Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
All about showers

2019 Flying Cloud 26RBQ
I like a shower with good water pressure, but knowing I was moving into an RV I had diminished expectations.
With stock components, my shower enclosure is about six feet away and many 90 degree fittings and hoses from the pump. My flow is not a flow, but rather a pulsation when using the pump only. Changing to the much ballyhooed Oxygenics shower head, it is still a weak pulsation, and not enough pressure to push the water in a straight line across the enclosure.
With pump off and connected to the pedestal, the flow is even less than the pump. With only the internal pressure reducer, the flow is not enough to create a shower effect. With both a dial-pressure reducer at the pedestal set at 50#, and the internal pressure reducer, I get just a trickle.

Do you have a better experience with your rig?
What have you done to improve your flow? Surge tank? New pump? Other?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
2019 Flying Cloud 26RBQ
I like a shower with good water pressure, but knowing I was moving into an RV I had diminished expectations.
With stock components, my shower enclosure is about six feet away and many 90 degree fittings and hoses from the pump. My flow is not a flow, but rather a pulsation when using the pump only. Changing to the much ballyhooed Oxygenics shower head, it is still a weak pulsation, and not enough pressure to push the water in a straight line across the enclosure.
With pump off and connected to the pedestal, the flow is even less than the pump. With only the internal pressure reducer, the flow is not enough to create a shower effect. With both a dial-pressure reducer at the pedestal set at 50#, and the internal pressure reducer, I get just a trickle.

No...we learned to adapt.👍
We never have taken a 'shower' in the AS. 😘
Go Navy, wet-off-soap&scrub-on-rinse-off, dry as needed.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We do have a better experience. When we are hooked to public water, we sometimes turn on the pump for more pressure (make sure you have fresh water in the tank). I have to believe you have a problem somewhere if you are not getting good flow from the shower. We seldom use the pump when hooked to the pedestal. I also have a filter and water softener along with my own regulator outside and that does not affect the flow that much.

You are getting enough hot water? What about your faucets? Are they getting enough pressure? If they are then maybe you shower control that mixes hot and cold is set wrong.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Something is definitely wrong. My Oxygenics shower head will pulse on the pump for a few seconds when first started but then provides a steady shower. On outside water, it works a mite better but not much.

Something is diverting or diminishing the flow -- do you have some kind of bypass for winterizing? (I live in Florida so I am vague on the winterizing process) Is pressure normal at the sink and in the toilet?

It's a puzzlement...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
The shower in my 28 Serenity works just fine. Not sure why my friends call me “Stinky”...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Yes.
I love my shower. It's one the the things that the 26 U designers got right (floor wise) Connected to city water the flow is comparable to home. I use the shut off to conserve water. I'm sure I used the pump for a shower, but I can't recall hating it, so I assume it was okay.
I turn on the water heater about 20 minutes ahead of showering, then turn the valve 3/4 of the way around until the hot water arrives, then back off a bit.

I wish I had better advice for you, but I haven't changed anything.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I hate to ask the obvious, but is the control on the shower handle in the full ON position?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
We have never had an issue with water pressure in the shower with either campground water or freshwater tank. We did upgrade to the Oxygenics shower head, not so much because the factory shower head didn’t work, but because of the glowing Oxygenics reviews. It sounds like something is restricting the water to the shower if all the faucets have good pressure. Time for some diagnostics.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
First, let me ask, how is the water pressure at the sinks? If it's okay, I'd unscrew the shower head and remove the flow restrictor. Or, maybe a supply line is pinched.
I might have lower expectations, but I'd rather use my shower than any campground's.
If it's a 2019, I'd certainly not be shy about taking it to a dealer.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #10
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Thanks everyone. Looks like I do need more troubleshooting. Nothing obvious when I trace the lines. I was planning on a Jackson Center tourist visit, perhaps I will get on their maintenance schedule.

Bill
Camp Host, Sandy Beach County Park
Rio Vista, CA

Want to be a camp host? Contact me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	331992  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Loudon , Tennessee
Like the TN flag!
tomquinnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
With my previous RV's (a SOB and an AS LY diesel pusher) I figured that the pulsation of water pressure when showering something I had to live with. But when I acquired my '87 Excella (in 2011) the PO had included, but not installed, a stainless steel accumulator tank - see https://www.campingworld.com/shurflo...ess-steel-tank - along with the Oxygenics shower head. No more pressure puslation and smooth showers while boondocking.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We use the Furry by Oxygenic and it works very well. The original Oxygenic model is fine too, but we like the way the Furry model spreads out the water, still with good pressure. Much better than standard head that came with the AS. Sounds like your pressure issue may be somewhere in the lines...good luck.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #14

Poway , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No...we learned to adapt.[emoji106]

We never have taken a 'shower' in the AS. [emoji8]

Go Navy, wet-off-soap&scrub-on-rinse-off, dry as needed.[emoji23]

Bob

[emoji631]

I agree, however, you could always trade your Airstream for a Winnebago, I heard they have high pressure showers... you city slicken’ yuppie, you!

RMMillerJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The newer trailers come with a Kohler shower head. It has a button on it that increases the water pressure. You have to hold the button on or it returns to water save mode.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We tried the Oxygenics head and didn't like it. Not enough water pressure. We kept the on/off button on it and exchanged the head for another one. We shower in the trailer 99% of the time. It's a Navy shower, but works for us. A 6 gal. water heater has enough for both of us.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
We tried the Oxygenics head and didn't like it. Not enough water pressure. We kept the on/off button on it and exchanged the head for another one. We shower in the trailer 99% of the time. It's a Navy shower, but works for us. A 6 gal. water heater has enough for both of us.

Kay
We had the original Oxygenics also, and did not like it; we then got the Furry by Oxygenics and it works great for us. The original was like using a hose with a spray nozzle; the Furry spreads out the water like our shower head at home, and uses air to create the sensation of using more water, but is pretty efficient in our opinion. Anytime your showering, in a TT, moderation is the key of course.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
2019 Flying Cloud 26RBQ

There is a screw adjustment on the pump head that will allow you to adjust water pressure and increase flow.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Something is definitely interfering with your shower. Since it’s new, let the dealer or the guys at the Service Center at JC sort it out for you. There are a lot of possibilities (including the mixing valve that’s part of the hot water line in the hot water heater domain). Like several others, I am not a fan of the Oxygenics shower head. It seemed like it was more air than water.

I’m always amazed when I’m told, “oh, we never use the shower, we use it for storage.” Unless you’re at a super park (like Fort Wilderness), there aren’t many campground showers I’d want to visit. After a 20 year Army career and many communal showers, I can tell you that I never saw a nasty shower room like I’ve seen in some of the parks we’ve been in.

But then, to each his own.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. That’s why we use our own shower and have put in a tankless water heater. DW likes long hot showers and her own bathroom as much as possible.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote