Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Airstream fires?

How bad are fires in a airstream.were moving in and I need safety advice
MyNancy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Let's put it this way.... you're not gonna simply kick-out the walls to escape from a fire like you can the SOB's.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Better have a fire extinguisher just in case. Most rear windows are designed as escape hatches.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Fire safety is a genuine concern in any home, regardless of it's mobile nature or not. Get a smoke detector and a good Halon Gas fire extinguisher.
Air Stream trailers are perhaps a little less likely to catch fire do to the aluminum inside skins. However there are plenty of combustable inside like curtains, cabinets, bedding, etc. Practice fire safety! Think before you put a portable heater next to a cabinet or bedding. Don't place candles to close to curtains.
You can also have the gas line and fittings pressure tested for leaks. That should be done every year as they can shake loose during travel.

Safe journey,
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Let's put it this way.... you're not gonna simply kick-out the walls to escape from a fire like you can the SOB's.
A presumptuous statement. Many SOB's are clad in 0.040" aluminum or fiberglass. No easy task.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
RV fires are rare, and it generally takes an act of negligence to start one, so I don't want my post to alarm anyone. But having been a safety coordinator at work, and having been trained on how to design fire protection systems as a mechanical engineer, it's a subject I take a personal interest in. But I am not a professional firefighter or investigator, so my knowledge is (mostly) academic.

The first step is fire prevention. Which comes down to basic housekeeping and common sense since most of the furniture is built in. The main things are to make sure you don't store burnables next to the furnace or stove, and that you keep your paths to the exits clear. And if you smoke, make your trailer a non-smoking trailer and step outside to light up. Residue from smoking accounts for a lot of fires.

The next step is fire detection. LPG detector, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector. Have them, and make sure they all work.

The third step is fire evacuation. Know where every exit is in your Airstream, and how to get to that exit in the dark, crawling on the floor (just for fun, try crawling from your bed to the nearest exit— and opening it— with your eyes closed. It ain't always easy).

The fourth step is fire fighting. Make sure your fire extinguisher is next to an exit, because you always fight a fire from the outside in, so that the fire can't stop you from getting back out if you can't put it out. If you want to fight a fire, get out first, turn off the propane at the cylinders, and then come back in with an extinguisher. Never have a fire at your back.

Most RVs, Airstreams included, have small extinguishers that are okay for handling burning grease on a stove or other small fires, but aren't big enough to handle any major firefighting. If the fire is too big to be handled by a single extinguisher, let it burn, and evacuate toward the rear of the trailer so you're as far from the propane cylinders as possible. And if you have a chance, get training on how to use an extinguisher. Some fire departments offer such training, and even if they don't offer regular classes, stop by your local firehouse and ask if they'll train you. I doubt they'll refuse. Also, make sure your extinguisher is inspected regularly. Another good reason to stop by the firehouse.

Oh, before I forget… Every propane cylinder has a pressure relief valve near the top. Make sure it's pointed away from your trailer. If the front end of your trailer catches fire, the propane cylinders will get hot. Which will cause the propane inside to expand and cause the pressure relief valve to pop open. You do not want the propane escaping from the pressure relief valve to be spewing toward the fire! I saw a video once of a (non-Airstream) trailer that caught fire. The propane cylinder's pressure relief valve opened due to the heat, the escaping propane caught fire, and it was like an out-of-control acetylene torch aimed right at the trailer's front windows. Made the situation much worse than it was before.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
It's very rare, but if you discover the camper is on fire, get out. RVs burn quickly. Know how to open the emergency windows and get the screens out. Fighting it is possible IF your escape route is open and the fire is small enough.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
We carried these in Naval Aircraft to expedite egress from aircraft in case of an emergency. Would they work in an Airstream? I would certainly not be presumptuous and say that it positively would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	237339  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
We carried these in Naval Aircraft to expedite egress from aircraft in case of an emergency. Would they work in an Airstream? I would certainly not be presumptuous and say that it positively would.
All it takes is an ordinary hammer to break a window and knock out any broken glass. A Maglite flashlight, especially with an aftermarket glass-breaker end cap (http://www.amazon.com/Bust-Cap-Glass.../dp/B00RMHJ6Q8) will also do the trick.

I can't imagine that you'd have to hack your way through a wall to get out.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you post the year and model it would be helpful. Some Airstreams have rear doors for escape. Others have escape windows in the back. CO problems are more common cause of death. Catalytic heaters can be a problem. These things are tight, if you keep the windows shut. Electrical and appliance (furnace, water heater, stove, and refrigerator) are possible sources of ignition.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
figure out your 'escape' route so that you can do it with your eyes closed..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
My 16' sport has a escape window in the rear. Unlatch, push out with your feet. I do agree everyone should have and escape route. Better to be prepared & hope you never need it.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Some of the older models don't have removable screens. So I keep a knife near the sleeping area.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
When my brother and I were in elementary school, the fire department came to the school and taught a little seminar on how to escape from a fire, and suggested that every child take home their booklet and have family fire drills. Prior to that it had never occurred to me that we had only two windows out of the attic bedroom. One was a direct drop to a concrete driveway, the other had the power lines attached to the house directly under the window.

We immediately learned not to hide under the bed or in the closet (most small children who've never had a home fire drill are found in one of those locations - usually dead).

Plan and practice! When it goes wrong you don't have time to think of a solution - it has to be already in place.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
A presumptuous statement. Many SOB's are clad in 0.040" aluminum or fiberglass. No easy task.
Presumptuous...much like your own. I have personally done this (kicked thru a SOB wall and passed thru it. It was constructed of thin plyboard, fiberglas insulation, and covered in sheet-aluminum which tore easily from the wall.) Fortunately it was in a scrap yard and we were simply fooling around and not an actual fire.

The escape scenario most often imagined fails to consider the need to actually pass THROUGH the escape hatch and onto the ground below. The maneuver will be very intimidating despite the need, and significant injury can occur from the fall to the ground.
If you're like me, past middle-age and overweight... and if you have never actually attempted to pass thru your RV Emer-Exit... you will be poorly prepared to actually accomplish the task despite your motivation.
It might be good to consider what is immediately OUTSIDE your Emer-Exit window when you park that thing. Tree's blocking it? Parked vehicle? Ajoining building?
An escape window is useless without preparation. Just sayin'...
Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Lol I know boxite , that's what I was thinking so now I'm coming up with an idea.
MyNancy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The maneuver will be very intimidating despite the need, and significant injury can occur from the fall to the ground.
Even if you end up with broken bones, bruises, and cuts on the way out, it's still better than staying inside where the fire is. Given a choice between being injured in a bad escape and being killed by not escaping, I know which one I'll choose. Burning to death is a horrid way to die.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNancy1977 View Post
Lol I know boxite , that's what I was thinking so now I'm coming up with an idea.
Yeah... I'll bet I know what you're thinking.... me too!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Before buying a Halon fire extinguisher, take a look at
Questions and Answers on Halons and Their Substitutes | Alternatives / SNAP | US EPA
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
The owner's manual that came with our AS when it was new in 2001 recommends opening the rear window regularly (this is our emergency escape hatch) to make sure it operates properly. We do this when we're camping to enjoy the view from the rear of our trailer and to allow fresh air breezes to flow through. I've noticed that the seals around the window do get a little bit sticky sometimes, so the advice given in the manual is good. Know where your escape window is and open it regularly to make sure it's working properly (doing this also gives you the practice needed so that you're familiar with the process in an emergency).

Another good idea is to upgrade your fire extinguisher. Ours came with a small extinguisher that was mounted on the side of a cabinet just inside the door. I never gave it much thought and never had to use it (fortunately), but last year I replaced it with a much larger extinguisher that's rechargeable. I still hope that I never have to use it, but at least I know it's relatively fresh and more capable than the original.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote