Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Angry Airstream dealer won't work on my Limited!

The dealer, Albany RV, won't service or even consider any work on my Airstream because it's more than ten years old. In fact they were about to give me a phone to Airsrtream direct to talk me down... As in the best of luck finding someone to work on your old camper dude...
Here's the thing... We camped over the weekend. had some torrential rains on Friday night...hardest rain ever! We had our very first leak since new in our 31 foot 1985 Limited. Not bad just a tad but got me to thinking. Might be time to do a little sealing up there and definitely time to re-coat the roof. I also want to pull off the tv antenna. We haven't used it in years and it's seen better days so taking it off is happening plus need to plug the big ole hole from it. I wouldn't think it would all that expensive or hard and it's a little above my pay grade, I'm happy to spend a couple of bucks to have some expert who knows how to not crawl around on top of Airstreams to do it right so it will last but I can't find anyone who will do the job! Wo is me...
Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Simple, go elsewhere.
I wouldnt trust that attitude. Someone else will appriciate your money!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
It might have been entertaining to get them on a conference call with someone at the Service Center in Jackson Center, since I'm sure THEY work on older trailers.

The local dealer is probably afraid you'd balk at the price of their $100+/hr labor rates on your 33-yr-old trailer and would prefer to sell you a new one. The dealer closest to me pushes a "lifetime warranty" for service if you buy from them (and pay out-of-pocket for an annual "maintenance" appointment) but I hear lots of people unhappy with their service. Thus far there's been nothing that needed doing that I couldn't more easily do myself, and Colonial sent me the one part I needed to replace so I haven't regretted buying from Colonial instead of the 90-miles-away "local" dealer with the 3-month backlog for service.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I am sure it is challenging for a dealer to work on a 30+ year old trailer. Likely more risk and exposure than it is worth for them.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
IMHO, any dealer with that attitude does not deserve my business under any circumstances...new, used or service...I'd be finding someone willing to work, not give excuses.

The local dealer I used went out of business due to a new freeway ramp. Their service folks got snapped up at another dealer. If I need them for something I can't do, I will find those guys...and gladly pay them. Otherwise, I do it myself.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Not everyone repairs Vintage

I made a living restoring Antique Jukeboxes and Slot Machines. And other coin operated games like some pinball machines, gumball and floor scales.

People would pay top dollar for a machine from somewhere else, it would break down... and they would call me to repair it.

What happens if I did repair it... I would OWN this poorly restored, expensive antique... for ever. When I say 'own', if it broke down in the future, it was now my problem, not the guy who sold it to them.

The profit was buying a machine that did not work, replace worn parts and then professionally restore it. This is where the profit was made. Not fixing someone else's problem.

I might have twenty or thirty mechanical slots and jukeboxes of my own to do.

I can understand a Trailer Dealer that does not want to get into this Hornet's Nest. Once you begin to dig into the problem... it is a place of no return.

I stood behind my sales 100%. Business was brisk, and I was good at what I did.

I would do mechanical slot machine repairs, IF it was... a repairable machine from somewhere else. Not often. (Sometimes I would do a service job, with the understanding that the owner understood that what I am looking at is not something that was dependable.)

Jukeboxes... never. They are like an Airstream trailer. Too many things to go wrong, even if the next problem had nothing to do with the previous problem.

I kept a 'reminder' on my workshop wall... it is included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	320565  
Old 08-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have a very similar cartoon in my home office. That's also why I do not fix computers as a favor to anyone anymore...because they do not understand why you won't do it for free twice or more times...

I charge according to my skill set and experience needed. If it's simple in-person computer admin stuff, it's about $100 an hour, time starts at MY door. For the computer security type work I do for a living, it's basically astronomical--you have to hire me, pay me very well, and give me a very nice office to work in.

DW, of course, gets all the help she needs for free--she already paid a very steep price. She married me...40+-some years and four kids ago!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I fancy Gary Larson's point of view (aka. The Far Side).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Far Side - Damned If You Do - Damned if You Dont.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	320566  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First off .... as far as I could see when I was there .... JC does indeed work on 30+ year old Airstreams.

Dealer wise, there are several of them I would not let near my trailer on a bet. One that actually *realizes* how incompetent they are is a bit of a surprise. I'd say they are doing you a favor by admitting their lack of competence. There are indeed dealers out there that *do* work on older RV's.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Can’t be a great dealer, IMHO. Go to the factory or call Colonial in NJ. The factory techs are just outstanding.

AS should start deleting dealers who are like vacuum cleaners at the service end of the equation....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Airstream dealer won't work on my Limited!

That dealer is very new to Airstreams. When I saw they started carrying them I looked at reviews they got for the makes they had been selling before the add Airstreams. I didn’t see many good reviews.

Note that I don’t have any personal experience with them, I only saw internet reviews.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
3campers -> You are about a one-day drive from JC. Call them to make an appointment. You will be able to stay in your AS overnight in the terraport. During the day you can see the local sights, shmooze with other AS owners, take the factory tour, etc.. Makes a nice (albeit expensive) mini-vacation.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Airstream of Chicago has serviced my 1999 Classic several times and never once brought up the fact that it’s a 1999 or that I didn’t buy it there. A dealer that refuse’s service I would definitely stay away from.
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Repairmen are Scarcer than Common Sense

Just a wee bit of common sense to consider.

Trailers change over time. Parts become incompatible. Used parts are not dependable and they are getting expensive at Junk Yards. To install a new part into an old Airstream may take more than nuts, screws and some rivets... Those who do not restore 'Vintage' haven't a clue.

People that serviced trailers or automobiles in the 1980s and before have possibly retired a long time ago. Earlier models are really Do it Yourself restorations, not for those challenged by mechanical things and gizmos.

I could work on 1950's to early 1970 Corvettes. Later models... forget it. Would I be interested... no way. My fingernails have been clean since earlier in the week when I replaced my right side Dexter Brake assemblies... I am learning, too much about my trailer, already.

Today, modern 'repairs'... you pull a part out if you can find it and replace. Just because a dealer will not work on a thirty year old trailer does not mean they are incompetent, or mean spirited. It is because of what I said above.

Labor costs will exceed the value of what is being serviced, making some jobs beyond attempting. If I were the dealer... I would have recommended someone who could help you.

If a dealer did a detailed restoration and you decide not to pay. Now the clouded title is an issue, while the labor and parts need to be paid out of the previous profits.

This dealer did you a favor and saved themselves a lot of grief. When you get your estimate for the repair and do not like it... do it yourself and understand why. You could be the world's brightest Electrical Engineer, etc.... but getting into mechanical and structural parts that can go wrong on anything may be a challenge not worth taking.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
You're just a hop, skip and a jump from Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations in Plattsburgh, NY. Great work and excellent advice. colinhydeairstream@gmail.com.
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I worried about how to remove the antenna for a long time. Finally just bought one of the newer paddle type that mount in the same hole with installation. The installer removed the old one, recalled everything, and installed the new one. I think the total cost was well under $200, maybe $150. Cheaper than paying someone to patch the hole from the old one. And they did it onsite.

Taking 30year old trailers or 15 year old cars to a “dealer” for odd repairs is a fustrating game. A Dodge dealer offered to replace a seat lift motor in my Dodge for $1000 for the part and $400 labor. The part is $89.00 at another supplier (mail order).

Jackson center does work on older Airstreams.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
There are Airstream only repair shops. Colin Hyde Restoration is in Plattsburgh N.Y. , he specializes in older trailers. We had some work done to our 2004 31 Classic this past winter. They are usually very busy , here's their number, 518 566 4400, you may get lucky.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
You’re not very far from Andy Thonpson at CanAir in Toronto, either. I’d give him a call and see if he’s an alternative to Colin. Andy’s a real straight shooter.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
I am sure it is challenging for a dealer to work on a 30+ year old trailer. Likely more risk and exposure than it is worth for them.
brick
That said from someone who paid over 100K for a new one... really!!!...

first off... sealing the skins is a time out item... the new one are actually worse than the 30 years ones... ask me how I know from others in our club...

I get so tired of the people who flaunt money at a new one.. when the company doesn't stand behind a older unit. Something logically wrong with that thinking when they face the same wall of age eventually. What most do is flip the new unit they owned... leaving it to the newbie to get 'er fixed... and then make these kinds of statement ... risk exposure etc...

What I find funny is that after 5 years these same people then put a add in and think they are going to get the big bux for their used trailer...

Only thing is... after they make these kinds of enuendos the newbie balks at buying their old trailer.. and so now the person gets mad at the fact he lost all that money on on... and can't recover enough to go buy a new one.

We see these kinds of people pulling in new trailers... and group up as a click... thinking that they are tops... but, when the people who own the older units start compair'n ... these people get miffed when they got less for more money...

Sorry but its true...

I have owned 'em new and as you can see I own a 35 year old one now... wouldn't change or trade it for a new one... even if they gave it to me... the older ones have much more workmanship in them and after all the time.. all the problems have been dealt with... (go by any airstream dealer and you can see lots of new ones in for warrentee work... surprise what the factory is putting out these days... leaving it to the dealer to make right)

As to cost... new one are big bux items... where as the used ones are econimical.. and actually just as fun. When you can go out and buy 3 of the older ones for the price of a new one... if the older goes turtle.. you still have two more to go before you break even for a new one... (that really bugs the people who can't figure it out too...)

As to repairs and updates... the older one lend themselves to being up graded to items even airstream is not putting into the new ones yet...

i.e. New 4 stage converter that will along with LED's and new GC bats make your older trailer ahead of the newbie... and for much less in cost than a new one would be. I know I just did mine... putting a 80 amp progressive design 4 stage converter in along with new GC bats and box out in the A frame area. Then to save energy we went with the warm white LEDs. Gave the trailer a much more warm feeling with the lights on as well as the blue problem the bright white lights in the new AS are having with sleep cycles, eye problems etc...

Getting back to getting it worked on.... we found that their are several places that work ONLY on older airstreams but, these are not airstream dealers.. more independents. They do excellent work.

I saw one getting a new A/C unit put on.. and they had a roll around horseshoe shaped gantry that never touched the trailer... so no weight was ever put on the roof except for where the AC went.

So when you run into these 'businesses' which say they won't work on older AS I would take my business elsewhere.. as they usually are using the velvet glove treatment on the owners of new ones...and charging the big bux for little work... (ask me how I know from local experiance with one here) He charged the owners over 1500 bux to do the maintenance service'ng on a 2 year old trailer. When my friends got it home.. things were not right...and someone forgot to put grease in two of the wheel bearings... along with damaging the thing they broke off the water valve and used the 'parts on order from the factory' card.

When the owners in our club asked for help.. we went to the big box store and got a metal water valve fitting... for less and it was in stock... go figure. Fixing it... the service center called and said they had the part... and that airstream didn't cover it under warent'y... cost 38 bux and would be another 350 to put it in when they brought it back... ops... they told the shop its been fixed and only cost 9 bux for a metal one... 20 bux to put it in...

Boy did the owner get pissed... at the shop... threating that he would not work on their trailer again because they didn't use Airstream genuone parts... They felt like they had been run over by a bus... after he finished with his tripe about how they needed to keep the airstream with factory OEM parts... else the value of the trailer would not be their after "it was basterdized" said the owner.. and promptly rudely hung up.

Intemidation... wow what a case... but be glad you own a Airstream... If its bright and shinny and goes down the road... who cares whats inside so long as it works.. and goes down the road...

Check with other members as to where they are getting their GOOD OLD airstream serviced... else save the money and learn how to do it yourself...

I'm lucky.. I worked in the aircraft industry... so working with alu is not hard for me...
... and yes I smile at the people who go out and buy new ones thinking that they got their money's worth...

I have replaced and overhauled almost all the appliances in mine keeping track of how much I spent... total for a new water heater.. now 10 gal... new propane system, new heater, new water pump, new toilet (big high old age tetford glass) New cooling unit for the refrig.. new ignitor boards from dinosaur... new converter and LED lighting... and a few other misc things to make the silver bullet better than new... total cost less than 6K...

Now compaired to 170K for a new one... does it make economic sense to buy new ? (and most don't have the class inside... more like you looking at the inside of your beer can on the new ones...)

Good luck in mainta'n yours... they old ones are still better made. Not to mention cheaper to own too...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Try this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EternaBon...&wl13=&veh=sem
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote