Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Question Airstreams: 1978 versus 1984

I'm in the market for an Airstream, and there's a 1984 and a 1978 in the same size that are available. Given all the other considerations, the two are roughly equivalent prices.

Now first of all, I haven't seen either one personally up close, and there may well be considerations about either that would put it out of the question. But what I'm looking for is opinions about which year is more likely to have major problems.

Like "For gosh sakes, don't buy a 1978, because that's when Beatrice Foods had 'em firmly in the trash!" or "Watch out for the 1984's because they all explode once a week!" , or general wisdom like that....

Any input or suggestions? Thanks!
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
The range of conditions can vary widely. I was very fortunate when I bought my '78 Excella 31 footer. There were others at the dealership that looked a lot worse for the wear, but on the outside looked about the same. I am very happy with the 78 even though Beatrice Foods was responsible for the line then.

Unless you can touch them both and look for the faults, it is difficult to make a decision. Both being the same price, the first inclination would be to go for the '84, but 6 years isn't much to an Airstream. What really matters is how were they maintained.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. You will find that the folks here are honest, likeable and above all helpful.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstreams: 1978 versus 1984

I would second Vic's advice, given the modest age spread condition and evidence of good maintenance would certainly be a deciding factor.

If the conditions and maintenance issues are comparable then it will be more of an aesthic decision. Tambour was still being used for many of the cabinet doors in '78, but was being or had been phased out by '84 if my understanding is correct. The '78 may also be outfitted with some of the "typical '70s decorator elements" such as burnt orange, avacado green or harvest gold appointments as well as "flower power" wall covering in the bath - - I suspect that the color palet would have been more neutral by '84.

In either case, at twenty plus years of age, either coach may be in need of new software in the interior (drapes, upholstery, cushions, etc. - - I know that it was a #1 need in my '78 Argosy).

Good luck with your inspections!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I think you have received some very sound advice. A couple of inputs from my Airstream search. Stay away from the early to mid 70's units with "double pane" windows. There are a lot of entries on the site about them and replacement or repair gets expensive. Second, look hard if you get a rear bath unit - rear sag, etc. I stayed with the rear twin units and center bath - a tried and true design for the 70s and 80s.

Finally, the feel of the unit means a lot. How many owners has it had? How's the documentation and has it obviously been cared for. I can tell you that you will view several units before the right one jumps at you, unless you are luckier than me. GOOD LUCK.
CO_Don is offline   Reply With Quote