Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Roscoe , Illinois
Airstream vs. Avion

I'm debating between a 1971 26ft Avion and a 1966 Airstream Overlander. I really want the Airstream but it is 4,000 more and it really is out of my budget but I have heard getting replacement parts for Avion is really difficult. I'm a novice and need help! Thanks,
vintageglam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I have a 1977 Avion and am in the process of purchasing a 1966 Airstream. The Avions have nice interiors; I love the real wood. Airstreams are "cooler".

Whatever you do - look at the roof. At least ask for photos. I got taken on my '77 Avion. Everything looked great, but we neglected to check the roof. Dumb, I know; live & learn. When I got home I found tar poured all over it to cover up gaps and missing rivets. I've tried cleaning it up and have just given up on it. This morning I went to look at another '77 Avion. This time we climbed up on the roof and found it in the same condition. We just walked away feeling much wiser.

You are right about parts. My Avion needed a new roof vent, but they are that funky 18" vent that no one makes. I did manage to order a new vent cover from Cayo, but the rest of the vent (screen, fan, motor) can't be found anywhere. Curved windows in the front can't be found, nor the window cover that protects it when you drive. Airstream parts are easy to find. Especially here in Austin where everyone is gutting them to convert to food trailers.

Good luck!
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote