Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Supposedly fire extinguishers go bad to the compounds used to smother a fire, consolidating and solidifying in the extinguisher. They need to be removed from their holders and shaken every once in a while to keep things from solidifying. For many who travel a lot, the movement of the trailer provides the shake. If you use the trailer infrequently, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the extinguisher. Another thought would be to rap the bottom of the extinguisher with a rubber mallet. That will definitely move the contents around. After 10 years of ownership, I think it may be time to replace ours. The trailer has sat in storage since September of last year. So with our first outing in early June, the trailer will have sat for 8 months. With Patty's poor health the last 15 months, the trailer has only been out on the road once. We are hoping soon to get out of the doldrums and get out more this year.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Great advice so far from my opinion.
1) Alarms & Detectors...Smoke Alarm mounted high where it will detect the smoke easily. Carbon Monoxide Detector...mounted lower, I chose to mount ours at about the same level as we sleep. LPG Detector mounted lower to detect a leak.
2) Escape...have an Escape Plan. On our '58 we could simply open the Rear Window, Remove the Screen and get out. I have a Rope Ladder (Rope with Wooden Rungs) that I can deploy to keep from breaking bones. Pretty easy to make with a larger piece at the top to keep it from falling through the window.
3) Fire Fighting...could exchange 2 & 3 but Portable Fire Extinguishers mounted in readily accessible locations. These extinguishers use the same basic approach, the removal of oxygen so caution should be used when discharging one in an enclosed area. They should be serviced regularly and have a Gauge to help identify one that needs service (the power does compress on a Dry Chemical from normal vibration, it has been suggested that you turn it upside down and tap on the bottom with a plastic hammer to help dislodge the compacted powder and then check the gauge to be sure it is still fully charged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	973730.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	237956  
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Even if you end up with broken bones, bruises, and cuts on the way out, it's still better than staying inside where the fire is. Given a choice between being injured in a bad escape and being killed by not escaping, I know which one I'll choose. Burning to death is a horrid way to die.
(Quoted for the purpose of focusing the attention, not to challenge any individual)

The trailer is aflame... do you LEAD? or FOLLOW others thru the escape exit?

Have you ever actually participated in a realistic fire-drill in which you, along with others, have demonstrated how to exit a confined space thru a restricted exit?

Have you and your family practiced the maneuver?

If not, then you have a poor chance of success.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #24
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Airstream provides a fire extinguisher, usually in the dining area at the door end of the trailer. It is wise to add another at the bedroom end of the trailer in case flames prevent you from getting to the other end.

And yes, I have tried the escape window, unfortunately climbing into the trailer to retrieve keys locked inside!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
We carried these in Naval Aircraft to expedite egress from aircraft in case of an emergency. Would they work in an Airstream? I would certainly not be presumptuous and say that it positively would.
Now I get the AWCHIEF - AW Chief, BZ
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #26
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Also be aware that the rear window escapes are rendered unusable if you have a Fiamma bike rack installed with bikes on. It's a pain but when camping I make a point of removing my bikes just in case of fire or intruder.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
One of the big advantages of an Airstream (at least in my mind) is that it is closer to the ground than almost any other RV. I haven't tried escaping from an Airstream or any other RV, but we do know how to get windows open to bail out of each of the two most recent RV's we've owned. We'll do the same with the next coach.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #28

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Presumptuous...much like your own. I have personally done this (kicked thru a SOB wall and passed thru it. It was constructed of thin plyboard, fiberglas insulation, and covered in sheet-aluminum which tore easily from the wall.) Fortunately it was in a scrap yard and we were simply fooling around and not an actual fire.
Not presumptuous on my part. You just lump SOB’s into your post and base your view on a single limited event? Not all rigs are built the same way and to broadly throw anything not Airstream under the bus based on a one time “fooling around” episode reveals either a lack of knowledge of just how well some RV’s are constructed, or indifference to anything non Airstream.

Quote:
Let's put it this way.... you're not gonna simply kick-out the walls to escape from a fire like you can the SOB's.
Low end RV’s tend to be cheaply constructed with thin hardboard interior panels, wood frame superstructure walls and roofs, and thin aluminum or fiberglass siding. Most are stapled together and I think a full grown man could punch or kick his way through a wall constructed in this manner given the proper motivation.

Higher end RV’s are typically constructed with plywood interior wall panels, welded aluminum, or steel superstructure frames and roofs, and 0.125 inch (or thicker) fiberglass, or 0.040 inch aluminum skins which are riveted or bonded to the frame. More robust than my Airstream and a man will not punch or kick his way through without the aid of an axe, chainsaw, etc.

The key to any emergency is planning, but planning does no good without practice. When adrenaline kicks in we depend on training to know what we should do in a given situation, and practice to develop muscle memory so that reactions become instinctive when seconds really count.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Take a close look at the screen in the rear of your airstream, it should have an extra few inches or even a loop in the plastic rope that holds the screen into the frame. The purpose is to be able to grab and rip loose the screen for an emergency exit. A 1955 Airstream that I'm working on has a second set of latches below the window. Open them and the entire window assembly, including the screen swings out.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
...? Not all rigs are built the same way and to broadly throw anything not Airstream under the bus based on a one time “fooling around” episode reveals ...indifference to anything non Airstream.....
I don't think you could say I was indifferent, or I wouldn't have made the distinction. The point was NOT to describe the construction of each/every SOB... it was to point out tha you're NOT GOING TO SIMPLY KICK THE WALLS OUT on an Airstream.

Quote:
...? ...Low end RV’s tend to be cheaply constructed with thin hardboard interior panels, wood frame superstructure walls and roofs, and thin aluminum or fiberglass siding. Most are stapled together and I think a full grown man could punch or kick his way through a wall constructed in this manner given the proper motivation. .
Is it OK for YOU to say that ...but not others?

Quote:
...?
Higher end RV’s are typically constructed with plywood interior wall panels, welded aluminum, or steel superstructure frames and roofs, and 0.125 inch (or thicker) fiberglass, or 0.040 inch aluminum skins which are riveted or bonded to the frame. More robust than my Airstream and a man will not punch or kick his way through without the aid of an axe, chainsaw, etc..
Yes, You're correct...I don't have a lot if experience with ALL SOBs. The ones I have usually encountered are the lower-end SOBs and so those are the only ones I've thought about escaping from.
I never worried about escaping from my buddy's Newell because I never spent the night in it.

Anyway, I thought this was an AIRSTREAM forum and that we were discussing Airstreams... and I don't think anyone is likely to kick their way out of it like some SOBs.

Quote:
The key to any emergency is planning, but planning does no good without practice. When adrenaline kicks in we depend on training to know what we should do in a given situation, and practice to develop muscle memory so that reactions become instinctive when seconds really count.
We can agree on something. That was what I intended to express. I didn't realize anyone would be offended that I'd run across an SOB made of cardboard and related an experience with it.

(Is this one of those internet forums where you have to tip-toe around lest someone jump you for participating?)
Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
(Quoted for the purpose of focusing the attention, not to challenge any individual)

The trailer is aflame... do you LEAD? or FOLLOW others thru the escape exit?

Have you ever actually participated in a realistic fire-drill in which you, along with others, have demonstrated how to exit a confined space thru a restricted exit?

Have you and your family practiced the maneuver?

If not, then you have a poor chance of success.
I don't take it as a challenge. You bring up valid points.

My Airstream is an Interstate, so it's a bit different from the trailers. All of the exits are doors, including emergency exits.

And yes, I have practiced getting out the rear doors, both with the sofa/bed in sofa mode (where the rear door handles are obstructed) and in bed mode (much easier). And the side door. And the front doors. With my eyes closed and holding my breath. From anywhere in my dinky little Interstate, I can get out the nearest exit in less than 30 seconds.

Getting out the side door is hardest if I start with the doors locked, because unlocking the door without a remote is awkward. Getting out the rear door over the back of the sofa is hardest if I start with the doors unlocked, because climbing over the back of the sofa is hardest. That's the one where I'd be tempted to go out headfirst.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:53 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

(Is this one of those internet forums where you have to tip-toe around lest someone jump you for participating?)
Several times people have called or shown up at my place of employment to comment upon posts I have made on this forum. One person in particular demanded I be fired for posting something he didn't agree with.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Take a close look at the screen in the rear of your airstream, it should have an extra few inches or even a loop in the plastic rope that holds the screen into the frame. The purpose is to be able to grab and rip loose the screen for an emergency exit. A 1955 Airstream that I'm working on has a second set of latches below the window. Open them and the entire window assembly, including the screen swings out.
That is exactly how my 55 FC is set up. Figured it out while replacing the leaking rear window gasket.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
While away for the after I returned to find my almost new 40ft diesel motor home full of smoke. The white leather furniture & light colored carpet was now black from soot. I immediately turned on the fantastic fan to help clear the smoke but there was no signs of fire. It turned out to be the electric transfer switch shorted out causing an electrical fire in the basement. The heat in the basement caused some water lines to melt & as I was connected to city water they sprayed causing the breaker at the box to short & trip, so at that point all there was left of the fire was smoke & soot. The fire caused extensive damage to the electrical & water systems of the coach, not to mention the cabin.
This happen in June of 2008, it was December of that year just before Christmas when I picked up the coach in Elkhart, Indiana fully restored & repaired. The insurance company investigated this as a crime scene as initially that thought I torched my own motor home, investigators sealed off the area where it was parked after being towed to Elkhart for repairs. In mid July I flew from Fl to Indiana to meet with investigators & factory reps. By the end of the month they released the coach for repair and admitted it was an accident caused by a faulty transfer switch and agreed to pay the almost $30k repair bills. The moral here is fires do happen, always document the event the best you can & if something does not smell right or operate the way it should check it out. Gut feelings are usually the first indication of trouble.
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Airstream fires?

Quote:
We carried these in Naval Aircraft to expedite egress from aircraft in case of an emergency. Would they work in an Airstream? I would certainly not be presumptuous and say that it positively would.

2X! On the aircraft crash axe. I've flown with one next to me for years and have one in the RV. They weigh about 2 lbs and are tough as hell. The handle is insulated so you can chop through high voltage wires (power lines). They can also be used as a weapon. They come with a nice leather wall mount pocket. Very handy piece of safety gear.

http://cabincrewsafety.com/stock/cab...Crash-Axe.html

I've seen several fires caused by bad electrical connections and pinched or chafed wires. It a good idea to periodically check terminals and wires. You will often see signs of heating of bad, loose, or corroded connections. Especially those damn plastic coated crimp on connectors.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_636h7fyayu_b
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Several of the operators we train have had their crash axes removed claiming they've proven to be not useful and unable to create any exits. I don't know if that claim is true, but it surprised me to find some operators no longer carry them and have had them removed from their MELs.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have a feeling the "operators" have not been properly motivated.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
I have a feeling the "operators" have not been properly motivated.
Yep. At the very least I consider them a great survival tool. I wish I'd liberated one from the last one I ferried to the boneyard.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Yep. At the very least I consider them a great survival tool. I wish I'd liberated one from the last one I ferried to the boneyard.

They are worried about them getting ripped off and used as a weapon. Those fears are balanced against the last time one made a difference in an airline crash. Kinda like life vests and rafts.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
My employer has one on each of their almost 800 aircraft. In fact it is a "no go" item if it is missing. I have no doubts about being able to hack through the fuselage with it.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote