Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Campbell River , British Columbia
Another brand new fridge not working and lots more.

Hi,
I must say that I am getting a little dissappointed at my rig. It is a brand new Signaure Inter 23FB. My dream Airstream.

So far, water heater has a loud high pitch sound to it. Works well but it is right next to the bed.

Fridge won't come on. Tried everything. It is brand new!! Lights come on but fridge doesn't work or cool. Dometic suggest turn fridge off and have it serviced. If left on it could catch fire! It is the RM2351 model.

Have to replace the tires, as I am scared to death of 14" Marathons on a 6000 lbs GVW rig.

My main awning jams up and won't fully deploy. They had a problem demo-ing it at the dealer's and I shouldn't have accepted it that way. I had a ferry to catch. My "bad" on this one.

Valve on gray water tank doesn't stay closed. It is loose and the first bump, moves it.

I guess I will go to Langley after all, and have them do the propane tank holder recall. A few nights in a hotel, no doubts, while they chase all this.

Maybe trade it in on a cheap trailer while I am there.

Al
roundrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your new Airstream. I think you have the right idea: take your time, try to relax, and get all the things that annoy your fixed, adjusted, or replaced.

Your Airstream is meant to give you fun and good times, not unhappiness.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your new Airstream. I think you have the right idea: take your time, try to relax, and get all the things that annoy your fixed, adjusted, or replaced.

Your Airstream is meant to give you fun and good times, not unhappiness.
Thank you for that. Just finished telling my wife that all those problems will get fixed at the dealer on May 8th, then it is off across Canada,after that.
Its just that I didn't expect all of this from such an Iconic brand. Maybe a cheap trailer, but not an Airstream. But, you are right. Time to relax and make this part of the journey.

Al
Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Blade fuses

So sorry you're having problems. About the refrig - you said you tried everything, but DO check to see if it's plugged in. My plug came loose and I was getting ready to cuss! Opened the outside door and didn't see that the plug was loose but pushed on it anyway. It moved about 1/4 inch. Again didn't notice anything until I walked inside and the display light was on. Another simple thing is the blade fuse. Pull it and put another one in. They are standard auto blade fuses and dirt cheap. Good to keep a few spares handy.

Paula

BTW - in some respects ALL RV manufacturers ASSEMBLE RV's as much as build them. All the appliances and electronics are made by other companies. The Dometic brand has been pretty good over time, but there are always a FEW duds.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

The "on" light comes on. Everything on 110 works. On my old non "Airstream" trailer fridge, when we turned it on, we could hear it run. This fridge, nothing happens. No sound. Am I expecting something that isn't there?. Had it on for 6 hours in one cycle and the freezer compartment was still room temp.
Is there a plug in behind? Or are you talking about my main 30 amp outside plug? Also, this fridge is on its own 15 amp breaker. I couldn't find a blade fuse marked REF.

Cheers

Al
Old 04-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
There should be a plug inside the outside compartment of the fridge it is a regular household plug into the wall of the trailer usually on the outside wall .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Not that is helps, but remember Airstream is probably just as aggravated by these issues as you are.

The problems you mention are not Airstream's problems, they bought these products from a vendor just as you did, and expected them to work, just as you did.

Having owed a couple brand new SOBs first, I assure you they are more a problem than the AS.

Let the dealer get you through these shake down problems, and enjoy your rig over the long run. It gets better!

Regards

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Al, we have a 1999... One day it will be old.. . So will yours.. And these truly significant annoyances...well, consider it part of earning your "Streamin" stripes.

The parts are all "vendor" supplied to Airstream. They just "assemble" the parts. You will find these will sort out but are a PAIN.

Ideally Airstream should let me camp for a week in your new camper to shakedown these problems.... Nah... You might not like that. BTW, airplanes have shakedown flights....every one they build is unique...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I purchased a preowned 2008 Classic 25fb two years ago. It looked like it had hardly been used. The blue tape that holds the two fridge crisper drawers was still in place as well as the factory labels on the shower encloser. Over the course of two years I've had to fix many things.

1. The OEM converter/charger was bad; upgraded to a better 3 stage model
2. The shower door frame flashing allowed water to leak onto the hallway. Removed the shower door and resealed the door frame flashing.
3. The AC drain tube leaked and water dripped from the AC air distribution box onto the hall floor.
4. The dealer that installed the Dexter hydraulic brake actuator wired it directly to the 12v lead of the electrical trailer harness so the tow vehicle never got to charge the battery while towing. I changed the wiring.
5. When on propane the fridge flame would continuously blow out while towing. Luckily the Dometic recall fixed this with the inclusion of more sheet metal surrounding the burner assembly.
6. First time I used the black water flush, water gushed out the bottom of the AS. I found the cheapo plastic one way valve behind the shower had cracked, probably due to bad winterizing by the previous owner. Removed it and replaced with an elbow fitting. No issues since.
7. My vinyl floor is buckling in several places due to extreme cold temperatures. Probably replace it in the near future.

My Zip Dee awning has been OK but of all the awnings I've experience the hardest to deploy and retract.

I consider myself lucky in that I don't seem to have the problem of the leaking rear bumper/rub rail that many mid 2000 Safari and Internationals have suffered. I haven't discovered any leaks else where either. I'm due to have the outside seams and windows checked.

I guess to describe my relationship with my Airstream is a love/hate relationship. Every time I consider selling it and start to look at conventional trailers I find I just don't like them well enough to switch.

You will get all your issues repaired and it will be a fine trailer. Don't get discouraged.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hi RoundRobin-

Please don't get discouraged--we've all been there!

Airstreams are beautiful--by far the best looking! But I've always explained to friends that they're the Ferrari's of travel trailers: They look fantastic, they handle the best (low center of gravity and aerodynamic), but they cost three times as much and are in the shop all the time!

Embrace the fixes, and enjoy your fantastic new baby. Multiple trips to the dealer to get things right are likely, and your service manager and "tech" are going to become your new best friends while you're under warranty.

Have fun!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundrobin View Post
The "on" light comes on. Everything on 110 works. On my old non "Airstream" trailer fridge, when we turned it on, we could hear it run. This fridge, nothing happens. No sound. Am I expecting something that isn't there?. Had it on for 6 hours in one cycle and the freezer compartment was still room temp.
Sorry to hear about your problems. It seems like your dealer should have caught most of these issues before he released the trailer. I know mine spent a week running and checking everything before I was allowed to pick it up.

I have a 2015 International Serenity. As far as I know, my refrigerator doesn't make a sound either. At least I can't remember ever hearing it turn on.

I do know it takes a long long time before it feels cold. I turn mine on a good 24 hours in advance to get it to temperature before placing food in it.

You might try leaving it on of 24 hours, either on propane or electricity and see if it gets cold at all. But you might want to monitor the rear access compartment for excessive heat, if Dometic thinks there is a chance for fire.

Also on your gray water valve, don't you have a set of steel cages that come up on either side of the valve and lock the handle in place. It shouldn't be able to slide open if the retaining cages are latched on the handle.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The only sounds you should hear from a Dometic propane-electric fridge itself are the ignitor (at the moment it's lighting or attempting to light the propane flame) and if it's VERY quiet, the flame itself. Some of them are installed in places that require a 12v fan to move air across the coils and out the vent, that would be thermostatic or on with the fridge or switched, depending on the particular installation.

However, in 6 hours of operation, the base of the freezer section should feel distinctly colder than the ambient temp.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

OK,
Located both outside doors and was amazed as to how easy it is to get at. My old rig certainly wasn't like this. There is a small fan at the top. Probably kicks in when it gets hot in there. Anyway, located the plug. Unplugged/re-plugged. Its been 1.5hours now and the bottom of the tray in the freezer is very cold!!!
Amazing what 8 hours sleep and the best forum in the world will do fo someone.

I have de-winterized it. Yup! turned the valve to the water tank to the on position before I let out all the antifreeze :-) Everything the hard way. But I will remember next year. The water heater has quiet down. The fridge is working. Michelin's going on next week.
So now, on my way East in early May, I will stop at Travel and RV in Langley and they will do the propane tank tray fix and we will straighten out the awning.
My lino is also not glue down in one spot in the kitchen. You get that lose feeling when you walk on it. Probably will leave it that way.
And in the long of it, I am still happy to have an Airstream. To have been fortunate enough to buy one of those at my age and leave it to my kids when I go.

Again, Thank you Paula, and all who helped.

Pretty hard to find a forum that is so kind and gentle with newbies.

Al in Campbell River BC
Old 04-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Bought my trailer at the same dealership. They have treated me well - especially when some twit backed into my bumper while it was there for service and I did not notice the damage until I got home. They replaced the bumper; no questions asked!

BTW (and if you are a long-time Campbell River resident you might already know this)
at one time the Campbell River waterfront had a huge colony of Airstreamers from the U.S. It was called "Little New York," circa late 1960s. They came for the summer Tyee salmon run. I have been trying to track down a photo of this - so far unsuccessful.

Anyway, you have a beautiful trailer to enjoy on one of the most beautiful islands in the world. You are indeed very fortunate.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Bought my trailer at the same dealership. They have treated me well - especially when some twit backed into my bumper while it was there for service and I did not notice the damage until I got home. They replaced the bumper; no questions asked!

BTW (and if you are a long-time Campbell River resident you might already know this)
at one time the Campbell River waterfront had a huge colony of Airstreamers from the U.S. It was called "Little New York," circa late 1960s. They came for the summer Tyee salmon run. I have been trying to track down a photo of this - so far unsuccessful.

Anyway, you have a beautiful trailer to enjoy on one of the most beautiful islands in the world. You are indeed very fortunate.

Thank you. I have seen pictures of the Little New York at the museum in Campbell River. Can you recommend a good place to camp near Langley?

al
Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
So glad it's all working out for you! The loose linoleum is standard, from what I understand. We go to windy places (we're windsurfers) and were alarmed one day to see our whole floor floating with the wind gusts! Apparently, there was a small unsealed area underneath the coach. We were parked just downwind of the top of a hill, exposing the underside to the 35 mph gusts, and the wind did a little dance with the floor! We sealed the spot, so we don't have it anymore, but I was told by my dealer that they only tack the floor vinyl down around the outsides for ease of replacement later.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Also remember that if you want to keep things cool/cold while towing you must have the battery disconnect switch in the ON position and the propane tanks open. To keep my fridge plugging in outside I VERY slightly pulled the plugs away from each other a bit so the plug fit snug and would not "pop" out.

Enjoy the trip.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If your Lino flaps in the breeze, imagine how it acts when towed at 65mph with high pressure on front and low in the stern!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Eugene , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to Bdinla
@ roundrobin
I agree with you. This is an awesome forum. I'm a newbie myself, and just found out a ton of great info about battery/power management after overtaxing my system while dry camping in Death Valley. The extensive knowledge available on this forum, and the willingness to share it, makes it invaluable.
One thing that I don't believe was mentioned in any of the posts above is the fact that the fridge will not turn on, at least in 'gas' mode, if the coach is three or four degrees off of horizontal. I had ours in front of our home, parked in the street, while preparing for a trip. It was 'leaning' into the curb - off horizontal by about four degrees - and the lighter would not ignite. Checked the manual, and it warned that the fridge was designed not to light under those conditions. Put blocks under the curb-side wheel, and the fridge lit immediately.
Doesn't sound like that was your problem. Just throwing in my two cents. Glad you're up and running. Btw, we eventually want to get a 23D (our dream coach), but happy with our 19' Flying Cloud for the moment.
Bdinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundrobin View Post
Thank you. I have seen pictures of the Little New York at the museum in Campbell River. Can you recommend a good place to camp near Langley?

al
Hi, rustic or full hook-up?