move at all. Any sugggestions before I get the sledge hammer out?

Second, we can't seem to get the oven pilot lit. The range top (separate) works just fine. The diagrams in the manual seem relatively close to the actual plumbing of the Magic Chef oven we have, though it is difficult to be sure what we are looking at. Supposedly there are 2 pilots - a constant and a secondary. The only "valve" there appears to be to turn on the gas at the oven is the large dial on the front left that says "pilot on/off". I assume you turn that on, then light the pilot which is kind of behind the main burner assembly at the back of the stove...but we don't even seem to be getting gas through at all and never could get it lit. Perhaps we are going about it the wrong way entirely...if someone can walk me through Oven lighting 101 I would be most grateful!! I'm sure there is something we are just overlooking.

I know there will be more as we go through the trailer, thanks in advance for any assistance. It's surprising how little useful info there is in the owner's manual when you actually read it!
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Antenna crank

The worm gear is likely corroded preventing you from raising your Braun Skyliner antenna, replacement parts are available and you can access replacing them from the top of the trailer.

These are the instructions I use to light my oven.

STOVE & OVEN LIGHTING INSTRUCTIONS

1. Be sure all valves are in the full off position. The oven thermostat dial should be in the ‘pilots off position’.
2. Turn on main gas supply to range.
3. Depress and turn thermostat dial to ‘off position’.
4. Light top burner pilot (if so equipped) with a match. If has not been operating for a long time, a longer waiting period may be necessary due to air in gas lines.

SHUT DOWN INSTRUCTIONS

1. When trailer is not in use or traveling, turn the thermostat dial to the ‘pilot off’ position and turn off main gas supply.This will turn off the oven and top burner pilot.

Get a service manual from Secratarial Service listed in the Dealer Vendor forum.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:11 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Tamara,

When you light the pilot on the stove it is akin to lighting a fridge or hotwater heater. there is a thermocouple involved. if you use a butane stick lighter, like they say to use for a grill, you can set the knob in the pilot position and light it. You want to keep your flame on it as well for 10-15 seconds after it lights. This should allow you to have a standing pilot so you can maintain a desiginated temp in the oven.

As to the antenna, you may have to get on the roof and see what is up. the old gear sets tend to jam as they age. If you are planning on replacing the antenna in the future I would just remove the antenna from the bracket on the roof. Leave the bracket in place and try not to twist/bang/pull too hard on the crank or you could cause a leak, if it does not leak now leave it till later!

good luck!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Brett,
Thanks for the fast response. I will climb up top and check the antenna, you are surely right that it is just fouled up from age. I'll see about removing it carefully if possible.

As for the oven,

"if you use a butane stick lighter, like they say to use for a grill, you can set the knob in the pilot position and light it. You want to keep your flame on it as well for 10-15 seconds after it lights."

Well we did try to light the pilot at the thermocouple area for up to 30 seconds, but I really don't know if we are getting gas into the pilot even. I'll have another look tonight and see if I can figure it out.

I'll let you know if I discover anything else. There were some mice living right there in the oven at some point, maybe they chewed through something....
Old 07-25-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
One other thing to check is behind the oven knob (pull it straight off) there may be a screw. This would be the metering screw for the pilot lite gas flow. Some owners will screw this in all the way. This shuts off gas flow to the pilot lite. You may want to check this as well.

As to the mice, everything on an Old oven like you have should be impervious to mice. It should all be copper. So the only thing left is lack of gas at the pilot. Once you get it lit then it becomes a thermocouple and safety valve issue. Meaning if it won't stay lit or lite the oven you will need to dig deeper.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Brett,
Well, just got done checking over the systems - got the stove lit, but only by turning the temp knob up and lighting the secondary pilot directly. So obviously there is gas to the stove, but the pilot orifices are either clogged, or perhaps there is a thermocouple that is only for the constant pilot, and that is bad?

I had wondered about the screw under the knob being switched off...good suggestion. But I assume since I can light the secondary that would be a moot point now, yes?

Everything else is working like a charm, now if I could only get tiny elves to come replace my black water tank overnight....

More cleaning and prepping tomorrow night - we will soon be ready for the road!
Old 07-25-2002, 09:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

John.
Thanks for the info on the worm gear on the antenna - I'll see if that is the issue. I think we may just remove the antenna from the bracket for now, and maybe replace it someday with a smaller, modern antenna.

I'd love to have a service manual, but I was under the impression that they didn't make them for models as old as a 66? Was I misinformed? I have one of the "owners manuals" but would love something more in depth.

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Brett,
Now that I think about it some more, perhaps the set screw is the problem. If it only feeds the constant pilot, and the secondary comes off the main gas inlet, then I suppose you could light one but not the other. I will check tomorrow and see if that is the case.

:-)
Old 07-26-2002, 08:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Service manual, antenna

My mistake, service manuals did not start until 1967, I was thinking it was 1966. The Skyliner antenna's are still available if you want to replace it with a new one.

John
Old 07-26-2002, 11:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

John,
Do you think a 67 manual would be helpful enough to warrant my buying one? Surley much of the info would still be pertinent to my 66, don't you think? Maybe I will get a 67 manual if they are available.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:57 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Service manual

Tamara,
I would think they would be the similar unless there was a major update in '67, but I really dont know the answer to that. Try going to the 1966 Overlander forum and asking there, Action in particular.

John
Old 07-27-2002, 01:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Oven Model #

Ok, I have found a few sources for older oven parts. It seems we are going to need to replace the pilot light assembly after all. But I really need to know the model number in order to narrow down my search. And I just can't seem to find any hint of a model number anywhere. Anyone know where the number might be found on a Magic Chef oven from the 60's? We found a model number on the range top - which is separate, so I assume it doesn't count.

Thanks in advance,
Old 07-30-2002, 04:19 PM   #13
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Service manual

T,

Major model change occured for the 1969 model year. I would assume (man, there i go using a bad word!) the 1967 and 1968 model year would be very similar to our 1966's.

I have not ordered a service manual (I do have an owners manual like you) Getting a 1967 sounds like a good idea. If you get one let me know what it is like!

Not able to help with the oven. I don't have a need for one right now. It's so hot here that being outside feels like an oven. No pilot lite needed!

And lastly the crank up antenna in my bullet works. I always count my blessings!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-30-2002, 04:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Action,

Thanks! Will definitely let you know about the service manual.

Glad to hear your antenna works and that you don't need the stove. Our antenna is now removed - still working on the stove. And I haven't even gotten to the bumper or the black water tank yet....

Of course, we STILL have rain here. I thought you were going to take some???

Catch you later,