Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kingston , ON
Airstream repair in Ontario

Hi everyone - I rubbed my AS up against a large tree negotiating a very tortuous narrow campsite road at Silent Lake Prov Park last weekend. Hit the lower door hinge, and impacted it about one inch. Bent the door frame, so that the door wouldn't close from inside (although luckily I could close it from the outside to drive home). I've partially repaired it by removing the door (which was a real PITA), partially straightening the frame with a huge vise, and building out the hinge with spacers so that now the door closes easily, but the top protrudes 1/2". I'm afraid that it might leak while driving.

Does anyone know who could repair/replace the door frame and door on a 2007 31' Classic in Ontario? I heard that there might be someone in Oshawa?

Thanks very much,

Paul
trvler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The best Airstream house in this area is in London: Can-Am RV. The President is a member here, Andrew Thomson. They are well worth the drive.

Too bad about that accident!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Colin Hyde in Plattsburg, NY is quite a bit closer and might be better at body work and restoration too. Google Colin Hyde Trailer.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kingston , ON
I talked directly to Airstream in Ohio, and they tell me that they will replace the door and frame for $3964.50. Never heard back from Colin Hyde. I will phone Can-Am on Monday, but seems to me it might be best to get it repaired at the factory, right?

Paul
Old 10-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvler View Post
I talked directly to Airstream in Ohio, and they tell me that they will replace the door and frame for $3964.50. Never heard back from Colin Hyde. I will phone Can-Am on Monday, but seems to me it might be best to get it repaired at the factory, right?

Paul
We had the misfortune of damaging ours a couple of winters ago when just setting out on a 7 week US trip. It was at the 401 service cehtre near Woodstock. Wr hit a conrectecurb busied under deep snow as we negotiated a very narrow ploughed road within the service centre trying to get to the pumps.

It damaged the rockguard, several of the paanels that warp under, bent the steps and ripped of propane lines.

My wife had the great idea of detouring a couple of hundred miles to Jackson centre.

It was a Sunday. We did that and found their free campground had electricity and roads were clear so we stopped there the night. At seven the next morning, they took us right in for the unplanned repairs.

Very happy with the service, the quality of the work, and the price - while not cheap - was probably reasonable and comparable.

A plus was they they had all the parts needed immediately available.

While we were there I had them put all new tires on as well which was something I had planned on doing on the trip anyway.

Do you head south in the winter? If so, that might be a good option for you - probably could just temporarily seal up any potential leaks un til then.

Also, if you haven;t done it, perhaps yoi could take the factory tour while there. they have a decent customer lounge at JC. Not much else in the small town, but there is a larger town maybe ten miles south.

We had to stay over the second night- had we wanted, they would have pulled the trailer out for us to sleep in it on theior property again, but we opted for a motel instead.

Brian
Burlington Ont.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
agreed

We have heard good things about Can Am and Colin Hyde, but we have had a lot of work done at the factory. A couple of years ago, a bunch of pine trees fell on top of our Airstream. Huge wind shear at our home parking spot. It crunched the AC, the vents on top, the front curbside top section and the door. We took it to Jackson Center and they did a great job of replacing the panel and fixing everything else. Of course, we are only about 3 hrs. away from the factory. Terraport is great and if you are getting repairs the camping is free...at least I think it still is. And the tour is great. And there are other things to do in the area while you wait. (Bicycle factory, Armstrong Museum, Canals and Locks etc.)
Good luck on your fixes. Keep us posted on what happens next!

Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Now I have broken the thread. I was recommending Can Am and also confirming what others have said along with, in my case, something learned the hard way, never,ever, back up without a spotter.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvler View Post

Paul
You're right, Paul. The Mother Ship is the best route. Get over the border, scoot across I90 to I75 and enjoy the trip south.

I agree with Brian 100%. I can only add that you might notice that Jackson Center is NOT the center of the culinary or entertainment world.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Courtesy Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
You're right, Paul. The Mother Ship is the best route. Get over the border, scoot across I90 to I75 and enjoy the trip south.

I agree with Brian 100%. I can only add that you might notice that Jackson Center is NOT the center of the culinary or entertainment world.
Depending on the direction you come, you may need a stopping spot. We are just sw of Cleveland and you are welcome to courtesy park with us.
We are just off of the turnpike.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Ditto about going to Jackson Center. While Can-Am does good work, they will have to order in the parts. However, JC usually requires that you book an appointment and I have seen them turn away people without one. So if you are planning to go there, call them first.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
So, Trvler: how did you resolve your body repair?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kingston , ON
I had contacted Colin Hyde last fall as he is much closer to me than Jackson Centre, and he was willing to do the work, but never gave me a firm date. So I finally booked an appointment at Jackson Centre last June, and had Airstream replace the main door. Took them a day and a half, but they did a nice job. I watched them bend the door to fit properly in the frame. Still doesn't close easily, but no worse than the old door (pre- accident). Airstream said it would ease up with time as the seals get worn in, but I've noticed no difference.
Oh, and they also replaced the flexible hydraulic brake lines which were on recall (I had previously re-routed the lines myself as one failed due to compression against frame). I also replaced the actuator hoping that it might improve brake lag, but it didn't make any difference.