Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream used or new... checklist

I have volunteered to walk a new Airstream owner of a new and a used trailer. I noticed immediately that the 'new owner' was more interested in getting a quick approval of a 'wise purchase' and wants to leave right away.

If you have asked someone to look over a new, before purchase or a used, before purchase trailer... it is an excellent idea to take your time and inspect absolutely EVERYTHING possible. Instead... new prospective owners want the 'Trailer Dealer walk around'... and get moving.

A true inspection of any trailer will take HOURS... not minutes. Even then there is so much not checked... propane lines, brakes, batteries, electronics, AC, Water Pump, water line, window seals, door locks, leaks... and those of you who are owners, already understand.

A sitting trailer of any brand is a sitting... disaster if you are not detail orientated.

I discovered that the new or prospective used trailer owner, really is not interested in understanding how 'things work', nor is concerned about these components even in the trailer.

Most cases, it has been already purchased and just needs to be picked up. Absolutely NO leverage at that point.

A truly effective inspection takes four to seven hours.

In less than an hour, you have time to check the tires and if anything like the refrigerator is still attached. Later, does the new trailer owner have towing experience, trailer now attached, and drives as if there is NO trailer attached.

Taking any 'hints' as... criticizing their driving skills.

Get me wrong, if you like... but those who provide the volunteer inspections for trailers are SAINTS. You have hearts of gold to do this, as many, not all, new Airstream owners just want a bit of security with you as their passenger. Hanging on, watching traffic situations a quarter mile down the road. While the newbie is watching traffic twenty feet ahead with a line of traffic merging onto the highway just ahead... seeing this shiny object getting in front of them.

Nope. I am not a Saint. There are a lot of trailers that are being sold, any brand, that have a long list of expensive service or replacement parts needed. If anyone thinks that the used trailer dealer in town checked everything out... then have them give you the 'long tour and test'.

There is a car lot I drive by frequently that has 1940's to 1970's shiny attractive automobiles for sale. One day they had a number of 1960's Corvettes. No longer $1200 to $2000, but $45,000. First thing I do is pop up the hood. Absolutely filthy and rusty. Non original parts everywhere. No static shields for the radio. The frame is rusty. The exhaust system... is beat. Paint overspray. Pitted chrome. But as a walk by... a beautiful example of restoration on their way from the detail shop to auction.

Same with these trailer and RV Sales. A sucker is born every minute, but wait another 59 minutes for trailers buyers... one born every hour.

When the owner of a USED Airstream is not anxious to show you how everything works... deduct 35% of his asking price. If he is... insulted... deduct 50% of his asking price and if it remains for sale on Craigslist for another six months... offer 10% of his asking price and see what he wants, now.

"A Pig with lipstick, is still a Pig."
Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I too have done several volunteer inspections of Airstreams, AS kin, and SOBs. The thing that always amazes me is that the potential buyer, who is looking to spend less than $5k on a vintage trailer, is shocked to hear what bad shape the thing is in.

We can probably fault blind faith/optimism and excitement to start enjoying the new toy. I am eternally amazed at all of the potential buyers who expect a 40+ year old trailer that has had minimal repairs to be immediately not just useable, but liveable. Perhaps it is also the retail environment we live in today, where you see people returning products to the store that have been thoroughly worn out, and expecting a full refund because their expectations weren't met.

Recently, I sold a very small SOB trailer from 1969. It had belonged to my recently deceased father, and we were disposing of various parts of the estate in a big hurry. As mentioned above, a full inspection takes many hours. My ad selling the trailer described what was there, and what had been observed while cleaning it out, and very bluntly stated that nothing had been tested, the trailer would not be set up for a full blown inspection, and that the low asking price reflected the risk. The very first person to respond to the ad asked if the furnace worked, as they intended to full time in it in the coming Colorado winter. Talk about optimism!!!

If there is one thing a trailer buyer (especially a vintage trailer) could do to properly prepare for the purchase, it would be to read a few of the threads where new owners are bemoaning the list of repairs they are having to do on a trailer that was advertised as being in campable condition. The early episodes of "The VAP" podcast also help to calibrate expectations.
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Green Bay , Wisconsin
Need help purchasing a used airstream

Ray, I saw your post, and I am a current owner of a 25' 2008 safari SE, which I purchased 6 years ago, and understand the value of someone really looking at the unit before you buy it.

That said, my Brother in law, retired military is looking to buy his first airstream, and needs a real pro to go through the unit, he is looking in Los Gatos, CA at one.....

Do you know where I might find such a person?? As we are more than happy to pay this individual for his time and expertise

Thanks in advance for your help